Pedal Commander...Best Mod I have done

Mine cruises at 2k doing 60 in sport mode.
If that is the case, then Mazda fixed it for the 2019 models. On our 2016, I couldn't get it to cruise at a higher gear. Only once did I manage to do it, but I cannot remember how. Most of the time, even on the highway with sport mode on, the engine would be cruising at 4K RPM. Which is why if I want to drive with Sport Mode on the whole time, I drive in manual mode. But that's great news if they already fixed it for the 2019 models.

Doesn't this void the warranty? Which I'm not trying to do. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
I'm sure it will void the warranty if you mess up something related to the accelerator pedal or some electronics around it. But it is very unlikely to be an issue as compared to a real tune where the ECU has been updated with a new tune.

I think the bigger issue here is if you rear end someone and insurance finds out you have that thing installed. Not sure what their reaction will be, but probably not good. How can they be sure that thing did not cause your car to unintentionally accelerate more than expected?

Last edited:
I'm sure it will void the warranty if you mess up something related to the accelerator pedal or some electronics around it. But it is very unlikely to be an issue as compared to a real tune where the ECU has been updated with a new tune.

I think the bigger issue here is if you rear end someone and insurance finds out you have that thing installed. Not sure what their reaction will be, but probably not good. How can they be sure that thing did not cause your car to unintentionally accelerate more than expected?

Interesting points finch204, I will take them into account. Also, I believe the smart city braking feature would kick in, theoretically speaking.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
Yeah this isn't a tune meaning you won't attain tuning rewards nor risk.

Its more of tricking you gas pedal that you pressing it at 40/50/60/70/80/90% ect but in reality only pressing it like at 9%. If anything it would probably compliment sport mode along with regular mode. If I were to have this device I'd merely want to find a setting that mimics old school Throttle-by-Wire. "How much you press is what you get" type of feel.

I would disagree that $300 is a bit expensive. I rather pay some thing like $199 maybe.

Pedal Commander Mar 25 2019.jpg

After much research, I received the PC and got it installed and mounted, took about 15min...Only had a few minutes to play with it, but experienced no issues with installation or Bluetooth configuration/operation. Thus far I like it, now I have to find the settings that work best, only tried City +1 and +2. Any thoughts or comments are welcomed...Thanks jjhebigscreen (OP) for the mod.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
I set mine to sport 4 but i have na cx5 so could be much different for your cx9 turbo. At any rate Im sure you will more than enjoy!

Would you say it minimizes or dare I say...eliminates pedal dead spots compared to stock?

Would you say it minimizes or dare I say...eliminates pedal dead spots compared to stock?

The engine responds quicker and feels stronger every where in the rev range I press the pedal. I have had to adjust to the increased sensitivity even though you can control that with the different settings. I like it to respond quick and have set it that way. Basically it has made the cx5 feel more alive and powerful. Its just more fun to drive. I would say yes it minimizes pedal dead spots compared to stock. Azeke have you tried it in sport yet?

Last edited:
The engine responds quicker and feels stronger every where in the rev range I press the pedal. I have had to adjust to the increased sensitivity even though you can control that with the different settings. I like it to respond quick and have set it that way. Basically it has made the cx5 feel more alive and powerful. Its just more fun to drive. I would say yes it minimizes pedal dead spots compared to stock. Azeke have you tried it in sport yet?

No not yet jjhebigscreen still like the City +2 mode. That*s my next mode to try. I*m actually getting ready to tow a U Haul trailer for my daughter*s college move. I*ll need to figure a mode for that. Recommendations?

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

CX-5 OEM soft cargo area cover is excellent, including coverage of the rear seat backs as well as the exterior rear body area.

Ok thanks for the update:

I notice that part number PC41 for the CX-5 2013 and newer ...is the same for my 2016 Mazda6. Yup if I were to get this I'd try it on both cars :).

I had a "SPRINTBOOSTER" on my RAV4 2010 V6. The car was more responsive. After trading that car for my Mazda CX5 2017 GT I was missing the my "SPRINTBOOSTER" set-up. The CX5 was fun but a little lack fun at 80mph. Started using the MANUAL mode and it is way more fun the SPORTS mode. Better braking and better handling in the twisties. Very responsive, and makes me no longer miss my "SPRINTBOOSTER". Should I get a new car in the future I would never get one without the manual mode option.

Off topic here, sorry but I have noticed that SixPackABS is from RDFORUM. Which radar detector do you have? I have documented there my setup, a while back.

Off topic here, sorry but I have noticed that SixPackABS is from RDFORUM. Which radar detector do you have? I have documented there my setup, a while back.

