Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 60

Thread: Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

  1. #1
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22

    Drive Belt tensioner leaking at 40,700 miles per dealer

    I went in for an oil change yesterday for my '16 CX-5 sport. The car has about 40,700 miles on it. They called and said that the drive belt tensioner is leaking and suggested to replace it. Also, suggested to replace the Serpentine belt.

    Do the tensioners go out so early? Would they be covered under the power train warranty?

    The tensioner is about $129 & labor about $171. Serpentine belt is $75.

  2. #2
    Registered Member erhayes's Avatar
    Donated: $10

    Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Coral, FL.
    Posts
    2,747
    I never heard of one with that issue. I certainly would confirm that it is a warranty job or skip and get another opinion. Ed
    Last edited by erhayes; 03-27-2019 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Add information

  3. #3
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by txt990 View Post
    I went in for an oil change yesterday for my '16 CX-5 sport. The car has about 40,700 miles on it. They called and said that the drive belt tensioner is leaking and suggested to replace it. Also, suggested to replace the Serpentine belt.

    Do the tensioners go out so early? Would they be covered under the power train warranty?

    The tensioner is about $129 & labor about $171. Serpentine belt is $75.
    This tensioner does for some reason. Mine lasted till last summer, but I've seen plenty of folks here have to replace it earlier than that.

    As for warranty, I have no idea.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 80k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

  4. #4
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    I never heard of one with that issue. Ed
    It's been posted a talked about on here. Same issue, leaking. Many have had to replace the tensioner, myself included.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  5. #5
    Registered Member
    Donated: $15

    2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB

    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    ABE area, Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,346
    No, not under power train warranty.

  6. #6
    Registered Member tibimakai's Avatar

    2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles-San Dimas, USA
    Posts
    2,653
    Mine went out around 40k. It was already out of warranty, so I can't help with that.
    You should just let them do it. It is pretty hard to get to it. I'm surprised for that low labor fee.
    Serpentine belt $75?! Installed?

  7. #7
    Registered Member

    2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by tibimakai View Post
    Mine went out around 40k. It was already out of warranty, so I can't help with that.
    You should just let them do it. It is pretty hard to get to it. I'm surprised for that low labor fee.
    Serpentine belt $75?! Installed?
    The drive belt tensioner is $129 + $171 labor. The dealer recommended to also replace the serpentine belt while doing the entire job. The cost of the belt is $75.

    How much did you pay for your replacement?

  8. #8
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by txt990 View Post
    The drive belt tensioner is $129 + $171 labor. The dealer recommended to also replace the serpentine belt while doing the entire job. The cost of the belt is $75.

    How much did you pay for your replacement?
    Mine total wise was only a bit more than yours.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  9. #9
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,182
    Let's see...1 tensioner ever 40K miles...hell, I'll have my $2400 warranty 50% covered in tensioner replacements alone by the looks of it.

    OP, the reason it's such a pain is that you have to partially remove the motor from the car to do it, as I understand (remove a motor mount, jack it up, etc.) It's a real pain in the arse.

    Also, OP, you're being over-charged for the belt and tensioner:

    https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/o...ner-pe0315980b
    https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/o...elt-py0115909a
    https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/o...belt-py0115908


    May as well do all the belts while in there.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-27-2019 at 12:24 PM.

  10. #10
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,550
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Let's see...1 tensioner ever 40K miles...hell, I'll have my $2400 warranty 50% covered in tensioner replacements alone by the looks of it.

    OP, the reason it's such a pain is that you have to partially remove the motor from the car to do it, as I understand (remove a motor mount, jack it up, etc.) It's a real pain in the arse.
    Remove the motor? I'm pretty sure that that is not correct.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  11. #11
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,182
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Remove the motor? I'm pretty sure that that is not correct.
    I'm just going by what I was told. There is a very long screw which holds the tensioner on that makes it a requirement to jack up the motor a bit. Again, hearsay.

