2016 CX-5 brake pedal spacing

Anyone else find there is not enough room between the brake pedal and the center console when on the fuel pedal? I find myself hitting both pedals at times.
Thanks
Jim

Anyone else find there is not enough room between the brake pedal and the center console when on the fuel pedal? I find myself hitting both pedals at times.
Thanks
Jim

I do. I've also touched the gas pedal when braking and I wear a size 9. It usually occurs if your foot doesn't hit the center of the brake pedal. If your foot slides a little to the right there's the chance of also hitting the gas pedal.

I have hit both which can be kind of a ticklish situation, but then I wear size 15's. The preceding is why I now use my left foot for braking. Faster response time anyways. In tight circumstances I can hover right over the brake pedal. Started this with my 2013 CX5, and have had no problems. I do not touch the brake pedal when just driving. With the advent of automatic transmissions, the left foot is no longer occupied with the clutch. Until recently I had a manual trans Jetta, and never had a problem going between the two cars.

My biggest problem with it is I am afraid, I might at some time, get my foot under the brake pedal and not be able to brake as quickly as I should be able to. I was hoping someone would tell me Mazda had some kind of work around, like a smaller brake pedal, or something of the like. I thought about heating it and bending it over some but worried it would change the metallurgy.
Jim

I don't have that problem but I find that when I move my foot from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, I always hit the console. It just makes a noise, no harm done!

2023 CX-5. I found the pedal positions to be 'not to my liking' so as I have done to previous cars I modified the brake pedal position. I purchased a second brake pedal via ebay. Then removed the OEM pedal. Pull the clip and rod to the brake booster, remove the pivot nut and bolt and it pulls out easily. I cut both pedals appropriately, layed them side by side and drilled holes. I made two holes in the lower part to allow and easy adjustment that would lower the pedal foot pad 1/2" closer to the floor. I bolted all this together and reinstalled into the car. The brake foot pad is now 3/4-7/8" more to the left and the original distance from the floor. I drove it around the block and was immediately very pleased. I have moved the lower bolt to the other position which lowered the foot pad 1/2" closer to the floor. I have not driven it yet with this configuration but just sitting in the garage I feel I'm really going to like it lower. I'll drive it a couple of days to confirm, then pull it out and weld it properly. Pics should help. If you take your pedal out for any reason I very much recommend a finger ratchet for the pivot nut, once broken loose it does not spin off easily and a "good" LED headband light.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 54
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
I have lost some feeling in my feet due to two back surgeries and a couple of times missed the brake pedal, once causing me to bump the car in front in a fast food line and always giving me a lack of control panic. I purchased a wider pedal bolt on and made the pedal wider so I do not miss the pedal and end up pressing the floor and hitting someone. Occasionally I do now hit the brake when aiming for the accelerator but that does not give me the same risk of an accident compared to missing the brake. I remember when automatic transmissions first came out the brake pedals were much wider from the factory.

Assuming that you have an automatic, have you tried left foot braking? I wear a size 15 shoe, and had trouble moving to brake from throttle, and tried left foot braking. It was pretty easy to pick up. When in traffic just keep your left foot poised above the brake pedal. For a number of years we had a stick shift car, and I had no problem switching back & forth between the cars, insofar as driving them.

Back