In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pesky oil loss

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Ima have to try this, thanks man
    Sunburst 02 pro5 200k+ miles
    Mystery 4-1 header, mystery short ram, moog control arms, moog front endlinks, moog tie rods, moog trailing links, tein lowering springs, gutted interior
    All about them stickers, crumpled panels, and mismatched paint yo

Registered Member

My oil pan has been leaking for about a month now and Iím not sure if Iím trashing the car yet or repairing. For some reason, despite the pan draining, the dipstick still shows oil level just above the low level on the stick...so thereís enough oil to keep the engine running. Does the dipstick get its level from another area other than the oil pan? I just assumed the dipstick got its level of oil from the pan, but maybe thereís another reservoir.

Can I just top up the engine and keep an eye on it for the next 2 weeks while I think about what to do, or am I in danger of starving the engine?

Registered Member

protege5

Quote Originally Posted by mark2000 View Post
    My oil pan has been leaking for about a month now and I*m not sure if I*m trashing the car yet or repairing. For some reason, despite the pan draining, the dipstick still shows oil level just above the low level on the stick...so there*s enough oil to keep the engine running. Does the dipstick get its level from another area other than the oil pan? I just assumed the dipstick got its level of oil from the pan, but maybe there*s another reservoir.

Can I just top up the engine and keep an eye on it for the next 2 weeks while I think about what to do, or am I in danger of starving the engine?
    As long as you keep oil in the motor, it will be fine. Just check it frequently, depending on how fast you're losing it.

When motors run OUT of oil is when bad things happen. It doesn't matter if they're burning or leaking, as long as they have oil no real damage will occur.

Just to note though, if it is burning/smoking, the longer you let it go the more likely you are to foul exhaust valves, cats, etc out to where they're no longer repairable. Not all of the oil gets burned, much goes into the exhuast where it just sorta accumulates.

Registered Member

lolmsp

Quote Originally Posted by mark2000 View Post
    My oil pan has been leaking for about a month now and I*m not sure if I*m trashing the car yet or repairing. For some reason, despite the pan draining, the dipstick still shows oil level just above the low level on the stick...so there*s enough oil to keep the engine running. Does the dipstick get its level from another area other than the oil pan? I just assumed the dipstick got its level of oil from the pan, but maybe there*s another reservoir.
    oil dipstick goes directly into the oil pan for measurements. you will see it when you take the oil pan off.
    03 MSP

2002 Protegť5 manual

In other news, as for my own oil burn issue, seems like the Fuel injectors were the culprit. Engine flush DID make the car stop smoking at startup, but the burn persisted a long time after. Turns out my injectors were sticking open, and the excess fuel would thin out the oil, making it easy for oil to get by the rings.
    Last edited by Anzi; 08-25-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Registered Member

lolmsp

that's interesting. glad to see you're making progress
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12