19 gt-r drl?

From what I can tell, my19 GT-R doesnt have dedicated daytime running lights.

When testing by turning the lights from off auto and on when parked in front of my garage door on a cloudy day, it appears to be the same beam pattern as the low beams, just dimmer.

Its impossible to get out of the car and check because they turn off as soon as its in park or the ebrake is set.

Not sure how I feel about this. I know LEDs should last a while, but Im not thrilled that the headlights are essentially on all the time.

Last edited:
OPs concern is legit. Id turn them off if my DRLs were using headlights, especially using the low-beams like the gen-2 CX-5. Those LED headlights are just too expensive to replace.

LEDs should outlast the car ONLY IF the circuitry is properly designed and high-quality components are used. The early failing of EVERY factory LED DRL on 2016 CX-5 is a perfect example. At least it has dedicated accent LED DRLs not using the low-beams. Even if they fail, you still can survive without replacing them as the headlights are still working.

Yeah why Mazda NAO chose to use LED headlights as part of DRLs on gen-2 CX-5 in the US is a mystery to me as Mazda has been using dedicated LED accent strips DRLs without using headlights on gen-2 CX-5 in many other countries.

Also I wish Mazda can put DRLs ON/OFF selection into the lighting setup manual in Mazda Connect infotainment system like Toyota Yaris iA. I was surprised to see that selection available in lighting setup manual on my newly purchased 2018 Yaris iA, which is a rebadged Mazda2.

Oh FFS Chicken Little, give it a GD rest already. You are grating.
So because Mazda has some failures, certainly not EVERY 16 (how you can make that claim is truly mind blowing), now they can't be trusted with any LED lights? You are out of your tree, dude.

OP your LED will easily outlast your car. Easily.
Ordinary incandescent headlights usually need replacement more often compared to the LED bulbs. This is because non-LED bulbs normally have a lifespan of 400 to 600 hours. However, LED bulbs have a general lifespan of 50,000 hours, which means that using the lights for averagely 10 hours daily gives them a life expectancy of 13.7 years.

http://www.acmwriting.com/the-durability-of-automotive-led-bulbs/

50,000 hours. 50,000.... If Mazda's are HALF of that, you're still good for ... the lifetime of your car.

This page https://www.lifewire.com/how-long-should-headlights-last-4117128 claims 30,000 hours.

You really think Mazda learned nothing from SOME 16 DRL's that had a higher then average failure rate? (But still not every).

(iagree) 7.

The early failing of EVERY factory LED DRL on 2016 CX-5 is a perfect example.

Just to recap my situation. 2016 CX-5 GT with a build date 05/15 and a purchase date 06/30/15. Now at 37,000+ miles and almost 45 months of service (so out of warranty on both counts) my DRL's have not failed yet. So my questions to you yrwei52 are what do you define as "early" and when will my DRL's fail so that your statement that all fail will be true (it's not at this point).

OP take a look at this thread :D

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123859785-2017-CX-5-drl-question&highlight=2017+drl

I disabled my DRL as it's not required here. I only enable it whenever it's gloomy out and don't need to turn on every light on the car. I'm not worried about the LED's failing like yrwei52, I just don't like DRL in general. The process to disable is quite tricky and takes a few tries to get it but I've done it so many times now it only takes me 30 seconds or so.

If you want to disable the DRL do this:

I start with my lights switch in the off position.
Engaged emergency parking brakes.
Push ignition button twice.
Step on the brake and keep foot on brake the whole time.
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times really quick (have to scroll pass auto if you have auto lights).
Then hit the hazards 10 times really quickly (basically on and off 5 times)
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times again.
Disengage emergency parking brakes.
Release foot from brake pedal.
Push ignition button once to turn off.

Your DRL should be disabled now. Repeat steps to enable them :)

Just to recap my situation. 2016 CX-5 GT with a build date 05/15 and a purchase date 06/30/15. Now at 37,000+ miles and almost 45 months of service (so out of warranty on both counts) my DRL's have not failed yet. So my questions to you yrwei52 are what do you define as "early" and when will my DRL's fail so that your statement that all fail will be true (it's not at this point).
I'd been asking if anyone owning a 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package that his/her factory LED DRLs are still working in the following long thread with 331 posts, and you're the ONLY ONE responded that your LED DRLs are still fine. The build date or the purchase date is not the key, but the version of your LED headlight is. Check the part label on the LED headlight assembly which is easily to see on the back of the unit once you open the hood, and tell us what is the version indicated by the last character of the part number, and the manufacture date is on the label too.

