2020 Refresh Speculation

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
Here we can discuss likely changes due for the 2020 model year. Or talk realistic wish list changes.

Here's what I believe we'll see.

Exterior:

- The prerequisite new grill that all refreshes get first. Here we'll see the mesh insert that has made it's way to all other current Mazda's into the CX-9 replacing the slats we have now. Only question is if they tweak the overall shape. Other Mazda's have gotten the extra chrome running under the headlights. That's possible.

- Aside from that, I honestly don't believe we'll see much else done to the body. Headlight update is possible but they already still look more up to date than most of the competition. Look at new Telluride, only the top line trim gets LED's and the unit is a basic rectangular shape. Current CX-9 tails still look way more up to date than anything else.

-New colors?

Interior:

- Take a look at the new Mazda 3 / CX-30 for hints. Here we'll see a new widescreen infotainment unit with the new generation of Mazda Connect. Thank God it's finally faster and smoother.

New Commander knob and accompying buttons seen in Mazda 3

Updated higher resolution camera's especially to improve 360 views.

- possible addition of rear ventilated seats in top trims (Hyundai and Kia has started this).

Those are the main things I can think of right now.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Auto Hold function and the side mirrors tilting down when reversing. These I believe are also available on the new Mazda3. And wireless charging pad as an option (from Mazda3 as well).

Auto Hold function and the side mirrors tilting down when reversing. These I believe are also available on the new Mazda3. And wireless charging pad as an option (from Mazda3 as well).

Yup, those are good ones I didn't think of. They also really need to link mirrors to memory seats.

Last edited:
I'm hoping they change the 3rd row access to do what Infiniti does, where the seat bottom flips up to allow the 2nd row seat to move further forward.

I haven't actually tried to do that in my CX-9 because it's had a car seat base in it since the first day I got it, but if it doesn't already do that, it would be nice to see that as an upgrade.

I'm hoping they change the 3rd row access to do what Infiniti does, where the seat bottom flips up to allow the 2nd row seat to move further forward.

I haven't actually tried to do that in my CX-9 because it's had a car seat base in it since the first day I got it, but if it doesn't already do that, it would be nice to see that as an upgrade.

Interesting feature. I don't think any other vehicle has that. Unfortunately, those types of changes don't happen for refreshes.

Here we can discuss likely changes due for the 2020 model year. Or talk realistic wish list changes.

Here's what I believe we'll see.

Exterior:

- The prerequisite new grill that all refreshes get first. Here we'll see the mesh insert that has made it's way to all other current Mazda's into the CX-9 replacing the slats we have now. Only question is if they tweak the overall shape. Other Mazda's have gotten the extra chrome running under the headlights. That's possible.

- Aside from that, I honestly don't believe we'll see much else done to the body. Headlight update is possible but they already still look more up to date than most of the competition. Look at new Telluride, only the top line trim gets LED's and the unit is a basic rectangular shape. Current CX-9 tails still look way more up to date than anything else.

-New colors?

Interior:

- Take a look at the new Mazda 3 / CX-30 for hints. Here we'll see a new widescreen infotainment unit with the new generation of Mazda Connect. Thank God it's finally faster and smoother.

New Commander knob and accompying buttons seen in Mazda 3

Updated higher resolution camera's especially to improve 360 views.

- possible addition of rear ventilated seats in top trims (Hyundai and Kia has started this).

Those are the main things I can think of right now.

What do you guys think?

I think you got it but I think most of that will be 2021 if it's a full new model. I like the grill the way it is better than the mesh style but thats just me. I don't think they will change the exterior much for 2020. Maybe new paint colors. They could add a charging pad and a few other things to the interior but I think it's 2021 before we see a whole new interior that looks like the new Mazda 3. Just a guess. Personally I'd like to see them beef up the exhaust tips a bit since at least they are real. It will be interesting to see if Mazda ever caves on the pano-sunroof debate. Since CarPlay is available that seems to be the #1 complaint out there.

I think you got it but I think most of that will be 2021 if it's a full new model. I like the grill the way it is better than the mesh style but thats just me. I don't think they will change the exterior much for 2020. Maybe new paint colors. They could add a charging pad and a few other things to the interior but I think it's 2021 before we see a whole new interior that looks like the new Mazda 3. Just a guess. Personally I'd like to see them beef up the exhaust tips a bit since at least they are real. It will be interesting to see if Mazda ever caves on the pano-sunroof debate. Since CarPlay is available that seems to be the #1 complaint out there.

Won't be an all new model before 2022, likely 2023. CX-9 still feels and looks close to latest and greatest. Remember it was a late release as a 2016. It's only 3 years old. Current Explorer is in its 9th year and is still best seller. Best sellers normally get redesigned fastest.

So there will be the usual mid-cycle refresh, and Mazda often makes significant changes. Mazda 6 is on it's 3rd new interior this gen. The way Mazda has been sharing many interior parts lately, looking at the new 3 I think gives a good look at the changes coming. It is also the first Mazda to even get the new Mazda font on the badging.

interesting to see a refresh/facelife...the 4 round tail light that debuted on the 3, dropping of the grill lines in exchange of a bigger and "mesh" grill that is seen on the new 6 and 3 and cx-5

JPL I think you're spot on with the mesh grille replacing the horizontal bars. I think they might also do a front and rear bumper facelift. Wishful thinking, but maybe they'll upgrade the foglights, make the "vents" above the foglights wider to make them more prominent and give the car a slightly sportier look from the front. Maybe as 274HP says, the liftgate will be updated to replace the horizontal lights and reverse lights with round lights like the 3.

