Test drove a Honda Passport Elite

Timing chain vs belt......I'd be more concerned of Honda transmissions when pared to V6 engines. Or perhaps they resolved that?

Completely agree.

Everytime I see a CX-7 I think it is an ugly first attempt.

CX-5 on the other hand? Looks great! Exceptions being that the silver roof rails really ruin the look for me on most of the colors.

Yeah, I'm glad my dad's CX-5 doesn't have roof rails. Much cleaner looking IMO.

Timing chain vs belt......I'd be more concerned of Honda transmissions when pared to V6 engines. Or perhaps they resolved that?
Although my 183K-mile, 21-year-old 1998 Honda CR-V is almost bullet-proof, but I personally am not interested in buying another Honda at this time. Its reliability is not as good as it used to be, and the technology design is going to wrong direction IMO.

9-speed transmission is from ZF which has been improved on software programming over these years. At least Honda didn't put a CVT in this new Passport like its CR-V.

Although my 183K-mile, 21-year-old 1998 Honda CR-V is almost bullet-proof, but I personally am not interested in buying another Honda at this time. Its reliability is not as good as it used to be, and the technology design is going to wrong direction IMO.

9-speed transmission is from ZF which has been improved on software programming over these years. At least Honda didn't put a CVT in this new Passport like its CR-V.

Cousin had a 1997 CRV and went all out on suspension upgrades. Only sold it since his family grew.

I always thought it was because Honda's v-6 engines were too strong for the Auto transmissions they were paired to. Nobody does N/A engines like Honda and their Turbo engines are looking really good.

According to Consumer Reports' very large data base, Honda is ranked 16th out of 29 vehicle manufacturers. Mazda is ranked 3rd, just behind Lexus and Toyota.

Cousin had a 1997 CRV and went all out on suspension upgrades. Only sold it since his family grew.

I always thought it was because Honda's v-6 engines were too strong for the Auto transmissions they were paired to. Nobody does N/A engines like Honda and their Turbo engines are looking really good.
Honda has had excellent engine design along with reliability before. But that's a thing in the past.

I paid special attention to the transmission on my test drive and didn't notice anything.

Honda has 2 models on consumer report's top 10 least reliable vehicle recently, the company as a whole is definitely going downhill in terms of reliability but I think the Passport will be fine as the Pilot its based on seems pretty solid.

At least with the Odyssey, transmission issues seemed to be largely ATF related. The old fluid (Z1) was degrading too quickly with the published maintenance schedule. Makes sense to me as the same fluid for a Civic and an Accord probably shouldnt have been used ata long interval for a 4,000+ lb vehicle. It was replaced with DW-1, but even then the 50k maintenance interval was too long and it was shortened to 30k. Most OdyClubbers (myself included) do an ATF drain and fill every other oil change (~3.5 quarts) to keep it fresh. Seems to be the best way forward based on UOAs for the five and six speeds.

The 9 speed on the other hand? No idea on long term reliability. I got the 2017, the last model year of a very mature design paired with a six speed transmission. The 2018s had a crappy transmission option that was phased out for the 2019. I believe the 9 speed (shockingly) was the more reliable and quieter one from the start and nobody saw that coming.

Last edited:
Most OdyClubbers (myself included) do an ATF drain and fill every other oil change (~3.5 quarts) to keep it fresh.

And now CR-V owners are being told to do engine oil changes more often to keep it fresh. I'm seeing a trend here..

Jesus. Sounds awful.

Not as bad as it sounds to be honest. OEM ATF fluid is $32 delivered from Amazon and honest to god its easier to change than the motor oil. The drain plug is right up front under the bumper. Dont even have to put the van on ramps.

And now CR-V owners are being told to do engine oil changes more often to keep it fresh. I'm seeing a trend here..

That would piss me off royally. I got the last model year before they switched to direct injection. Havent heard any horror stories of fuel dilution in the V6.

At least with the Odyssey, transmission issues seemed to be largely ATF related. The old fluid (Z1) was degrading too quickly with the published maintenance schedule. Makes sense to me as the same fluid for a Civic and an Accord probably shouldnt have been used ata long interval for a 4,000+ lb vehicle. It was replaced with DW-1, but even then the 50k maintenance interval was too long and it was shortened to 30k. Most OdyClubbers (myself included) do an ATF drain and fill every other oil change (~3.5 quarts) to keep it fresh. Seems to be the best way forward based on UOAs for the five and six speeds.

The 9 speed on the other hand? No idea on long term reliability. I got the 2017, the last model year of a very mature design paired with a six speed transmission. The 2018s had a crappy transmission option that was phased out for the 2019. I believe the 9 speed (shockingly) was the more reliable and quieter one from the start and nobody saw that coming.

The transmission in our 2015 Odyssey Elite was making clunking sounds going in and out of park, which scared me to no end. It would also make a thumping noise when doing a hard acceleration from a cruising speed. We traded it in for my CX-9.

I think it's really ugly, but I think most crossovers are really ugly. Honestly I think Mazda is the only one who has been able to pull it off and it took them a while. The CX-7 was ugly and the first gen CX-9 was ugly too.
Jaguar Fpace is hot. Porsche's is easy on the eyes. And I like the 2 tone XC 60 from Volvo. That's it I think.

The transmission in our 2015 Odyssey Elite was making clunking sounds going in and out of park, which scared me to no end. It would also make a thumping noise when doing a hard acceleration from a cruising speed. We traded it in for my CX-9.

The clunk coming out of park is fairly normal. Mine does that occasionally on a hill even with the parking brake engaged. Going into it? Parking pawl must have been misaligned. Thumping noise when accelerating? Yeah, probably a good call trading in for peace of mind lol!

Sometimes getting the spark plugs changed in a v6 is expensive because the bank on the firewall side needs a ton of crap removed to get to it. My old car had a small v6 and the dealer charged about $400 to do a spark plug change. The CX-5 with the straight 4 is sweet.

Sometimes getting the spark plugs changed in a v6 is expensive because the bank on the firewall side needs a ton of crap removed to get to it. My old car had a small v6 and the dealer charged about $400 to do a spark plug change. The CX-5 with the straight 4 is sweet.

If you think V6 plugs are bad, try changing H-6 (boxer) plugs.

Jaguar Fpace is hot. Porsche's is easy on the eyes. And I like the 2 tone XC 60 from Volvo. That's it I think.

They killed it with the F-Pace, in literally EVERY way. That said, I don't think I could own one for the price, given Jag's history of reliability. I'd rather the Macan S or something, even if I like the F-Pace a bit better not factoring long-term reliability.

Back