Cargo cover

:
2018 CX-5 GT PP
I bought an aftermarket cargo cover and may have made a $140 mistake (https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) too late to return. I cannot get the metal bar into the second, lower hook as directed. It's easy to get it into the upper hook but not beyond. Per the instructions, using the upper hook makes it harder and noisier. Afraid if I get it in the lower hook, I won't be able to easily remove it. Is there a trick to this? If I have to eBay it, does the factor cover install and uninstall easily?

Yes, the factory cover goes in and out with ease. I don't quite understand your dilemma, though.

I almost bought the same one from amazon. I ended up spending a bit more for the OEM one instead. Goes on and off super easy, takes 10-15 seconds at most.

The factory cover has the same connection to the lift gate. I don't understand what the problem is, unless the aftermarket one just doesn't fit right. I have no problem removing the factory cover when i want too.

The upper hook, as you call it, is the correct position. See picture 3 and 4 on the amazon page for verification of the correct position. This is the same way the OEM cover attaches.

Assuming the aftermarket cover fits properly, the installation and removal should be very easy.

Hold the cover by the finger grips and press the metal bar on the cover against the flexible tab on the hatch (you can do one side at a time). Then simply slide the bar towards the top of the hatch to position A on the amazon diagram. Release the pressure and the tab will secure the bar in position A.

To remove the cover, press the bar against the flexible tab and slide the metal bar towards the bottom of the hatch, out from under the tab.

It should only take a few seconds to latch or unlatch the cover. What the amazon instructions are warning is to not slide the metal bar past position A, around the flexible tab and into position B. If you do that, there is nothing to secure the metal bar in place, and may move around and rattle. It will also be a lot more difficult to remove.

Back