  12. #12
    Registered Member

    2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    107
    Unobtanium ,that must be hearsay.I replaced my leaking tensioner at 29,000 miles (not covered under powertrain warranty-not listed if you read it) and you would only have to support the engine and remove the motor mount if you couldn't remove a stripped nut or bolt head.There isn't much clearance between the frame rail and the tensioner so a regular socket and ratchet doesn't fit.

    I used a long 17 mm box end wrench ( put on the hex shaped projection on the tensioner casting) to release the tension to remove the serpentine belt and used a long 12 mm box end to loosen the bolt and nut at the top.A six point is best to prevent stripping but I got it to move with a 12 point.The BOLT IS LONG but if you pull it all the way out until it touches the frame rail it will slide out sideways thru a notch molded in the aluminum casting.My belts (both ) looked real good so they were reinstalled.

    If you are planning to do the job yourself I'd suggest taking a good look with good lighting to where everything is and how to get access to it.I'ts time consuming but not horrible if you are used to working on cars.Restricted access is the biggest hurdle and you DO NOT want to strip either the bolt or nut head.
    Cost wise,the dealer quoted about $420 to do the job including both belts replaced.I purchased the tensioner for a little over $100 delivered from a mazda dealer in FL.The belts can be purchased cheap online $20-30.The serpentine is really a small belt looking at it when removed.I wouldn't pay $150 for the tensioner and high prices for the belts if you're doing the job yourself.

    ********** This seems to be a recurring topic with some confusion.Any chance all related threads could be compiled and made a sticky.************ Jmaz
    Last edited by Jmaz; 03-27-2019 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added additional info

  13. #13
    Registered Member

    2014 mazda cx-5 touring FWD

    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    107
    Edit, I only removed and reinstalled the serpentine belt.The water pump belt looked real good also but not necessary to remove for this job. Jmaz

  14. #14
    Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Denver, Colo-fornia
    Posts
    4,550
    Agreed. My engine was never taken out to replace my tensioner. I watched them do it.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

  15. #15
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmaz View Post
    Unobtanium ,that must be hearsay.I replaced my leaking tensioner at 29,000 miles (not covered under powertrain warranty-not listed if you read it) and you would only have to support the engine and remove the motor mount if you couldn't remove a stripped nut or bolt head.There isn't much clearance between the frame rail and the tensioner so a regular socket and ratchet doesn't fit.

    I used a long 17 mm box end wrench ( put on the hex shaped projection on the tensioner casting) to release the tension to remove the serpentine belt and used a long 12 mm box end to loosen the bolt and nut at the top.A six point is best to prevent stripping but I got it to move with a 12 point.The BOLT IS LONG but if you pull it all the way out until it touches the frame rail it will slide out sideways thru a notch molded in the aluminum casting.My belts (both ) looked real good so they were reinstalled.

    If you are planning to do the job yourself I'd suggest taking a good look with good lighting to where everything is and how to get access to it.I'ts time consuming but not horrible if you are used to working on cars.Restricted access is the biggest hurdle and you DO NOT want to strip either the bolt or nut head.
    Cost wise,the dealer quoted about $420 to do the job including both belts replaced.I purchased the tensioner for a little over $100 delivered from a mazda dealer in FL.The belts can be purchased cheap online $20-30.The serpentine is really a small belt looking at it when removed.I wouldn't pay $150 for the tensioner and high prices for the belts if you're doing the job yourself.

    ********** This seems to be a recurring topic with some confusion.Any chance all related threads could be compiled and made a sticky.************ Jmaz
    Roger that. My warranty is bumper to bumper. Was yours out of date?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2018, 10:28 PM
  2. leaking belt tensioner
    By madar in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 07-22-2018, 07:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 03:45 PM
  4. Where to get a belt tensioner?
    By ERABBIT23 in forum Mazda6 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2010, 04:48 PM
  5. 17K miles = New Serpentine Belt Tensioner
    By Stamperman in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 10:05 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •