2017~2024 Updated review on my 19 Signature

:
2019 Mazda6 & CX-5
Updated review on my 19 Signature

Weve got almost 4000 miles on our XX-5 Signature. Heres my thoughts on a few select items:

-gas mileage is still meeting expectations. In almost exclusively local driving, we average 20-21 mpg. Highway nets 27-right on the EPA estimate. I have no doubt that this vehicle and engine combo would easily net 30-31 mpg highway if it had an 8 speed transmission. We always run 87 octane. That being said, this car very much needs a bigger gas tank as many have noted. Even another 2 gallons would be helpful. Youll make extra gas stops on long trips for sure.

-power is perfect. No need for more in this vehicle. Its not fast but its zippy. Contributes to the fact its enjoyable to drive.

-speaking of transmissions...this one is very very well sorted. I can see why Mazda is hesitant to change transmissions.

-the rear view camera is awful. Horrible quality view and for some reason is extremely prone to getting dirty. Far more than our rear view camera on our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Maybe its due to the camera angle. No idea. I may apply some RainX to see if that helps less gunk stick to it.

-still disappointed that the steering wheel and ESPECIALLY the side mirrors are not linked to the seat memory. Im confident some marketing expert said in a product meeting, hey, lets hold side mirrors memory back so we can phase it in as a new feature for future model years. super dumb non-luxury move by Mazda.

-the entertainment/gps system is very slow acting for the first few minutes after starting the car. Again, no other car Ive driven with gps/entertainment systems including satellite radio take that long to boot up. The logic/layout is fairly user friendly but I dont like how if you tune to a favorite radio station, change the view to say, GPS, then go back to favorites it starts you at the top of the list again. It should start the menu on the channel you are on.

-The safety system suite offers a nice balance between too much and too little. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has many false readings with its lane departure system. The Mazda rarely does.

-still appreciate the above average steering/handling and general road manners. They are at the top of the class for sure.

-its a very easy car to drive. Excellent sightlines, easy to steer/maneuver; the size isnt too big and not too small; its not terribly busy on the highway.

Weve had one random and unexplained electronic glitch. Out of nowhere, all of our radio favorites were deleted and the service schedule reminder reset to 5000. Were taking it in for its first oil change soon so well mention this to the service advisor.

Hope this is helpful and useful to someone. None of my cons are dealbreakers. Id buy this car again because the pros far outweigh the cons. Its a good looking, functional run-around vehicle for a family of four.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write-up!

I agree on most of your comments. I'm not sure how they could link the steering wheel to the seat memory, though. It's manually operated, just like in the Q5, X3 and RDX. All of which are in a class above the Mazda. I wish they would link the fob to the seat memory. The mirrors would be nice, but I really never have to touch them. It seems strange, since I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'3", but they line up pretty well.

The infotainment speed is the biggest issue, for me. It seems almost normal when it was left on XM, but when USB was in use it seems to take a minute, or more to start. I'm hoping for a SW fix, but I won't hold my breath.

We too would buy it again. It's a great bang for the buck near lux SUV. It blows away the likes of the CR-V and Rav4.

Hey Sig -

My GTR key fobs control the seat memory! Check your owners manual for instructions on how to program them.

Thanks for the write-up!

I agree on most of your comments. I'm not sure how they could link the steering wheel to the seat memory, though. It's manually operated, just like in the Q5, X3 and RDX. All of which are in a class above the Mazda. I wish they would link the fob to the seat memory. The mirrors would be nice, but I really never have to touch them. It seems strange, since I'm 6'4" and my wife is 5'3", but they line up pretty well.

The infotainment speed is the biggest issue, for me. It seems almost normal when it was left on XM, but when USB was in use it seems to take a minute, or more to start. I'm hoping for a SW fix, but I won't hold my breath.

We too would buy it again. It's a great bang for the buck near lux SUV. It blows away the likes of the CR-V and Rav4.

