So I compared a fully-loaded $65k QX60 to the $53k CX-9 Signature..

Great review and lots of attention to the details.
Before I bought my CX-9, about 2-3 yrs ago, my wife decided that she wants a new car and we looked at a number of different options. One of them was the Infiniti QX60. We test drove two different variations - the fully loaded one (close to $60k) and the trim before that (~50k).
We were pretty impressed by the fully loaded one. The interior was gorgeous. The seats, the leather, the stitching, the patterns, the color choices, the flow of the dashboard, the doors.... were all superb. Looking at the picture with the seats you posted above, it reminded me how much i liked the interior of the QX60. I personally think that the interior in my CX-9 Signature looks "cheaper", compared to the QX60 Luxe package options. My CX-9 seats are not as nice, not as plush, Nappa leather is fine but not the softest, and i do see some small gaps and stitching issues here and there too. And yes, i know the CX-9 Sig costs less ..., and it sure shows in certain areas.

We also really liked the infotainment system, the 360-degree camera, the video/DVD entertainment system for the kids, and the fact that the 2nd row seats in the QX were VERY easy to fold and move out of the way if one needs to get to the 3rd row. It was a one finger operation. I do wish my CX-9 has the same flexibility with the 2nd-row seats folding/moving.

What we hated .... well, just like it was said earlier, the CVT was a real disappointment. :( Both my wife and I, after 3 different test drives felt that there was "something wrong" with the car. It drove so unnaturally. Felt rough and underpowered when you needed to go fast. The engine noises were not pleasant because the engine had to adapt to the CVT all the time. Not fun at all. The Nissan VQ37 is an amazing engine and it is more than adequate to be in an SUV like the QX60 - it's very powerful, great torque, smooth, reliable, time tested .... but pairing it with the CVT is a cruel joke. Very bad combo. Not sure what the fuel economy benefit is, but the car is truly crippled by this transmission choice. It's a shame. I would pick an 'old school' 6-speed auto tranny over a CVT any day, regardless of MPG.

We decided that we simply can't get used to this CVT drive feeling. It is not a good idea to spend $60k on a beautiful new car and then force yourself to like its transmission, or engine, or noise level. At this price point, it has to be almost perfect...and the QX60 was not.

Last edited:
We were pretty impressed by the fully loaded one. The interior was gorgeous. The seats, the leather, the stitching, the patterns, the color choices, the flow of the dashboard, the doors.... were all superb. Looking at the picture with the seats you posted above, it reminded me how much i liked the interior of the QX60. I personally think that the interior in my CX-9 Signature looks "cheaper", compared to the QX60 Luxe package options. My CX-9 seats are not as nice, not as plush, Nappa leather is fine but not the softest, and i do see some small gaps and stitching issues here and there too. And yes, i know the CX-9 Sig costs less ..., and it sure shows in certain areas.

I agree, for the most part the QX60's interior was pretty nice. The CX-9's seat bolstering is indeed a little stiffer than the QX60's. The seat details are kind of a mixed bag for me on both. For example, the QX60's hourglass details and the contrasting edge trim is very nice, but I noticed that in a few spots on the back of the seats, the leather is not as taut and appears "loose". The CX-9's overall seat details aren't as eye-catching, and the back of the seats also have areas where the leather appears loose, but the stitch details on the front of the seats and on the headrests are much nicer.

We decided that we simply can't get used to this CVT drive feeling. It is not a good idea to spend $60k on a beautiful new car and then force yourself to like its transmission, or engine, or noise level. At this price point, it has to be almost perfect...and the QX60 was not.

Excellent point, I fully agree.

Back