Signature mpg

That's a really good question. I never really thought about it. I do creep along it, although I would have thought that the nearly total lack of traffic and stop signs would have more than made up for it.

I'll have to pay attention to the real-time MPG gauge next time I leave the compound.

Or you could reset trip B at the end of the driveway, and check when you return.

I have a 1940 Packard with original overdrive 3 on the tree transmission that freewheels when the overdrive is engaged. If you want engine braking you have to disengage the overdrive. It works flawlessly. Borg Warner built the overdrives back in the 30*s.

That's cool. Does it run?

That is true of modern cars but old cars -especially manuals are different. Coasting in neutral would save gas.

Not necessarily. A lot of modern cars shut the fuel off altogether when counting which the couldn*t do if the engine was disconnected from the transmission.

5,400 miles and averaging 28-29mpg. I commute 60 miles round trip every day, mostly highway, some interstate congestion here and there. Weekends are mostly around town. I did take a trip to El Paso, TX and back home (Denver), nearly 2,000 miles in total, and averaged 29mpg with very strong cross winds most of the drive home. I also did a 1,000 mile weekend trip in the CO mountains a few weeks ago with the cargo area packed wall to wall and floor to ceiling with camping gear and averaged 27mpg. My lowest mpg tank was 26.7 and my highest was 31.2, calculated properly and not taken from the car's display which is almost always low by 1-2mpg. I am extremely pleased so far. The '04 Mazda3 I had for 15 years never got over 30mpg in the entire time I owned it.

For what it is worth among all the others chiming in here, I average with my 2.5T AWD Signature about 22 mpg for the majority of my everyday driving, but that's significantly local and very short trips (I work from home so this is errand or eating at restaurant-based drives). A recent 4.5 to 5 hour drive to Key West (with a passenger and luggage) each way resulted in an impressive 30.2 mpg average down and 29.8 back, and I averaged 27.6-ish this past weekend on a 2 hour drive to a campground that was a mix of mostly highway driving but also local 30-55 mph winding road parts. This is much better than I ever got with my 2016 CX-5 GT's 2.5L. I'll be doing another 4-5 hour drive in two weekends to Northern FL, and expect a similar mpg as my Key West trip as it will be mostly highway.

For what it is worth among all the others chiming in here, I average with my 2.5T AWD Signature about 22 mpg for the majority of my everyday driving, but that's significantly local and very short trips (I work from home so this is errand or eating at restaurant-based drives). A recent 4.5 to 5 hour drive to Key West (with a passenger and luggage) each way resulted in an impressive 30.2 mpg average down and 29.8 back, and I averaged 27.6-ish this past weekend on a 2 hour drive to a campground that was a mix of mostly highway driving but also local 30-55 mph winding road parts. This is much better than I ever got with my 2016 CX-5 GT's 2.5L. I'll be doing another 4-5 hour drive in two weekends to Northern FL, and expect a similar mpg as my Key West trip as it will be mostly highway.

That is very similar to the mileage I get with my 17 NA under similar conditions. With significantly less fun.

A recent 4.5 to 5 hour drive to Key West (with a passenger and luggage) each way resulted in an impressive 30.2 mpg average down and 29.8 back, and I averaged 27.6-ish this past weekend on a 2 hour drive to a campground that was a mix of mostly highway driving but also local 30-55 mph winding road parts.

Now I'm more jealous of your trips that I am of folks' mileage.

I bet that drive to Key West was nice behind the wheel of your new Signature.

5,400 miles and averaging 28-29mpg. I commute 60 miles round trip every day, mostly highway, some interstate congestion here and there. Weekends are mostly around town. I did take a trip to El Paso, TX and back home (Denver), nearly 2,000 miles in total, and averaged 29mpg with very strong cross winds most of the drive home. I also did a 1,000 mile weekend trip in the CO mountains a few weeks ago with the cargo area packed wall to wall and floor to ceiling with camping gear and averaged 27mpg. My lowest mpg tank was 26.7 and my highest was 31.2, calculated properly and not taken from the car's display which is almost always low by 1-2mpg. I am extremely pleased so far. The '04 Mazda3 I had for 15 years never got over 30mpg in the entire time I owned it.

