Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Signature mpg

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    Mileage figures are all over the place.

I live in a rural area where a 16 mile trip to the bank only encounters 2 stop signs (meaning no stop & go and minimum 45 MPH), and I average 22MPG-23MPG. My tires are at 38PSI. I don't have a lead foot, and cannot fathom how these high mileage figures are achieved.
    hmm..my driving conditions are very similar to yours and as I posted above, I got 27.9 on my 2nd fill up with 87 octane, GTR AWD.
    My tires are out 35. I certainly have been testing the turbos power on every short trip, so its not like I'm driving 40-45 all the time with no quick accelerations.
    22-23 in those conditions don't seem right.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature; 2014 CX-9 Touring AWD

I don't have a lead foot, and cannot fathom how these high mileage figures are achieved.
    My guess would be that your problem is all the evasive maneuvers to avoid deer.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll thank you to kindly see yourself off of my lawn.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Signature mpg

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    Iím jealous. Iím getting about 18-19 MPG with my 2019 Touring FWD with mainly city/stop-and-go driving. I thought Iíd be getting better gas mileage with the Touring, but I kinda wish I went with the turbo option now. Might have been better off....
    Mileage figures are all over the place.

I live in a rural area where a 16 mile trip to the bank only encounters 2 stop signs (meaning no stop & go and minimum 45 MPH), and I average 22MPG-23MPG. My tires are at 38PSI. I don't have a lead foot, and cannot fathom how these high mileage figures are achieved.
    That's normal. Not every engine coming out of factory created equal. Some engines will perform better than others due to manufacture tolerance allowed on parts. A poorer performance engine is less efficient, hence you get poorer gas mileage even though you've tried every way to save gas.

When 2.5T just came out for gen-2 CX-9 in 2016, same complaints on gas mileage happened. For some reason 2.5T does have wide variance on gas mileage in real world experience.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

I'll update this, as we've finally taken a trip that isn't always stop and go.

We had been averaging about 20mpg's (barely) for the first 7 months and 4k miles. We took a trip up North, where we were able to keep a pretty constant 50-70 MPH speed. We averaged above 28mpg's for the whole trip. We didn't buy the CX-5 for its fuel economy, but I was pretty impressed with that.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    I'll update this, as we've finally taken a trip that isn't always stop and go.

We had been averaging about 20mpg's (barely) for the first 7 months and 4k miles. We took a trip up North, where we were able to keep a pretty constant 50-70 MPH speed. We averaged above 28mpg's for the whole trip. We didn't buy the CX-5 for its fuel economy, but I was pretty impressed with that.
    I have a roadtrip coming up soon too so I'm hoping I can see similar mpg as you have. I average 19 mpg with 80% city driving in SoCal and will be driving up to the mountains in NorCal next week.

Registered Member

My best tank yet was Kalamazoo to Walcott, Iowa. Sure one tank, filling at different pumps, isnít the way to gauge fuel economy, but 30.2 MPG was pretty cool.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    Quote Originally Posted by leeharvey418 View Post
    My guess would be that your problem is all the evasive maneuvers to avoid deer.
    Yeh, they're not like squirrels, that's for sure

I hate it when the rut hits. They really get careless.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    That's normal. Not every engine coming out of factory created equal. Some engines will perform better than others due to manufacture tolerance allowed on parts. A poorer performance engine is less efficient, hence you get poorer gas mileage even though you've tried every way to save gas.

When 2.5T just came out for gen-2 CX-9 in 2016, same complaints on gas mileage happened. For some reason 2.5T does have wide variance on gas mileage in real world experience.
    I've wondered if resetting the computer might help. I really babied it through the break in period. Perhaps it learned some bad habits.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

I've wondered if resetting the computer might help. I really babied it through the break in period. Perhaps it learned some bad habits.
    It will re-learn your driving profile. When someone else drives my vehicle, it drives differently for a bit, after I get it back.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    It will re-learn your driving profile. When someone else drives my vehicle, it drives differently for a bit, after I get it back.
    how so?

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by theplayer11 View Post
    how so?
    The shifts just feel "off". Crap explanation, but if you've experienced it, you understand.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    The shifts just feel "off". Crap explanation, but if you've experienced it, you understand.
    So this "learning" is not an early on one-and-done/you're-stuck-with-it thing?

It sounds like you're saying that it's constant and it applies recent experience and not long-term cumulative data. If that's the case, then I don't need to bother with it.

And given that I go from conservative mode 90% of the time to hitting that stretch of road I love when I'm in manual mode flying uphill and around corners wound out in 3rd gear (damn, the turbo is nice), my car's gonna need therapy trying to figure me out.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

So this "learning" is not an early on one-and-done/you're-stuck-with-it thing?

It sounds like you're saying that it's constant and it applies recent experience and not long-term cumulative data. If that's the case, then I don't need to bother with it.

And given that I go from conservative mode 90% of the time to hitting that stretch of road I love when I'm in manual mode flying uphill and around corners wound out in 3rd gear (damn, the turbo is nice), my car's gonna need therapy trying to figure me out.
    As best i can tell yes. This is my subjective opinion.

Registered Member

2016 CX-5 Grand Touring

Just finished my first road trip, figured I'd share my mileage here...

I now have about 2k miles on my 2019 Signature, after putting on about 500 miles driving up 95 from DC to Boston. On the trip, I averaged just over 27 mpg, hitting some congestion and stop and go, and spending the rest of trip trying to drive about 75 mph. Very happy I could beat the EPA rating without trying hard.

Driving around the Boston suburbs, with fewer traffic lights and longer stretches of ~40 mph road, I can average over 30 mpg

Using the car as I normally do, driving in downtown traffic with significant stop and go, and idling, I'm lucky if I crack 20 mpg. The AC I've noticed will significantly drop my mpg in city traffic.

Overall, I'm very pleased. The turbo engine is getting basically the same mileage as my 2016 CX-5 FWD got with the NA 2.5L. On the same trip up and down the east coast, I've averaged 28-29 mpg in the NA engine, but it doesn't like cruising around 80 nearly as much as the turbo. If you'd feather it around 65 mpg, it could match the 32 mpg EPA rating...on flat surfaces, in mild temperatures. Hitting the EPA estimates (or even coming close) with the NA engine was consistently much harder than it is in the turbo.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCdvr View Post
    Just finished my first road trip, figured I'd share my mileage here...
    Minus the bit about testing the effect of AC use (what are we, animals?) this pretty closely matches my experience.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567