Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signature mpg

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

My on-board were within +/- 3%. Frequently the on board showed lower mpg, so after 5 or so tank fill I now just use the on-board computer. Ed

Registered Member
    Donated: $25

This is interesting. I wouldn’t mind the MPGs everyone is getting at all if Mazda had put an 18 gallon tank in the cx5 instead of a 15 gallon tank.

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature

I'm only on my 2nd tank ever and I question the quality of the gasoline the dealer put in the first tank, but I did do the math on the first fill up, though not "precisely", and it was in the ball park for with about 240 miles on 13 gallons, so 18.x was close enough. I'll do the math on the next couple tanks, but with variations in where the gas pump kicks off (especially filling up at 100+ degrees the vapors often cause the pump to kick off way early) there is always fudge factor to the calculations.

The power is a bit addictive, but for this second tank I haven't been pushing it as much. I think the main issue is the bajillion degrees it is inside the car after sitting in the sun in 100 degree weather. So the AC and vented seats are running full blast for each 20 minute drive. And every stop-and-go event, the engine is running higher RPMs to drive the AC, plus running its own cooling fan, etc.
    Last edited by CSEngineer; 06-09-2019 at 11:37 AM.

Registered Member

2015 Mazda CX-5 Touring FWD

After 200 fill ups my 2015 CX5 Touring at the pump average is 28.1, the dash average is 28.4. The difference is negligible. Averages are kind of high due to a lot of Interstate travel. I have tried Premium, and alcohol free tankfuls. They are not worth the extra money that they cost. Lowest average was 21.3, highest was 34.2.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by kone View Post
    We are totally loving our Signature! Beautiful and fun car.

I'm wondering what others are seeing for mpg?

We haven't seen >23 mpg yet.
    3000 miles. Right at 23 MPG. My daily commute is a combination of stop/go and 65MPH+ stretches. I think the stop/go is what is keeping the MPG down.

I was able to get ~27MPG with my previous vehicle, a BMW Z4 28I, but that required 91 Octane. With the CX-5 I'm using 87 Octane which is currently about 20% Cheaper than 91 Octane, so I'm coming out roughly equal.
    Last edited by alexm9999; 06-09-2019 at 07:32 PM.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow Signature mpg

Quote Originally Posted by alexm9999 View Post
    3000 miles. Right at 23 MPG. My daily commute is a combination of stop/go and 65MPH+ stretches. I think the stop/go is what is keeping the MPG down.

I was able to get ~27MPG with my previous vehicle, a BMW Z4 28I, but that required 91 Octane. With the CX-5 I'm using 89 Octane which is currently about 20% Cheaper than 91 Octane, so I'm coming out roughly equal.
    Mazda says you can run 87-octane gas perfectly fine on 2.5T or you simply just waste your money.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Mazda says you can run 87-octane gas perfectly fine on 2.5T or you simply just waste your money.
    Actually, it just says below 87 could damage your engine. From the manual:
    "Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) will negatively affect the emission control
    system performance and could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage."
    I guess my definition of "perfectly fine" reaches a little higher than yours. I don't consider better performance a waste of money. Otherwise I'd be driving something else.
    Last edited by St1ngy; 06-09-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Registered Member

My mistake. I meant to say I*m running 87 octane. I did try a tank of 91 but didn*t notice a difference in performance.

Registered Member

After putting 2400 miles on my 2019 my average is showing 25.4. As a test I monitored a trip from Charlotte NC to Clover SC (25 miles) driving as easy as I possibly could in light traffic and was able to average 35 mpg on the trip computer. I couldn*t come close to driving like that everyday but it was interesting to see how you could improve the 25 mpg figure. Also I have been running 89 non ethanol gas.
    Last edited by JT2; 06-09-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by St1ngy View Post
    "............... I guess my definition of "perfectly fine" reaches a little higher than yours. I don't consider better performance a waste of money. Otherwise I'd be driving something else.
    Totally agree....

Arrow Signature mpg

Actually, it just says below 87 could damage your engine. From the manual:
    "Fuel with a rating lower than 87 octane (91 RON) will negatively affect the emission control
    system performance and could also cause engine knocking and serious engine damage."
    I guess my definition of "perfectly fine" reaches a little higher than yours. I don't consider better performance a waste of money. Otherwise I'd be driving something else.
    Look at the power graph I posted above. You don't get "better performance" with higher octane gas unless you rev your engine over 4,000 rpm. And Mazda says this in the published power curve:

ADDITIONAL HIGH-RPM PERFORMANCE IS POSSIBLE WITH HIGHER OCTANE.

* To prevent unnecessary spending on premium fuel, both power ratings are published

Registered Member

I live in SoCal, a lot of stop and go. I*ve been using 91 Costco gas, the dash ranges from 20-23 mpg.

Registered Member

Look at the power graph I posted above. You don't get "better performance" with higher octane gas unless you rev your engine over 4,000 rpm. And Mazda says this in the published power curve:
    So, what's your point? If I wanted economy, I'd get some econo-box.
    With my other car I'd spend $1-2K in mods to add 20-30 more HP. Here, I just need to push a different button on the pump and pay a few bucks more.

Around here, you have a hard time finding 91 octane, so I usually alternate between 87 (or 89) and 93 when topping at 1/2 tank. SO it's probably more diluted than pure 91.
    Last edited by St1ngy; 06-10-2019 at 09:37 AM.

Registered Member

Mazda CX-5 Signature

So, what's your point? If I wanted economy, I'd get some econo-box.
    With my other car I'd spend $1-2K in mods to add 20-30 more HP. Here, I just need to push a different button on the pump and pay a few bucks more.

Around here, you have a hard time finding 91 octane, so I usually alternate between 87 (or 89) and 93 when topping at 1/2 tank. SO it's probably more diluted than pure 91.
    I've run both 87 and 93. I would probably need a stopwatch to tell if there's any difference from 0-60, because I didn't feel it. The main advantage of the turbo is the low end torque, which is the same no matter what octane you use. Since 93 is about 60 cents a gallon more than 87 here, and I'm not tracking the vehicle, it's kind of a no brainer for me. If the price was say, 20 cents apart, it would probably be different.

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing you for running higher octane. If you spend enough time above 4k RPM, it's probably worth it.

Arrow Signature mpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sig cx-5 View Post
    I've run both 87 and 93. I would probably need a stopwatch to tell if there's any difference from 0-60, because I didn't feel it. The main advantage of the turbo is the low end torque, which is the same no matter what octane you use. Since 93 is about 60 cents a gallon more than 87 here, and I'm not tracking the vehicle, it's kind of a no brainer for me. If the price was say, 20 cents apart, it would probably be different.

Just to be clear, I am not criticizing you for running higher octane. If you spend enough time above 4k RPM, it's probably worth it.
    This's exactly the point, which is also Mazda's design goal of its SkyActiv-G 2.5T. When 2.5T just came out and used in gen-2 CX-9 in 2016, Mazda claimed the 2.5T is designed mainly for low-end torque which is suitable to heavy CX-9. Its research indicates most car owners won't rev the engine over 4,000 rpm, hence the relatively smaller turbo charger on 2.5T will run out of the breath over 4,000 rpm.

Since the power and torque are exactly the same under 4,000 rpm between octane 87 and 93 gas, so unless you spend enough time above 4,000 rpm, you don't get better performance.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast