Pinging!!

They're all the same but different.
The electrical connector, vacuum tube orientation, and mounting clips could be different.

Rockauto lists these two solenoids as the same valve.
Everybody has a different name for them and rarely call it what the FSM calls it.

It always best to check the posted picture and compare it to what you have.

Here's what the guy who owned my parts car did.
The connector wouldn't fit because the electrical tabs were spaced different, so it wouldn't plug in directly.

I'm pretty sure the VICS and VTCS solenoids are exactly the same. (plug and play)

Here's some diagrams from the FSM.

You can see how the PRC solenoid is slightly different.

... and just now I went and swapped the solenoids on the green and white connectors. and now everything is fine. also, maybe that new solenoid was defective but its fine so whatever...

If you swapped the solenoids and one of them is defective, you may throw a VTCS code now.

It might take a while for the code because certain engine conditions have to be met to throw the code.

the new one is now on the VICS connector (the white one). that explains why the engine sounded louder. VTCS actuation depends on temperature right? the engine was sounding like it does when i first start driving on a cold morning... except it was warmed up. then i swapped the solenoids and it's fine. so the valves were either stuck open or stuck closed, possibly screwing up the fuel ratio and causing knocking. i can't wait till my OBDII analyzer arrives. i want to see the live data while everything works so i have a baseline. the VTCS code i had before didn't actually set off the CEL... i assume that means it would pass inspection... but decided to fix it anyway then all this happened lol

... VTCS actuation depends on temperature right? ...

Yes but for some reason, the ECU doesn't monitor
the circuit until the engine is warm and revving above 3000 RPM ?
Perhaps to see if it has shut off ?

... the VTCS code i had before didn't actually set off the CEL... i assume that means it would pass inspection... but decided to fix it anyway then all this happened lol

If they just look to see if the CEL is on and maybe sniff your tailpipe your probably OK but if they plug into your OBDll port then they will find it.

You might be OK if it's not enough to turn on the CEL.

Can I get it in a can that has a screw on lid ?

Is it safe to add to your gas or engine oil ?

No, it is designed to hook into the fuel rail. I've never tried to put it in gas or anything, don't think I would want to. It's pressurized so will spray everywhere if you try to "open" it. Plus it's some pretty strong stuff, don't know what it would do to the tank or lines or filter or etc. You hook the can to the fuel rail and disable the fuel pump. The car runs on the can until the can is empty. Then you just hook the fuel line back up to the rail.

I'll stick with the Seafoam then.
Luckily it's on sale for $10 a can this week.
I'm gonna pickup a few.

Back