2020 Refresh Speculation

I hope they continue the new approach they started on the new 3. 2 different platforms, with one geared for the sportier driver.

The other I would add is an updated key fob with the side buttons, cooled second row seats, and more noise/ sound insulation. I could also see them moderately revising the headlights and new wheel designs to align the CX-5 approachs. Outside of that, the exterior will probably not change much

The other I would add is an updated key fob with the side buttons, cooled second row seats, and more noise/ sound insulation. I could also see them moderately revising the headlights and new wheel designs to align the CX-5 approachs. Outside of that, the exterior will probably not change much

Oh yeah, the new key fob introduced on new Mazda 3. Although it's bigger which I wish wasn't the case.

I also forgot about the chance for new wheels. I would say that is likely.

Oh yeah, the new key fob introduced on new Mazda 3. Although it's bigger which I wish wasn't the case.

I also forgot about the chance for new wheels. I would say that is likely.

Yeah, the thing is huge. I assume the reasoning was a bigger transmitter for added range as well as potential future integration of remote start function on the main fob since historically you had to have 2 fobs.

I think we will see a front end change to something similar to the CX-8. That would make the CX-9 blend in better with the CX-5, Mazda3 and Mazda6.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about an update for 2020? Spy shots? Camo shots? Anything in Japanese we can translate? Perhaps a refresh to keep up with the new Explorer, updated Highlander, new Telluride, and new Palisade all rolling out?

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now, and my wife and I are convinced on a CX-9. We love the styling, the features, performance, and driving dynamics. We both have Mazda 3s and couldn't be happier. We've had our 3s for nearly 9 years, and besides regular maintenance, are absolutely solid cars and fun to drive.

Time is on our side, but it will have to happen within the next 12 months. If memory serves me right, the 2019 was announced near the end of July or beginning of August of 2018. We are both hoping and wishing some of the new cues from the new Mazda 3 and the CX-30 are incorporated into an updated CX-9.

Has anyone seen or heard anything about an update for 2020? Spy shots? Camo shots? Anything in Japanese we can translate? Perhaps a refresh to keep up with the new Explorer, updated Highlander, new Telluride, and new Palisade all rolling out?

I've been lurking on this forum for awhile now, and my wife and I are convinced on a CX-9. We love the styling, the features, performance, and driving dynamics. We both have Mazda 3s and couldn't be happier. We've had our 3s for nearly 9 years, and besides regular maintenance, are absolutely solid cars and fun to drive.

Time is on our side, but it will have to happen within the next 12 months. If memory serves me right, the 2019 was announced near the end of July or beginning of August of 2018. We are both hoping and wishing some of the new cues from the new Mazda 3 and the CX-30 are incorporated into an updated CX-9.

A 2020 refresh is all but certain. It'll already be the 5th model year although this model was a delayed 2016 release making it closer to it's 4th year. Design still looks fresher than new for 2020 competitors (Explorer, Highlander, Telluride, IMO. Mazda is always a step ahead so they'll freshen it anyway. To answer your opening question, no there's no leaks of any kind yet. All we can do is speculate based on the new Mazda 3 which displays Mazda's latest changes. One thing about Mazda as of late is its unified design language inside and out. They tend to share many parts as a small company needs to do to make a buck. So every Mazda has the same center control knob and surrounding buttons for example. The new 3 has a new design and guaranteed this will end up in all Mazda's. Including the wider screens that display the updated Mazda Connect system. Pretty sure we'll see a new 10"+ widescreen on top off the dash next year. Plenty of room for it. Some competitors are putting in 12" displays although only for the top trims.

Also, look back at all the other posts for other updates we're expecting to come along.

A 2020 refresh is all but certain. It'll already be the 5th model year although this model was a delayed 2016 release making it closer to it's 4th year. Design still looks fresher than new for 2020 competitors (Explorer, Highlander, Telluride, IMO. Mazda is always a step ahead so they'll freshen it anyway. To answer your opening question, no there's no leaks of any kind yet. All we can do is speculate based on the new Mazda 3 which displays Mazda's latest changes. One thing about Mazda as of late is its unified design language inside and out. They tend to share many parts as a small company needs to do to make a buck. So every Mazda has the same center control knob and surrounding buttons for example. The new 3 has a new design and guaranteed this will end up in all Mazda's. Including the wider screens that display the updated Mazda Connect system. Pretty sure we'll see a new 10"+ widescreen on top off the dash next year. Plenty of room for it. Some competitors are putting in 12" displays although only for the top trims.

Also, look back at all the other posts for other updates we're expecting to come along.

Solid! I can only hope now.

Solid! I can only hope now.

If I were you, I'd definitely wait until the fall to see what happens if you can. You could always fall back on a leftover 2019 if for some reason, the changes aren't satisfactory. Doubtful though.

Hi,
My name actually is Anh Vu Nguyen. I made a typo flipping "vu" when I registered.
Welcome to the forum.

Oh hehe. Thanks. I'm picking up the CX-9 on Monday. I'll miss the CLA 45 though. Hopefully the CX-9 community gets bigger for 2019.

I am also anxiously awaiting the 2020 changes to make a decision. Most interested in the Mazda3 infotainment system being migrated over, as well as any possible interior changes. Hoping for a bit more power from the 2.5T and changes to the AWD system (unlikely). New exterior colors from the Mazda3 would be nice, including the blacked out wheels.

2020 cx-9 will most likely be the same as the 2019.

Here is a minor change I think will happen.

Signature trim will get the "Sg" badging on the rear.

And that's pretty much it. We likely wont see the new infotainment like on the mazda 3. It's not a touch based UI so it likely will not migrate over to the touchscreen of the CX-9. The major refresh will probably happen in 2022. We might see better interior materials, configurable led accent lighting, panoramic roof, better sound insulation and of course a higher price since Mazda is moving upmarket.

Back