Mazda cx5 rough idle at stop sign/light

:
2019 CX-5 GTR
Been noticing a rough idle recently.

When the break pedal is pushed down and held there at a stop sign or red light I notice the car that every five seconds or so it feels like the car is going to shut off.

I've drove boxer engines before and those had a constant rumble throughout the idle period.

But with the cx5 its silent and still at a red light. And then every 5-10 seconds the car will rumble very noticeably like it was going to shut off.

Hard rumble like it's going to stall out, then still silence. Rinse, repeat every 5-10 seconds.

I dont notice any vibrations while the car is in motion.

Someone mentioned transmission mount issues in another thread.

Any ideas?

When the break pedal is pushed down and held there at a stop sign or red light I notice the car that every five seconds or so it feels like the car is going to shut off.

I've drove boxer engines before and those had a constant rumble throughout the idle period.

But with the cx5 its silent and still at a red light. And then every 5-10 seconds the car will rumble very noticeably like it was going to shut off.

Hard rumble like it's going to stall out, then still silence. Rinse, repeat every 5-10 seconds.

Any ideas?

I had this happen last year on my 2017. Idled slow, every few seconds almost felt like it would stall. Went on like that for a few weeks before the yellow CEL eventually came on, but it otherwise seemed to be running fine. Ended up being a coil that had to be replaced. Definitely take it to the dealer.

Any ideas?

Make sure to get a video of the issue and the tach before you bring it into the dealer, so you can show them in case they can't "replicate" the problem.

I had this happen last year on my 2017. Idled slow, every few seconds almost felt like it would stall. Went on like that for a few weeks before the yellow CEL eventually came on, but it otherwise seemed to be running fine. Ended up being a coil that had to be replaced. Definitely take it to the dealer.

Thanks for the input and will keep that in mind.

My vehicle has barely 400 miles on it and the coils already going out?

Not exactly too thrilled.

Thanks for the input and will keep that in mind.

My vehicle has barely 400 miles on it and the coils already going out?

Not exactly too thrilled.

Mine only had a few thousand miles on it -- sometimes they just get a bad coil. Curiously, I had a coil go in the car before this one, too. Haven't had a lick of trouble with anything else since.

Sound like an easy problem to replicate. Go with the tech or service mgr so they can see the problem firsthand.
Probably faulty coil or plug.
These things happen every once in awhile.

mine always does that.. notice it more because I have a poly engine and rear motor mount.. I've always figured it was some kind of emissions related (PCV/oil separator maybe) function. I've never live data'd it but it could even be some kinda leaning to increase temperature on the valve or something

Same here. I have this since day 1.
cx5 gt 2018.
I monitored the rpms and they fluctuate
at idle when it happens thats why we get the rough idling probably. Temp does not move. AC does not matter too.
Usually when waiting at traffic lights.
So far I just stopped paying attention although its annoying.

Cylinder deactivation activating at idle [improperly of course]?

I thought cylinder deactivation at first, because it behaves like this but then I read it deactivates only when car is in motion in certain conditions.
It is not the AC because it makes it with or without ac.
Most people would not notice it anyway and its not that bad, just annoying.

I come from v6 car which was flat spot at idle. The annoying part is the small shake/vibration in the mazda but you learn to live with it eventually. CX5 is still away from luxury brand because of the small annoyances like this, missing features, other rattles and being cheap on certain aspects, etc but it is a fun little car.

I thought cylinder deactivation at first, because it behaves like this but then I read it deactivates only when car is in motion in certain conditions.
It is not the AC because it makes it with or without ac.
Most people would not notice it anyway and its not that bad, just annoying.

I come from v6 car which was flat spot at idle. The annoying part is the small shake/vibration in the mazda but you learn to live with it eventually. CX5 is still away from luxury brand because of the small annoyances like this, missing features, other rattles and being cheap on certain aspects, etc but it is a fun little car.

I would have it checked out. My 16 when at idle is perfectly flat, the rpms do not move, even with the A/C. Not the case with my wifes CR-V. In the summer you can sit there and watch the tach move up and down when the car is sitting still. Does it in the winter when the A/C is off too but not as much.

Back