2016 front brake/rotor replacement

FIRE

Hi all, Im changing the front brakes and rotors on my 2016 Cx 5.
Do I need to put the car into maintenance mode as when changing the rears? or Worry about twisting the pistons?.
It is my first brake job so I appreciate all the help. Im having the rears done at dealer because Ive read the nightmares others go through because of epb, Just trying to avoid paying for all four axles.

Do I need to put the car into maintenance mode as when changing the rears? or Worry about twisting the pistons?.

Very interested as well. Our 2016 needs brakes as well... fronts for now. Is there a sticky on this?

Hi, no need to put car in maintenance mode for fronts. MM is for the rear only to disengage the Electronic Parking Brake. For the fronts you can just push the pistons straight back. Good luck and let us know what replacement parts you end up using.

It is my first brake job so I appreciate all the help. Im having the rears done at dealer because Ive read the nightmares others go through because of epb, Just trying to avoid paying for all four axles.
Front brake is easier than the rear, and like korean_mazda said, Maintenance Mode is only for rear disc brakes with Electrical Parking Brake. And neither front nor rear brakes need to twist the caliper pistons. A disk brake pad spreader would help for your job pushing back the piston but not a necessary brake tool. You can also turn / resurface the rotors by a shop or auto parts store if they have enough thickness by specs and you want reuse them to save some money.

Make sure to lubricate the caliper pins with rubber-friendly brake grease while you're there as many had found they lack of grease from factory.

Just change my rotors this morning at the front (rear to follow) for the first since I bought it 2012. It had one pad replacement in between and turn out that its way overdue.
1.png2.png
As for removing a rotor, i borrowed a nut from the engine bay (find something that a 12mm socket would fit) and use it on the hole provided in the rotor.
Worked like a charm and did not have to do some hammering/jiggling.

Socket size for the caliper is 14mm and the caliper bracket is 17mm. You will need a breaker bar for the bracket. If you cant find enough room, turn the steering towards you.

I just bought an aftermarket for replacement.

Back