Signature mpg

:
19 CX-5 Signature
We are totally loving our Signature! Beautiful and fun car.

I'm wondering what others are seeing for mpg?

We haven't seen >23 mpg yet.

Understanding we have only 1200 miles on the clock, we do a lot of short trips, stop and go, and it's been pretty cold here and with winter gas just seems like it should be better than 22 max. We've been springing for the 93 octane but honestly aren't enjoy the turbo through my right foot much, will go to lower test soon.

What say y'all?

24.5 is my over-all mpg since ownership 25XX mi ago including every single drive.

Typically though, I average 25-27mpg per tank if I don't flog on it.

We just hit 18 for the first time on the last tank. No worse than our old CR-V, so we're happy. We've only had a couple trips over 10 miles and just hit 1k miles at the 3 month mark.

I am just at the end of my second tank of gas (about 575 miles).

The first tank was a little over 23 MPG.
This second tank is nearly 25 MPG (not Total So Far, but just that tank of gas).

I'm retired, so no daily commuting. My shortest trip is 10 miles except for hops between stores sometimes. I live in a very rural area with lots of curves and rolling hills. I'm not stop & go, but I am perpetual accelerate/decelerate. Very little driving under 45MPH.

That first tank of gas had about 10 highway (70MPH) miles on it.
The second tank of gas had maybe 90 highway miles on it (a 45 mile round trip).

I just commented on this elsewhere. With those short trips and cold weather, you may want to get it out on the highway weekly and let it go for a while at normal operating temps.

Glad it is not just me, but I'll see if this improves. First tank was 18.8 MPG, second tank I was up to 22.9 from some highway driving, but it is back down to 20.2 after idling with the AC through a couple drive-throughs. Sigh. Still less than 500 miles on the odometer, and it is a little too easy to use the accelerator on this thing.

Wow. I am getting almost 24 MPG in a CX-9! I assume the power is a little too addictive?

How accurate are the onboard mpg figures compared to checking mileage when filling tank and doing the math?

My on-board were within +/- 3%. Frequently the on board showed lower mpg, so after 5 or so tank fill I now just use the on-board computer. Ed

This is interesting. I wouldnt mind the MPGs everyone is getting at all if Mazda had put an 18 gallon tank in the cx5 instead of a 15 gallon tank.

I'm only on my 2nd tank ever and I question the quality of the gasoline the dealer put in the first tank, but I did do the math on the first fill up, though not "precisely", and it was in the ball park for with about 240 miles on 13 gallons, so 18.x was close enough. I'll do the math on the next couple tanks, but with variations in where the gas pump kicks off (especially filling up at 100+ degrees the vapors often cause the pump to kick off way early) there is always fudge factor to the calculations.

The power is a bit addictive, but for this second tank I haven't been pushing it as much. I think the main issue is the bajillion degrees it is inside the car after sitting in the sun in 100 degree weather. So the AC and vented seats are running full blast for each 20 minute drive. And every stop-and-go event, the engine is running higher RPMs to drive the AC, plus running its own cooling fan, etc.

Last edited:
After 200 fill ups my 2015 CX5 Touring at the pump average is 28.1, the dash average is 28.4. The difference is negligible. Averages are kind of high due to a lot of Interstate travel. I have tried Premium, and alcohol free tankfuls. They are not worth the extra money that they cost. Lowest average was 21.3, highest was 34.2.

We are totally loving our Signature! Beautiful and fun car.

I'm wondering what others are seeing for mpg?

We haven't seen >23 mpg yet.

3000 miles. Right at 23 MPG. My daily commute is a combination of stop/go and 65MPH+ stretches. I think the stop/go is what is keeping the MPG down.

I was able to get ~27MPG with my previous vehicle, a BMW Z4 28I, but that required 91 Octane. With the CX-5 I'm using 87 Octane which is currently about 20% Cheaper than 91 Octane, so I'm coming out roughly equal.

Last edited:
Back