Difference between base Mazda 3 & 6 is now only $900 for '19

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
I just noticed this and it seems odd that Mazda would bring pricing so close. The new 3 is a great car but unless you really just prefer the smaller dimensions, why wouldn't you just get the 6? Prices remain similar too through the trims.

Even worse, the 3 hatch starts like $2K more than the 6.

Then again, when the next gen 6 comes, they'll likely be a similar price jump that the 3 got over the '18 model. Just seems out of balance right now.

Last edited:
Is the 2019 3 quieter than the 6?
Also, some people have just enough room in their garages for the 3 but not the 6.

Is the 2019 3 quieter than the 6?
Also, some people have just enough room in their garages for the 3 but not the 6.

The new 3 is significantly quieter than the '18 but I suspect that the 6 is still quieter. Remember it was vastly redone with a lot more sound insulation and dampening for 2018.

It's true that even if pricing is similar, people still want a smaller car for any number of reasons. Most Americans though associate pricing with size and generally would pick the bigger vehicle if pricing wasn't a factor. Of course gas mileage is a factor too if you drive a ton.

As you mention, I think we're looking at a pricing anomaly as Mazda attempts to move each of their models successively upscale into the gap between mainstream Japanese car pricing (e.g., Honda, Toyota, Nissan) and near-luxury brands (Acura, Lexus, Audi). Whether this works out for them remains to be seen. The new 3 sounds like a very nice car, but the spec sheet stuff (e.g., engine power, transmission gears, rear suspension, fuel mileage) is mid-pack at best. It will be an interesting test if style and "driver feel" can get people into showrooms, especially in a car category that is in precipitous decline.

I'm on the fence - I love the new 3 hatch with the manual, but for the same money I can get a really nice GTI that will run rings around it performance wise, has a much better warranty, and is a little more practical to boot. That makes the Mazda a tough sell. I think Mazda should have offered the new 3 with the turbo motor at introduction to make a bigger splash. They'll probably do it in a year or two, but by then it may be too late. The Skyactive X work is also a distraction and may keep people on the sidelines. That's what happened with the 6 and CX-5 diesel debacles.

- Mark

Last edited:
Sadly, the Volkswagen GTI has been included year after year in Consumer Reports' "Worse of the Worse" listing of vehicles that have had horrendous reliability over the years.
The GTI is somewhat like a Corvette - wins performance tests but falls flat when it comes to dependability.
Stay away from VWs in general; other models do not do well in this regard, either.

Yeah, I'm not thrilled by VW reliability also, but it's a mixed bag.... some models have big issues, but others are more/less Okay. I'm currently driving a Jetta (not by choice - I inherited it from my daughter who wanted to get out from under car payments) and it has been flawless in 25K miles. A lot depends on the year, car, options, etc. And VW has been building the current Golfs for quite a while now whereas Mazda is building a completely new design with the new 3, so for the next year or two, they might be pretty close in reliability. Finally, 6-yrs/72K miles bumper-to-bumper gives a lot of peace of mind vs. Mazda's 3-yr/36K. That's a lot of time to get a feel for whether the car will be reliable long term.

I just wish Mazda hadn't diluted their "premium Japanese" message with an engine/tranny that is behind the times and cheaped out on the rear suspension - reminds me of a time when mfgs would put drum brakes on the rear axle to save $20.

- Mark

The 2015 and 2016 Golfs (only 4 and 3 years old) are rated much worse than average for reliability. Problem areas include the fuel system and noises/leaks. The 13-15 Jettas are rated either below average or much worse than average. What year Jetta do you have?

On the other hand, my 2014, as well as all 2012-2017 Mazda 3s are rated much better than average. My car has been flawless, although the battery is very expensive. It seems that not one German vehicle has the ratings even close to those of most Mazdas.
I bought my 01 Corvette in 01, knowing that it would not be a reliable car. However, there really wasn't much competition so I put up with many issues over the 13 years I owned it. 10 years ago, the company for which I worked had tested a newer version of molecular sieve for an industrial oxygen concentrator. We spent many months testing the new sieve. One of our customers, a Japanese company, sent one of their engineers to qualify the sieve material. I was amazed at how much more thorough this guy was at testing not only our product but also the sieve, itself. His attention to quality, durability, and consistency was amazing.
This is why you rarely hear of serious problems with new models of most Japanese vehicles.

What year Jetta do you have?

2016. As I said, it has been flawless in 25K. I'll probably sell it before the end of warranty. I'm driving it more out of convenience than choice, although it is a nice driving car that gets exceptional fuel mileage.

- Mark

2016. As I said, it has been flawless in 25K. I'll probably sell it before the end of warranty. I'm driving it more out of convenience than choice, although it is a nice driving car that gets exceptional fuel mileage.

