2013~2016 Typical Mileage Between Brake Pad Replacements?

webwiz

:
2016.5 CX-5
I just got back from the 22,500 mile maintenance on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT. They reported front brakes at 50% and rear brakes at 60%. This refers to the wear on the pads, right?

They told me when they drop to 40% or below, I should have them replaced. It seems a little "soon" to be at 50-60% since I've got only 22K miles on the car. Is this normal?

What's the typical lifetime (in miles) on original pads, assuming normal driving?

Funny you brought this up now after I just checked my own pads. On my 2014 I went to almost 60k on my front pads, my stepdaughter's 2014 went to 86k on original front pads. Now on my 2016, I'm at 29k and it looks like the front pads might get another 10k miles out of them. I wonder if they changed brake material?

I just got back from the 22,500 mile maintenance on my 2016.5 CX-5 GT. They reported front brakes at 50% and rear brakes at 60%. This refers to the wear on the pads, right?

They told me when they drop to 40% or below, I should have them replaced. It seems a little "soon" to be at 50-60% since I've got only 22K miles on the car. Is this normal?

What's the typical lifetime (in miles) on original pads, assuming normal driving?

At 75k miles I had 4mm left. I changed them at around 95k miles or so, lol

2.png1.pngI changed my pads @ 37k miles and ran the rotors till today @ 60k miles. I just changed my front rotors today as I have been experiencing some weird steering wheel shakes while braking on high speeds (60mph). I thought it was just the wheel out of balance, but after some roadforce balance and shake can still be felt, I finally sort out to the next culprit which are the brakes.

I should have changed the rotors together with the pads but decided to skimp it and just slap in a new set of pads instead.

Good choice to replace both at the same time if you are buying some aftermarket ones at a discount. Lessons learned.

I remember reading here ( on this cx-5 forum) a couple of years ago that it was mentioned that Mazda changed brake pad material for 2016.Anybody else remember this? Jmaz

Back