Mazda's Oil Monitor Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey guys,

How exactly does Mazda's oil life monitor work? The reason I ask is because mine has said 3500 miles for the past 6-800 miles. It never seems like it goes down correctly. I understand that it takes a lot of things into consideration, but if so, then why does it go by mileage instead of percentage?

At what mileage do you make an appointment with your dealer for an oil change (if you follow the monitor system). I am currently running synthetic oil (I think that's all you can use in the CX-5?).

Thanks so much!

I turned that off, and go by 5K interval.
What really annoyed me was that it sounded the warning while I was driving. (1st time)
I thought something was wrong.
I figured it out after I arrived at the destination, and turned it off ever since.

I turned that off, and go by 5K interval.
What really annoyed me was that it sounded the warning while I was driving. (1st time)
I thought something was wrong.
I figured it out after I arrived at the destination, and turned it off ever since.

I may do the same. Does anyone here use the thing?

Guess I*m the only one using it! I*ll be turning it off and just going by mileage from now on.
Don't turn Flexible Oil Change Monitor off and there's nothing wrong to keep it on. I've been using it since new in Mar. 2015 and serves me perfectly although I had to update my PCM firmware due to variety of problems on Flexible oil change monitor feature. It gives you a reminder for oil change due, but I doubt you'll ever get one if you follow your dealer's suggestion changing your oil at about 5,000-mile interval. Make sure to check it and reset it immediately after the oil change if it doesn't show 7,500 miles of oil life. I myself follow my oil life monitor, and change the oil at 30% of oil life remaining, which usually is 5,500 ~ 6,500 miles. Flexible oil change monitor gives me a good reference of when should I change the oil at the best possible time, not wasting any more money, and not producing any more unnecessary used oil which is bad to environment.

I still like the old way on oil life monitor showing the percentage of oil life remaining. The new way displaying mileage for oil life remaining simply confuses people, a bad change by Mazda.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of the oil change algorithm. Just check oil level every couple of months. And, wait for the alert - isn't that the point of the algorithm? Does it really matter if oil life is given in percent or miles? Assumption: It will alert you that the oil needs changing with enough buffer to get an oil change. Another assumption: The algorithm is more attentive (in a way smarter) than you. So forget about it and wait for the alert.
If that doesn't appeal then 2x per year or 1x per year or arbitrary mile limits is better for you.
As it turns out most of us change our oil way more often then needed. However, don't forget to check oil level. You won't kill an engine that is occasionally run with dirty oil - but no oil is a problem.

I use the algorithm in my 3 and it notifies me about once per year to change the oil - about 4500 - 5000 miles. I use nothing but synthetic oil in our vehicles. I change the oil in my MX5 at about the same interval but the mileage is less - about 3000 miles per year.

I use the algorithm in my 3 and it notifies me about once per year to change the oil - about 4500 - 5000 miles. I use nothing but synthetic oil in our vehicles. I change the oil in my MX5 at about the same interval but the mileage is less - about 3000 miles per year.
Flexible OCI is great for people driving minimum miles, or driving more miles in case of 2016 CX-5, at least for powertrain warranty purpose.

I'm a fan of the oil change algorithm. Just check oil level every couple of months. And, wait for the alert - isn't that the point of the algorithm? Does it really matter if oil life is given in percent or miles? Assumption: It will alert you that the oil needs changing with enough buffer to get an oil change. Another assumption: The algorithm is more attentive (in a way smarter) than you. So forget about it and wait for the alert.
If that doesn't appeal then 2x per year or 1x per year or arbitrary mile limits is better for you.
As it turns out most of us change our oil way more often then needed. However, don't forget to check oil level. You won't kill an engine that is occasionally run with dirty oil - but no oil is a problem.
Exactly. I simply dont understand why people want to turn the oil life monitor off. Leave it on even if you want to go Fixed interval. Reset it after each oil change.

Does anyone know if it actually checks the condition of the oil [viscosity, particulates, whatever], or does it ASSUME the condition based on operating parameters?

Its based on mileage, distance travelled and oil condition. The latter is based on a comparison of viscosity just after the oil is changed and as it degrades. For that reason the oil data on newer models must be reset after changing otherwise erroneous warnings can be received. Im not sure if these bulletins are allowed these days so mods remove if not. Anyone else, get it downloaded quick!

Attachments

• Engine Oil Data Reset is necessary on vehicles equipped with new engine oil replacement strategy.pdf
    555.9 KB · Views: 371
Its based on mileage, distance travelled and oil condition. The latter is based on a comparison of viscosity just after the oil is changed and as it degrades. For that reason the oil data on newer models must be reset after changing otherwise erroneous warnings can be received. Im not sure if these bulletins are allowed these days so mods remove if not. Anyone else, get it downloaded quick!
Thanks for the document! This document definitely cleared some questions I have had based on our confusing statement from owner's manual. At least for us in the USA the Reset button in Maintenance App of Infotainment works the same as the trip meter button reset if Flexible OCI is selected.

Ref. No. E007/18 said:
Subject: Engine Oil Data Reset is necessary on vehicles equipped with new engine oil replacement strategy (Wrench indicator light on / Oil Change Due message with wrench mark)
ENGINE OIL DATA RESET Procedure

The trip meter and the average fuel economy are reset when following procedure is performed.

1. Switch the ignition ON (engine off) and change meter display to odometer.
2. Switch the ignition OFF (LOCK).
3. Press and hold the panel light control / trip meter switch with the ignition switched off, then switch the ignition ON (engine off). Keep pressing the panel light control / trip meter switch for more than 7 seconds.
4. The master warning light flashes for few seconds when the PCM engine oil data has been reset. (No flash on CX-9 (TC).)
5. If Fixed setting is selected, also reset CMU engine oil data on center display. How to check Fixed setting on the center display Either of the screens shown below appears depending on the model and the market. On the right of Setting Interval, if Fixed is shown as (a) or checked as (b), Fixed is selected. Use Reset button under Setting Interval.

NOTE: When Flexible is selected, Flexible is shown on the right of Setting Interval or the box is not checked. In this case, Reset button works the same as the panel light control / trip meter switch as described above.

Thanks as always for the illuminating document, Anchorman.

I was hoping it would evaluate the oil directly and not be based on just mileage and time.

The complexity of dealing with five distinct markets with differing features must be a nightmare for Mazda.

I turned mine off, after I tried it a couple of times. My driving style had the monitor showing 40 to 50% remaining life at 10k miles. That is my limit for synthetic as well as the limit listed in the Owner's Manual regardless of the Oil Life indication. So what's the point? I switched to Fixed and 7500 miles, until the warranty is up.

I turned mine off, after I tried it a couple of times. My driving style had the monitor showing 40 to 50% remaining life at 10k miles. That is my limit for synthetic as well as the limit listed in the Owner's Manual regardless of the Oil Life indication. So what's the point? I switched to Fixed and 7500 miles, until the warranty is up.
There's a TSB for the issue like you described. For 2016 CX-5 the wrench indicator and "Oil change due" message should be displayed no matter what at 10,000 miles. If your oil life monitor doesn't do that, you need a PCM firmware update according to the TSB. I had the upgrade and my oil life monitor is working fine since then.

When I bought my CX5 in 2017 Sept, I was made to sign a paper saying that I would follow "flexible oil change and service" as shown on the dash or my 10 year guarantee would not apply. The oil change interval is one year or 20000 km which ever comes first.

Back