Just watched a Mazda3 review and another thing I hope trickles down is the redesigned smart keyless entry. No more buttons on the door handles!

As Mazda tends to use (more or less) the same Infotainment system on all of their vehicles, the CX9 will likely get a version of the newer Mazda 3 system * which I think may be exactly the wrong way to go.

(According to the Youtube vids I*ve seen), their new system features a non-touch screen, a step backwards from their current touch screen, and they moved it farther away from the driver!

Meanwhile all of the newest and very best designed IP*s are moving to larger touch screens, closer to the driver.

Just to be clear, I think the current CX9 screen (that is both touch screen and a controller on the center console) is the best option. I think moving backwards would be a mistake.

Just watched a Mazda3 review and another thing I hope trickles down is the redesigned smart keyless entry. No more buttons on the door handles!

How does the keyless work now? Touch-sensitive pads on the backs of the handles? If so, I REALLY hope they add that to the redesign!

As Mazda tends to use (more or less) the same Infotainment system on all of their vehicles, the CX9 will likely get a version of the newer Mazda 3 system * which I think may be exactly the wrong way to go.

(According to the Youtube vids I*ve seen), their new system features a non-touch screen, a step backwards from their current touch screen, and they moved it farther away from the driver!

Meanwhile all of the newest and very best designed IP*s are moving to larger touch screens, closer to the driver.

Just to be clear, I think the current CX9 screen (that is both touch screen and a controller on the center console) is the best option. I think moving backwards would be a mistake.

I think they had no choice on the Mazda3 as they moved everything forwards (cup holders, center console, gear shifter, HVAC controls, etc). The screen is out of reach from normal driving position.

I don't care either way, but I have used the touch screen twice in the month I've owned it. First was when I tested that it works, second was when I was out in an area with limited reception so I can't use Android Auto to navigate and I had to type in the address on the OEM navi.

How does the keyless work now? Touch-sensitive pads on the backs of the handles? If so, I REALLY hope they add that to the redesign!

YES! Touch sensitive pads on back of handles to unlock, then on the front to lock.

I'm okay with the new system being a non-touch screen. I've never ever had to use it personally. It also makes sense to move it closer to the windshield, because it would be closer to the driver's FOV. Since it's a non-touch screen, it doesn't matter that it's further away (as long as the display is still easy to read).

I think it's definitely a gamble to move in a direction opposite from the masses in terms of touchscreens, but I hope it pays off for them.

YES! Touch sensitive pads on back of handles to unlock, then on the front to lock.

Oooh, I could see myself trading my 2018 in just for this feature LOL. Sounds crazy, but I loved the advanced keyless system in my IS250.

The problem with touch sensor on the back of the handle is that you couldn't unlock all doors quickly. You have to open the driver's door then unlock them from the inside. I personally don't mind either one.

The problem with touch sensor on the back of the handle is that you couldn't unlock all doors quickly. You have to open the driver's door then unlock them from the inside. I personally don't mind either one.

I don't think this is the case. The touch sensor is just a more sophisticated version of the request switch/button on the outer handles of the CX-9 and CX-5 (and whatever other model has the smart keyless system). With the smart keyless system, you can change what pressing the button does in the Infotainment settings. I think that by default, pressing the button on the driver's side door only unlocked the driver's door, but I changed mine so that pressing the button unlocks all doors. With the advanced smart keyless system, you'd just change the same setting to unlock all doors instead of just the single door.

My IS250 had the touch sensors that would unlock all doors as well, but I don't remember if that was the default or if there was a way to change that.

It's funny we're talking about things "trickling down" from the lowest model (3) to Mazda's flagship. But that's how the cycle sometimes works. The 3 just happens to be the latest redesign so it is getting many new things first.

I have only used the touch screen a handful of times to input tough addresses. Going forward, I wouldn't care too much if they got rid of touch. Still, I think they should keep the function for some scenarios. Now with Android Auto and Apple Carplay, voice inputting is far better and you no longer need to touch the screen.

Bottom line though, this next generation of Connect looks much slicker. Widescreen format definitely looks good with dual info presented rather than just one category at a time.

It is a more expensive setup to implement but it's a tech that's been around for many years starting with luxury cars. You just place your hand in the handle and it beeps to unlock. Usually, the front of the handle has a sensor as well to press and lock.

The Mazda 3 really is the base car for everything that Mazda does (except the Miata). Everything you see in the new Mazda 3 will make its way to the CX cars eventually.

The biggest thing I would like Mazda to do is to add paint color options and optional interior colors. And I would love for the USB plugs to be put in better locations (in the front). Otherwise, I am good.

The Mazda 3 really is the base car for everything that Mazda does (except the Miata). Everything you see in the new Mazda 3 will make its way to the CX cars eventually.

The biggest thing I would like Mazda to do is to add paint color options and optional interior colors. And I would love for the USB plugs to be put in better locations (in the front). Otherwise, I am good.

Agree, more interior colors would be so so nice. The Mazda booth at the Chicago International Auto Show had IIRC 3 or 4 variations of their Nappa leather (brown, grey, sand, etc). I would've gotten the signature but we are part of the minority that didn't like the auburn color of the interior.

As for another feature that gets implemented: paddle shifters. Someone already retrofitted it (but the thread kinda died down). I know it's a big SUV, but it would be so nice to have and will make it feel sportier.

Back