Mazda continues to be slow with model year changeovers - current Mazda 6 still a 2018

JPL

:
2018 Mazda6, CX-9
I find it weird how Mazda operates in this way. The 2018 Mazda 6 had a big makeover, which made it easy for me to choose it. Fantastic car. But it is now the end of March 2019 and they haven't changed the model year designation when we know there won't be any new changes except maybe the most minor tweaks. So what's the wait Mazda? 2019 Mazda 6 should have been out 6 months ago.

They do this many times. Remember when the all new 2016 CX-9 came out around April of 2016. That should have been designated a 2017. Look at Kia. The 2020 Telluride came out weeks ago in March 2019. I remember the 2016 Sorento came out in January 2015 (16 months before 2016 CX-9).

Mazda should be aware that advancing model years actually boosts sales. People like to feel like they have the latest early.

How many 2018 Mazda 6's does Mazda expect to move in 2019? People are like, hey that's last years model, I'm not paying new car price!

I find it weird how Mazda operates in this way. The 2018 Mazda 6 had a big makeover, which made it easy for me to choose it. Fantastic car. But it is now the end of March 2019 and they haven't changed the model year designation when we know there won't be any new changes except maybe the most minor tweaks. So what's the wait Mazda? 2019 Mazda 6 should have been out 6 months ago.

They do this many times. Remember when the all new 2016 CX-9 came out around April of 2016. That should have been designated a 2017. Look at Kia. The 2020 Telluride came out weeks ago in March 2019. I remember the 2016 Sorento came out in January 2015 (16 months before 2016 CX-9).

Mazda should be aware that advancing model years actually boosts sales. People like to feel like they have the latest early.

How many 2018 Mazda 6's does Mazda expect to move in 2019? People are like, hey that's last years model, I'm not paying new car price!

I don't see a 2019 coming... (nailbyt)

2019 Mazda6 is to be announced in April.
Similar changes as you can see between '18 CX5 to '19 CX5.
Power-folding mirrors, 360 view, AndroidAuto-CarPlay, more sound insulation, etc.
FMC will be in 2020 (as 2021). Might become RWD.

2019 Mazda6 is to be announced in April.
Similar changes as you can see between '18 CX5 to '19 CX5.
Power-folding mirrors, 360 view, AndroidAuto-CarPlay, more sound insulation, etc.
FMC will be in 2020 (as 2021). Might become RWD.

2018 already comes with Apple Carplay/Android Auto pre-installed (they didn't earlier in the year). Already has 360 view camera. 2018 was extensively redone as far as you can go without a total redesign including all new interior. All the new sound insulation was done, won't be any more for 2019.

We can easily assume the new 2021 will have AWD based on the new Mazda 3 having available AWD.

The 2018 6 is still a class leading car. I can only imagine how great the next gen will be.

In Mazda fashion, even the new Mazda 3 is being designated a 2019 even though it is just being rolled out. The 2020 Corolla is already out before the 2019 Mazda 3.

In Mazda fashion, even the new Mazda 3 is being designated a 2019 even though it is just being rolled out. The 2020 Corolla is already out before the 2019 Mazda 3.

I have '16 Mazda6. I am no longer updated with changes year by year.
I am watching whether '19 will have power-folding and improved MID resolution (many have complained about this).

Class leading? This is subjective. I love my Mazda6, but it is not selling very well.
Many go for CX5 instead. I have a '17 CX5. It is one-class above '16 Mazda6 in tranquility.
I hope '19 Mazda6 can be better in that department. I might consider upgrading my '16.
More power and less noises.

I have suggested my co-workers who were shopping for small SUVs to put CX5 on their shopping list. Both ended up buying it. That is the situation Mazda is in now. Bad reputation from the past. People who actually sit in ones are surprised and impressed.

Last edited:
I have '16 Mazda6. I am no longer updated with changes year by year.
I am watching whether '19 will have power-folding and improved MID resolution (many have complained about this).

Class leading? This is subjective. I love my Mazda6, but it is not selling very well.
Many go for CX5 instead. I have a '17 CX5. It is one-class above '16 Mazda6 in tranquility.
I hope '19 Mazda6 can be better in that department. I might consider upgrading my '16.
More power and less noises.

I have suggested my co-workers who were shopping for small SUVs to put CX5 on their shopping list. Both ended up buying it. That is the situation Mazda is in now. Bad reputation from the past. People who actually sit in ones are surprised and impressed.

The 2018 Mazda 6 is a whole different animal to the 2016. All new interior, much more sound insulated, turbo engine, and way more features. The Mazda 6 is now more refined than the CX-5.

I'm referencing one of best in class to all the publications that say so with only the Accord generally rating a little better. But most also agrees the Accord doesn't look that good.

Mazda finally announced the 2019 Mazda 6. Will go on sale later this month. Main changes are active safety features now standard in lower trims.

Kia's like, "2019 is so last year".

Back