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

2 of my friends and family bought 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech Package based on my recommendation are all experienced LED DRL failure. The same on my 2016 CX-5 GT.

And I've seen countless 2016 CX-5's on the road with one-eyed LED DRLs.

As on the definition of "early" failure, or how long those LED DRLs are supposed to last:

OP your LED will easily outlast your car. Easily.
Ordinary incandescent headlights usually need replacement more often compared to the LED bulbs. This is because non-LED bulbs normally have a lifespan of 400 to 600 hours. However, LED bulbs have a general lifespan of 50,000 hours, which means that using the lights for averagely 10 hours daily gives them a life expectancy of 13.7 years.

http://www.acmwriting.com/the-durability-of-automotive-led-bulbs/

50,000 hours. 50,000.... If Mazda's are HALF of that, you're still good for ... the lifetime of your car.

This page https://www.lifewire.com/how-long-should-headlights-last-4117128 claims 30,000 hours.

I don't know how many cars i see with no headlights on in rain, dusk, or other visibility limited conditions. DRL are worth it... yeah it may not be your fault if someone doesn't see you, but when you get hit, would it be worth the cost of DRL to not get hit?

I am by no means a safety nut, but the people railing against DRL either don't drive much, or don't care much about safety. It is silly for a driver to decide what makes them more visible or not - some accidents happen because car colors blend in with the surroundings - DRL solves this and prevents drivers from forgetting as they often do. Just like we don't "need" Blind spot detection, or backup cameras but they help with safety.

I don't understand "not liking them" as the driver can't see them, and they don't affect driving. That is like saying, i don't like brake lights so i turned them off sometimes.

I turn on my headlights when it rains or when it's gloomy I'll enable the DRL as I don't need the rear lights on. Other than that, I don't need them on on a sunny day. If you can't see me coming on a sunny day, I don't know if you should be driving or not :(

I turn on my headlights when it rains or when it's gloomy I'll enable the DRL as I don't need the rear lights on. Other than that, I don't need them on on a sunny day. If you can't see me coming on a sunny day, I don't know if you should be driving or not :(

Plenty of people should not be driving, but until the driving tests get better, I would rather have anything i can to prevent them from hitting me.

I can make the same argument for brake lights on a sunny day - if everyone paid attention they would not be necessary.

You cannot make that argument. I don't care how careful we are, brake lights certainly would still be a must.

I'd been asking if anyone owning a 2016 CX-5 with Tech Package that his/her factory LED DRLs are still working in the following long thread with 331 posts, and you're the ONLY ONE responded that your LED DRLs are still fine. The build date or the purchase date is not the key, but the version of your LED headlight is. Check the part label on the LED headlight assembly which is easily to see on the back of the unit once you open the hood, and tell us what is the version indicated by the last character of the part number, and the manufacture date is on the label too.

Daytime running lights dim/flickering

2 of my friends and family bought 2016 CX-5 GT with Tech Package based on my recommendation are all experienced LED DRL failure. The same on my 2016 CX-5 GT.

And I've seen countless 2016 CX-5's on the road with one-eyed LED DRLs.

Recheck your quoted thread yrwei. On page 19, post #272, korean_mazda responded that his/her DRL's are fine. So I am not the ONLY ONE. (Just because you put something in all caps or repeat multiple times does not not make it true.)

I have Rev. C headlight assemblies, with a manufacture date of 2015 05 20 for one and 2015 05 19 for the other.

My sisters 2016 CX-5 GT is now 3 years old and no DRL failure for her either.

You cannot make that argument. I don't care how careful we are, brake lights certainly would still be a must.

That is my point. Brake lights are really only a necessity at night, but I would never turn them off during the day.

