2017~2024 Updated review on my 19 Signature

Yeah, the ready-time for the infotainment system can be somewhat frustrating. I'm about a mile down the road before sat radio is playing and Carplay is loaded and ready for me to launch Waze. Once everything does finally load up though, the system is very responsive. Just something to get used to..........

Yeah, the ready-time for the infotainment system can be somewhat frustrating. I'm about a mile down the road before sat radio is playing and Carplay is loaded and ready for me to launch Waze. Once everything does finally load up though, the system is very responsive. Just something to get used to..........

At least it's better than BlueTooth on my 2015, which may take 10-20 minutes, and a vehicle and phone re-start, to actually get working. I've been loving not having this phone tether bulls***. I can't believe how chintzy it was, and it was the first car I've had that did that. Junk. Just being cheap, there.

I've been playing with Voice Recognition on the radio. One feature is intermittent.

Sometime I can say "XM Lithium" and when it's working, the radio will tune to that station. Other times it will tune to a random station, or display "Station Unavailable."

When it works, it always works during that driving session (meaning until I turn off the engine and then restart it again)...it never fails as I'm driving.
When it doesn't work, it never works during that driving session (meaning until I turn off the engine and then restart it again)...it never magically starts to work as I'm driving...and I do test it.

Voice Recognition always works when I say the station number (XM 34). This never fails. I keep a card with station numbers written on it because of this.

I have had it work when I'm driving to an event. An hour later I get in and it doesn't work. I stop off at a store, get in and it doesn't work. I go get gas, start it back up, and then it works.

I ran errands yesterday. It worked when I started it up and the next 2 times I restarted it. The third time it did not work.

I always let the system fully load before trying it. I get a good ways down the road before trying VR.

I'm waiting until there are other issues before I take it to the dealer, but there's nothing they can do. It sounds like the system fails to load properly sometimes. The other day, XM completely failed to load. That's only happened once. This is during 3 weeks of ownership.

The dealer can't reload the infotainment program, can they?

Last edited:
All this talk makes me wonder. I've seen recent reviews of the 2019 Mazda3 saying that the infotainment has been improved, and a quick glance at Youtube shows that the UI certainly looks a bit updated. I wonder if that will find its way into the 2020 cx5, or if it will wait until a refresh?

All this talk makes me wonder. I've seen recent reviews of the 2019 Mazda3 saying that the infotainment has been improved, and a quick glance at Youtube shows that the UI certainly looks a bit updated. I wonder if that will find its way into the 2020 cx5, or if it will wait until a refresh?

it will be on the refresh.

My problem with the Signature is the pricing. At 40K MSRP, I'd rather just spend an extra 6 and get an RDX with the A-Spec package.

although the RDX does have some cool tech features that would be cool on the CX-5, I just can't get over their exterior design. Definitely not paying $6k more for a car that looks like doodoo.

Back