Signature mpg

Im jealous. Im getting about 18-19 MPG with my 2019 Touring FWD with mainly city/stop-and-go driving. I thought Id be getting better gas mileage with the Touring, but I kinda wish I went with the turbo option now. Might have been better off....

I*m jealous. I*m getting about 18-19 MPG with my 2019 Touring FWD with mainly city/stop-and-go driving. I thought I*d be getting better gas mileage with the Touring, but I kinda wish I went with the turbo option now. Might have been better off....

My MPG on daily use went from 24.5 to 26-29 with the change from a 2015 touring to the turbo, and my road-trip mpg went up 1-2mpg, as well.

You wouldnt have. My city mileage is pretty abysmal. Thank God for long legs on the highway, though.

Thank you - makes me feel a bit better. Still, I miss the power of a turbo. Then again, Ill have to move out of Los Angeles in order to see my MPG improve.

Have the GTR AWD Turbo since June 1st. Put About 700 mi on her before driving 1,350 mi from OK to FL. Some 75 mph and some 70 . . . Mostly flat terrain.
Average of 26.5 mi/gal which I am pretty happy with as my previous Jeep only went at about 20mi/gal. I did air the tires to 38 PSI.

The manual states to idle for at least 30 seconds in order for the oil to cool down.

I hadn't seen that in the manual and finally found it on page 3-54. It reads: "After driving at freeway speeds or up a long hill, trailer towing for a long time, idle the engine for at least 30 seconds before stopping it. Otherwise, the turbocharger could be damaged."

Fortunately, most of us don't drive at freeway speeds through our neighborhoods or in parking lots so those of us that weren't aware of the recommendation hopefully haven't caused any extra turbo wear.

It*s not about wear on the turbo itself, it*s to cool the turbo bearing. It*s probably not a problem unless you stop the car immediately after driving at highway speeds (I.e. pulling off onto the shoulder and stopping). If you get off the highway and spend a little time driving on city streets, stopping at a light or two, driving around a parking lot, etc., 30 more seconds really isn*t going to make a difference.

I*m jealous. I*m getting about 18-19 MPG with my 2019 Touring FWD with mainly city/stop-and-go driving. I thought I*d be getting better gas mileage with the Touring, but I kinda wish I went with the turbo option now. Might have been better off....

Mileage figures are all over the place.

I live in a rural area where a 16 mile trip to the bank only encounters 2 stop signs (meaning no stop & go and minimum 45 MPH), and I average 22MPG-23MPG. My tires are at 38PSI. I don't have a lead foot, and cannot fathom how these high mileage figures are achieved.

I live in a rural area where a 16 mile trip to the bank only encounters 2 stop signs (meaning no stop & go and minimum 45 MPH), and I average 22MPG-23MPG. My tires are at 38PSI. I don't have a lead foot, and cannot fathom how these high mileage figures are achieved.

hmm..my driving conditions are very similar to yours and as I posted above, I got 27.9 on my 2nd fill up with 87 octane, GTR AWD.
My tires are out 35. I certainly have been testing the turbos power on every short trip, so its not like I'm driving 40-45 all the time with no quick accelerations.
22-23 in those conditions don't seem right.

Im jealous. Im getting about 18-19 MPG with my 2019 Touring FWD with mainly city/stop-and-go driving. I thought Id be getting better gas mileage with the Touring, but I kinda wish I went with the turbo option now. Might have been better off....

That's normal. Not every engine coming out of factory created equal. Some engines will perform better than others due to manufacture tolerance allowed on parts. A poorer performance engine is less efficient, hence you get poorer gas mileage even though you've tried every way to save gas.

When 2.5T just came out for gen-2 CX-9 in 2016, same complaints on gas mileage happened. For some reason 2.5T does have wide variance on gas mileage in real world experience.

I'll update this, as we've finally taken a trip that isn't always stop and go.

We had been averaging about 20mpg's (barely) for the first 7 months and 4k miles. We took a trip up North, where we were able to keep a pretty constant 50-70 MPH speed. We averaged above 28mpg's for the whole trip. We didn't buy the CX-5 for its fuel economy, but I was pretty impressed with that.

I'll update this, as we've finally taken a trip that isn't always stop and go.

We had been averaging about 20mpg's (barely) for the first 7 months and 4k miles. We took a trip up North, where we were able to keep a pretty constant 50-70 MPH speed. We averaged above 28mpg's for the whole trip. We didn't buy the CX-5 for its fuel economy, but I was pretty impressed with that.

I have a roadtrip coming up soon too so I'm hoping I can see similar mpg as you have. I average 19 mpg with 80% city driving in SoCal and will be driving up to the mountains in NorCal next week.

My best tank yet was Kalamazoo to Walcott, Iowa. Sure one tank, filling at different pumps, isnt the way to gauge fuel economy, but 30.2 MPG was pretty cool.

That's normal. Not every engine coming out of factory created equal. Some engines will perform better than others due to manufacture tolerance allowed on parts. A poorer performance engine is less efficient, hence you get poorer gas mileage even though you've tried every way to save gas.

When 2.5T just came out for gen-2 CX-9 in 2016, same complaints on gas mileage happened. For some reason 2.5T does have wide variance on gas mileage in real world experience.

I've wondered if resetting the computer might help. I really babied it through the break in period. Perhaps it learned some bad habits.

I've wondered if resetting the computer might help. I really babied it through the break in period. Perhaps it learned some bad habits.

It will re-learn your driving profile. When someone else drives my vehicle, it drives differently for a bit, after I get it back.

Back