Install LED lights on the feet connected to headlights

mesk-one

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi! after a lot of research I already have the LED Footwell lights working automatically with the automatic headlights control, headlights are plugged in and turned off with the road lights.

Those headlights also turn on when you open the car and when you turn it off to exit.

Material:

LED: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B01M198QES/

Cable: https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B07FFTSM77/

2yoy6ab.jpg

I found the lights of the HMI that are connected to this box and are the most comfortable access to reach the Footwell lights.

2ah7d5h.jpg

b96rms.jpg

In this picture we can see the positive and negative. Positive is conected to the HMI lights and negative to the chasis.

1esznc.jpg

3485b9c.jpg

11kjkua.jpg

2moo57s.jpg

xcogb9.jpg

avh340.jpg

28jlekm.jpg

Sorry for my english, If you have any question don't hesitate to ask me

Regards!

Thanks for the write-up, very helpful for those without interior accent lighting (it's just a little too bright for me, though).

This was done on a Generation 1 CX-5, correct?

Thanks for the write-up! It's nice to see a 6-speed manual CX-5 which is not available in the US!

Thanks for the write-up, very helpful for those without interior accent lighting (it's just a little too bright for me, though).

It's definitely a gen-2 CX-5 with 6-speed manual. Cup holders, HVAC control, and "Auto Hold" button are the indications this's a gen-2 CX-5.

CX-5 Evolution 2018 165CV 2WD Manual Artic White

24fxrao.jpg

The picture looks too bright but in real is not the same. Look this picture

2qdad6u.jpg

Last edited:
It's definitely a gen-2 CX-5 with 6-speed manual. Cup holders, HVAC control, and "Auto Hold" button are the indications this's a gen-2 CX-5.

Thanks, I had no idea that the CX-5 didn't come with a manual option in NA. Somehow I also managed to gloss over the other stuff too lol

Nice DIY, thanks for sharing! What is HMI? Is there a way to have it come on and off with the interior lights like when you open doors (ON) close doors (OFF)?

Nice DIY, thanks for sharing! What is HMI? Is there a way to have it come on and off with the interior lights like when you open doors (ON) close doors (OFF)?

HMI is the central console where you can manage the screen and volume and hand brake.

For your second answer YES, You could conect your LED to the car ceiling lights, but you have to cross one cable from the car ceiling to the treadle car, more complex.

nice.

however, if you just want the foot well light on, I think you can connect them to the INPUT to the interior light dimmer switch.

I guess you could measure the OUTPUT voltage of the dimmer switch to see what it puts out in high, low, medium-ish. I suspect the LED strips (or Cold Cathode Light Tubes) have minimum voltage requirements. If you wanted the footwell lighting to dim with the other lights, then using the dimmer switch OUTPUT would be okay; however...

using the dimmer switch INPUT will ensure you have the 12V-14v all the time and the lights will be at their max brightness.

Thanks for the DIY.

Love this, but its a little more advanced than I think I am ready to go...

That being said, I bought a simple set of LEDs from AliExpress ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32983117280.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.584c4c4dxPGYbx ) and was planning to wire it just into the power USB in the center glovebox (obviously making sure it cuts power when the car is off so I dont kill my battery).

I have a good idea of how to hide the wires getting them to the front feet, but I am curious your thoughts on getting the wire from the center box out. I dont want it visible and thus assume I have to drill a small hole. Did you have it off / do you know what is under it? (did a similar project in my '13 Impreza, but it had a OEM hole)

Open to any recommendations,

S

Latest posts

Back