None of us run into stationary objects if we are maintaining proper distance and paying attention (in the day light). Brake lights, just like DRL are a safety feature. We survived without center brake light, but it was proven to increase safety. And there were people that originally removed them because they didn't like the look, but they did increase safety.

I think disabling DRL is like disabling brake lights. Technically all will function fine, but safety issues exist because people don't pay attention the way they should. I wouldn't turn off Brake lights in the day, and for the same reason, i would not turn off DRL.

That is my point. Brake lights are really only a necessity at night, but I would never turn them off during the day.

None of us run into stationary objects if we are maintaining proper distance and paying attention (in the day light). Brake lights, just like DRL are a safety feature. We survived without center brake light, but it was proven to increase safety. And there were people that originally removed them because they didn't like the look, but they did increase safety.

I think disabling DRL is like disabling brake lights. Technically all will function fine, but safety issues exist because people don't pay attention the way they should. I wouldn't turn off Brake lights in the day, and for the same reason, i would not turn off DRL.

I'm glad DRLs are mandatory in Canada, lol. Saves me from arguing whether they're necessary or not. Because they're mandatory, my CX-9's LED eyebrows (which double as the DRLs) are always on. No issues so far.

One thing I will say is that I do not like the fact that the CX-9's headlights are LED, and that if they go out, you have to replace the entire headlight assy. It's not a cheap part, but so far none have been reported to fail early. If (and this is a big IF) it ever happened to me, I'd just buy an HID retrofit kit and DIY.

OP, I wouldn't worry about burnt out LEDs until they become a problem. Just enjoy it :)

I'm glad DRLs are mandatory in Canada, lol. Saves me from arguing whether they're necessary or not. Because they're mandatory, my CX-9's LED eyebrows (which double as the DRLs) are always on. No issues so far. (snip)

I was going to comment that even in the days before DRLs, my headlights were always on when I was driving, regardless of the time of day or the weather.

I did this because back in the 80s, I read (University of Berkley Wellness Letter, if I recall correctly) of a study done in Canada that claimed DRLs (or at the time, headlights ON all the time) reduced accidents by 5%. It also said that there are certain colors that make cars less at risk to being hit because they are so easy to see.

So for the past 35 years or so, I have always driven with my headlights on--day and night--so I can easily be seen, as my best alternative to driving a yellow car. All thanks to that Canadian study.

Recheck your quoted thread yrwei. On page 19, post #272, korean_mazda responded that his/her DRL's are fine. So I am not the ONLY ONE. (Just because you put something in all caps or repeat multiple times does not not make it true.)

I have Rev. C headlight assemblies, with a manufacture date of 2015 05 20 for one and 2015 05 19 for the other.

My sisters 2016 CX-5 GT is now 3 years old and no DRL failure for her either.

Add me to your list. 2016 GT here. Nearly 4 years old 37,000 miles ZERO failures of any kind

I was going to comment that even in the days before DRLs, my headlights were always on when I was driving, regardless of the time of day or the weather.

I did this because back in the 80s, I read (University of Berkley Wellness Letter, if I recall correctly) of a study done in Canada that claimed DRLs (or at the time, headlights ON all the time) reduced accidents by 5%. It also said that there are certain colors that make cars less at risk to being hit because they are so easy to see.

So for the past 35 years or so, I have always driven with my headlights on--day and night--so I can easily be seen, as my best alternative to driving a yellow car. All thanks to that Canadian study.

From personal experience, I can tell you that the Greyhound Bus Company was using their headlights as DRLs in 1955 for safety purposes. I, too, am a firm supporter of DRLs and every other safety device available.

Human life and health is priceless.

Oops, sorry to get off topic. I love my LED headlights and have them on my MX-5 as well. I also have converted the rest of my lights in both cars to LEDs. That means that absolutely every light in both cars are LEDs. Why, because they are brighter.

Does anyone have any pics of the headlights/DRLs before and after disabling them? I've tried the process a few times and I can't tell if I got it right. I did it in front of a glass panel and it appears that the halo light and led strips are lit up when I have it set in parking mode while driving. Does that mean I succeeded in disabling the main headlight portion of the DRLs? I've read dozens of threads about this but I haven't come across any pictures people took before and after disabling the DRLs.

Back