Or you could also send him a private message :)

----

I'm now starting to get interested in this mod. One of my main complaints with our 2016 CX-5 is the slow throttle response. It makes the car feel heavier than it really is. I might try this one if more people give it a try.

Does anyone know for sure if sport mode on the CX-5 does anything at all to pedal response, or does it just only raise the shift points?

I really love my 2019 CX-5 and this is coming from someone that typically has owned sports sedans with higher HP to weight ratio and tracked my Volvo S60R chipped to 355 HP. I work from home, don't drive a alot, have a 1-car garage now, and have had my fair share of speeding tickets so I've gotten conservative in my "old age" (51) and just wanted something that had a quiet interior, nice interior finish, good suspension, and rock solid reliabilty. CX-5 hit the bullseye. My first Mazda. They really engineer their cars well for the price point.

I've noticed though in everyday driving, if I need to make quick pass, especially going up a hill, you don't always automatically think or have time to flip the sport mode switch. In many of those cases I find the words "come on Sally" popping into my head as far as waiting for the downshift. I don't like the feeling of just stomping the pedal to the floor as hard/fast as I can all the time. I also hear the ECU learns your driving style so if you drive like a Grandpa like me most all the time, the ECU is probably now in what other cars label "Eco mode" LOL. Many have mentioned in that case you notice a difference right after you do an ECU reset to tell the car to relearn your driving style. But to keep doing that would be ridiculous.

I found a couple tuners that will do a remote tune where you log data with a laptop, send them a file, they adjust your calibration to take advantage of running higher octane fuel all the time (91 instead of 87 in NA) and you can recalibrate back to stock whenever you want (before going to the dealer.) The problem is those are about $600 and you're probably only going to get 7%-8% HP increase at best. Fairly expensive and some hassle for not a lot of benefit. (Just trade in for the Turbo later.)

However the most knowledgeable of the tuners I spoke to suggested I try the Pedal Commander and guaranteed I would love it both of us knowing full well it doesn't actually increase the car's horsepower. I'm thinking of trying it too for the reasons stated above. It would be sort of a way to have the car in semi-sport mode all the time and therefore when you need some quick acceleration in a pinch, the cars going to have a quicker reaction and you don't have to put the pedal to the floor at the same time as flipping the sport mode switch. You could still go very light on the pedal in every day driving to preserve max fuel economy I assume.

The $300 may be worth it to me to not have those "come on Sally" moments anymore.

Oh and on a side note after lots of research I did find confirmation from people in other forums, one of which did a dyno test (report link expired) that these cars will make a little more horsepower with using 91 instead of 87. About 2.5% which is about 4-5 HP on the 187HP CX5. It's something you're not going to notice but it has the most benefit in hot temps under high load as it reduces the chance the ECU pulls back the timing to avoid knocking. In my area to fill up with 91 instead of 87 is about $4-$5 more and I only fill up twice a month.

So I've concluded, assuming the pedal commander is all it's cracked up to be, running 91 with a pedal commander should give you an overall more sporty driving experience in the CX-5. Flip sport mode on too and that's about as good as you're going to get on this car without resorting to some aftermarket performance mods for much more money but if you're doing that, you bought the wrong car in the first place in my opinion. It's a fricking mid-level SUV geared toward high economy for Peet Sake.

Sometimes you get better response by stepping on the peddle quickly, but not all the way down. Also, when you floor it, there is a kick switch in the peddle. The first stop you hit isn't all the way down. press through that and you'll feel the 'click'

I have a Sprint Booster installed on my CX-9. I've had it on the car for just over a year now. It has the same general function as the Pedal Commander. I did some very, very limited "testing" of my own that shows that there might be a very, very slight increase in acceleration from a standstill, and a noticeable difference in pedal response during moderate acceleration.

Usually these products come with a money back guarantee, so I'd order one up and install it to see if you like it. If it's not for you, just return it.

Sometimes you get better response by stepping on the peddle quickly, but not all the way down. Also, when you floor it, there is a kick switch in the peddle. The first stop you hit isn't all the way down. press through that and you'll feel the 'click'

This is correct. The programming "penalizes" you for stepping on gas too much but does reward you for moderate pressing.

Another way to describe it for all you retro 1990's Street Fighter 2 video gamers..............Its like trying to do Hadukens, shoryokens, spinning side kicks, hurricane Kicks, and Blanka rolls. If you do it too fast or too slow it wont work. You end up getting jabbed in the face.

Edit: I was hoping this Pedal Commander offered 1-button Hadukens...if you know what I mean :)

How difficult is it to access the accelerator connection point where the Pedal Commander and others need to be connected?

Back