Reset computer after putting in new battery?

etobs

:
2011 Mazda 2 Yozora
I went to the mazda dealership and they recommended I change my battery (this has been recommended for the past two years, and my car has died multiple times in that time so Im thinking its about time to change it) but I want to change it myself. When I said that the service advisor said something about reseting something to do with the air intake or KAM or something... i honestly got lost and I dont think she knew what she was saying either. I tried googling it but cant really find anything. Not going to pay them 80 bucks to do it, so hoping to find the solution myself.

What do I need to reset if I change my battery? and how can I do it?

Generally once the car has lost power, computers will reset themselves. You can expect for the car to possibly run rough for a bit while the ECU "learns" to get the car running smoothly. Most importantly, you'll probably also lose your radio presets.

Go for it, kind of sounds like they just wanted the money for it.

An easy way to reset pretty much all the electronic systems in a car is to disconnect the battery entirely, (both terminals), and then hold the two connectors together for about 30 seconds. This allows all electrons to ground out and return to a normal state. Then as Moniker said, after starting the car and letting it idle for a few minutes it will "re-learn" the necessary info.

All that being said I've never had to do this while only changing the battery. If you still have idle issues, it is most likely something else.

Back