You should be very please. As several have stated, now myself included, you're getting the exact same mileage I'm getting in a 16.5 with the underpowered BS 2.5NA. They should've done this from the start, but maybe, just maybe, it'll inspire a 300+ hp version as that's what I want, and I'm willing to give up several MPG to get it (would still be impressive)...

Wow good feedback on the 2.5T guys!! So with the turbo recycling some of that wasted energy and producing 300lbsTq while returning decent highway long distance mpgs. I'd assume using the cruise control helps. Those highway cross winds usually mess up mpgs for taller vehicles. I guess the 2.5T torques you right through them.

Now I'm more jealous of your trips that I am of folks' mileage.

I bet that drive to Key West was nice behind the wheel of your new Signature.

Last time I tried to drive to Key West [1987] it was winter, and the traffic was so bad that I gave up and turned around. Has anyone tried it more recently in the winter and was it still really bad?

You all make me laugh! I'm know there are wonderful natural areas to visit in the northwest and VA too! LOL

The trip to Key West can be a crap shoot, but I've averaged 3 trips a year for the past, oh, say 6 years and only had one really negative experience. The challenge is that parts of the latter southern sections are single lane highways with limited passing areas, so if one is unlucky enough to get stuck behind a slow driver or, worse, encounter an accident that shuts down the road, it can be really ugly. I had one normally 4 hour trip pass 6 hours due to such an accident. My trips typically are in June and November, with another sometimes in early months, so I guess that is "winter". :p Time of day and day of the week is also key (ha). Worse traffic is going to be later on a Friday and then on a Sunday afternoon into evening. But, there are some absolutely beautiful areas on the drive which helps balance out any stress.

Oh, and PS, I only used the radar cruise on the campground trip and only on the highway portion.

Last edited:
You all make me laugh! I'm know there are wonderful natural areas to visit in the northwest and VA too! LOL

The trip to Key West can be a crap shoot, but I've averaged 3 trips a year for the past, oh, say 6 years and only had one really negative experience. The challenge is that parts of the latter southern sections are single lane highways with limited passing areas, so if one is unlucky enough to get stuck behind a slow driver or, worse, encounter an accident that shuts down the road, it can be really ugly. I had one normally 4 hour trip pass 6 hours due to such an accident. My trips typically are in June and November, with another sometimes in early months, so I guess that is "winter". :p Time of day and day of the week is also key (ha). Worse traffic is going to be later on a Friday and then on a Sunday afternoon into evening. But, there are some absolutely beautiful areas on the drive which helps balance out any stress.

Oh, and PS, I only used the radar cruise on the campground trip and only on the highway portion.

Thanks. I won't be afraid to try it again. I had gone once earlier, and remember how spectacular it was.

2nd fill up on new Reserve, 87 octane..all miles driven were rural, no city, no highway. Computer stated 27.7 MPG, actual was 27.9. Very satisfied with this. Rated 22-27. I have never gotten over the estimated MPG on any vehicle, especially non highway.
edit..did not drive like a granny at all..

Mixed driving with heavy stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.3 on the trip computer while at the end of the trip it reads 28 mpg.

I also idle the turbo for a minute or two and the mpg drops to 27/26 on the fuel economy screen.

Mixed driving with heavy stop and go traffic. I am averaging 25.3 on the trip computer while at the end of the trip it reads 28 mpg.

I also idle the turbo for a minute or two and the mpg drops to 27/26 on the fuel economy screen.

How does one *idle the turbo*?

Its not so much letting the oil cool down as it is letting the turbocharger cool down so that it doesnt cook the oil inside it when it stops.

Back