- Mark

Hey Mark. Continued good luck with your Jetta. 25K is a small sample size though.
Owned a 1'st gen Jetta and 3'rd gen GLI. Loved the vehicles but I was constantly repairing a number of issues, although I was never left stranded.
Seriously looking at the newest GLI. It drives great! Also thinking about the newest Mazda 3 and 2018 Mazda 6. Neither are the driving vehicles that the GLI is, and they're not meant to be. Now, I have to decide do I go for interior looks that the Mazda's have, or continue with more of a driver's car. The 6 may be out, due to no manual, in Canada. On the other hand, I'm 60 now, as my kids continually remind me, and my wife, though she can drive a manual, is liking an automatic. There lies my answer, I believe.:)

Hey Mark. Continued good luck with your Jetta. 25K is a small sample size though.
Owned a 1'st gen Jetta and 3'rd gen GLI. Loved the vehicles but I was constantly repairing a number of issues, although I was never left stranded.
Seriously looking at the newest GLI. It drives great! Also thinking about the newest Mazda 3 and 2018 Mazda 6. Neither are the driving vehicles that the GLI is, and they're not meant to be. Now, I have to decide do I go for interior looks that the Mazda's have, or continue with more of a driver's car. The 6 may be out, due to no manual, in Canada. On the other hand, I'm 60 now, as my kids continually remind me, and my wife, though she can drive a manual, is liking an automatic. There lies my answer, I believe.:)

Manuals may still be preferred by those that want the full feel of the driving experience. They're almost extinct now though not only because they barely sell, but because they are faster and more efficient than manuals. Manuals used to be preferred in part because they were the ones that were faster and gave better gas mileage. That's when automatics were 3-5 speed. Now it's 6-10 speeds with much better computer control. That's why you can't even get sticks in supercars anymore. A human driver can't be faster than a modern automatic.

Last edited:
Manuals may still be preferred by those that want the full feel of the driving experience. They're almost extinct now though not only because they barely sell, but because they are faster and more efficient than manuals. Manuals used to be preferred in part because they were the ones that were faster and gave better gas mileage. That's when automatics for 3-5 speed. Now it's 6-10 speeds with much better computer control. That's why you can't even get sticks in supercars anymore. A human driver can't be faster than a modern automatic.

Agree with the logic of automatics being faster and more efficient. Regardless, I get so much more joy from the manual. I can only go so fast on city streets so I get more enjoyment in being interactive with the vehicle. Heck, in my wife's SUV, which is fully loaded, and I just don't like driving, I never use the cruise control on highway drives. I still vary my speed, which keeps me more awake. Think I'm a dinosaur.

Agree with the logic of automatics being faster and more efficient. Regardless, I get so much more joy from the manual. I can only go so fast on city streets so I get more enjoyment in being interactive with the vehicle. Heck, in my wife's SUV, which is fully loaded, and I just don't like driving, I never use the cruise control on highway drives. I still vary my speed, which keeps me more awake. Think I'm a dinosaur.

I definitely agree with the fun factor. A stick will make even a slow car fun to drive. So long as you're not commuting in gridlock traffic every day.

Manuals may still be preferred by those that want the full feel of the driving experience. They're almost extinct now though not only because they barely sell, but because they are faster and more efficient than manuals. Manuals used to be preferred in part because they were the ones that were faster and gave better gas mileage. That's when automatics were 3-5 speed. Now it's 6-10 speeds with much better computer control. That's why you can't even get sticks in supercars anymore. A human driver can't be faster than a modern automatic.

My uncle is one of those who still prefer stick than automatic. He admitted the automatic is very comfortable but he feels the car more when shifting.

I also prefer manual cars other than automatic as it gives you a sense to make your car breathe and work according to your driving requirements. It gives you a sense of full authority on your car.

Bought a Mazda 3 recently and drove to satellite dealer lot to pickup in a 2019 Mazda 6. They are worlds apart and the 3 is significantly more refined, quieter, more comfortable in every way. Wait until they give the Mazda 6 the upscale treatment for the 2020 model year.

Bought a Mazda 3 recently and drove to satellite dealer lot to pickup in a 2019 Mazda 6. They are worlds apart and the 3 is significantly more refined, quieter, more comfortable in every way. Wait until they give the Mazda 6 the upscale treatment for the 2020 model year.

The Mazda 6 is already the most upscale car in its class with the possible exception of the not-so good-looking Accord. The GT-Reserve and Signature are near luxury class (better in some ways over some luxury branded models). Many luxury badged cars don't have suede dashes, Nappa leather seats, etc.

I'll take your word for it that the new 3 may be superior in a number of ways and that's amazing if it is. It's supposed to compete with Corolla, LOL. It can't compete with the turbo 6 on performance or rear legroom and such.

I think it'll be the 2021 model year when we see an all new Mazda 6. Unless Mazda releases an all new 2020 late like they are often late with model releases.

I agree on them being later than others. We shall see what they show at the LA auto show. There tends to be a large display for Mazda, at least in previous years. That being said I am not sure which Mazda 6 trim level I was driving as I was a little loopy from all the paperwork that I had been signing.

One thing the 3 is missing is ventilated seats. Wish that was an option. Here in LA I can only use the heated seats a few months of the year.

Back