Hey Sig -

My GTR key fobs control the seat memory! Check your owners manual for instructions on how to program them.

LOL, thanks! I never even checked, since our salesperson told us it wasn't possible. They are usually the most reliable source for this type of info. (rlaugh)

Yeah, our fobs are programmed to the seat memory so thats helpful. Power steering wheel adjustment and steering wheel memory would be nice but I agree thats not a big deal. The lack of side mirror memory is perplexing though. Every car Ive had thats had seat memory also saved mirror memory.

Updated review on my 19 Signature

-gas mileage is still meeting expectations. In almost exclusively local driving, we average 20-21 mpg. Highway nets 27-right on the EPA estimate. I have no doubt that this vehicle and engine combo would easily net 30-31 mpg highway if it had an 8 speed transmission.
Although I also wish Mazda can update its transmission to an 8-speed, but there's no way an 8-speed can help CX-5 2.5T AWD's highway gas mileage to 30~31 mpg. My 2.5L AWD can never reach EPA highway rating at 30 mpg unless I drive it under 65 mph!

-the rear view camera is awful. Horrible quality view and for some reason is extremely prone to getting dirty. Far more than our rear view camera on our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Maybe it*s due to the camera angle. No idea. I may apply some RainX to see if that helps less gunk stick to it.
This's a known issue on gen-2 CX-5. It's the location issue and some warned don't try to use RainX to improve.

-still disappointed that the steering wheel and ESPECIALLY the side mirrors are not linked to the seat memory. I*m confident some marketing *expert* said in a product meeting, *hey, let*s hold side mirrors memory back so we can phase it in as a *new* feature for future model years.* super dumb non-luxury move by Mazda.
Steering wheel adjustments on CX-5 is manually operated. Since it's mechanical, the adjustments can't be linked with seat memory operation unless Mazda changes it to electrical like Lexus NX and many other high-end luxury vehicles which will be expensive. Actually Mazda did link outside rearview mirror adjustments to memory seat once upon a time in some gen-1 CX-9's. The elimination of such feature is purely the cost consideration.

We*ve had one random and unexplained electronic glitch. Out of nowhere, all of our radio favorites were deleted and the service schedule binder reset to 5000. We*re taking it in for its first oil change soon so we*ll mention this to the service advisor.
I'd be very disappointed if my new CX-5 is having such issue. Since it's random, your Mazda dealer won't be able to resolve such problem easily. It will be expensive to diagnose, unless your dealer is willing to replace the entire infotainment system which would be costly.

Weve got almost 4000 miles on our XX-5 Signature. Heres my thoughts on a few select items:

-gas mileage is still meeting expectations. In almost exclusively local driving, we average 20-21 mpg. Highway nets 27-right on the EPA estimate. I have no doubt that this vehicle and engine combo would easily net 30-31 mpg highway if it had an 8 speed transmission. We always run 87 octane. That being said, this car very much needs a bigger gas tank as many have noted. Even another 2 gallons would be helpful. Youll make extra gas stops on long trips for sure. Definitely needs a bigger tank. I am getting 26-27mpg on my daily commute. No road trips yet.

-power is perfect. No need for more in this vehicle. Its not fast but its zippy. Contributes to the fact its enjoyable to drive. Always needs more power, but it's not a problem.

-speaking of transmissions...this one is very very well sorted. I can see why Mazda is hesitant to change transmissions. I feel like my 2015 was better, but maybe as it wears in and learns me? It's very good, regardless

-the rear view camera is awful. Horrible quality view and for some reason is extremely prone to getting dirty. Far more than our rear view camera on our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Maybe its due to the camera angle. No idea. I may apply some RainX to see if that helps less gunk stick to it. It shows me my dog, and anything else. Good 'nuff.

-still disappointed that the steering wheel and ESPECIALLY the side mirrors are not linked to the seat memory. Im confident some marketing expert said in a product meeting, hey, lets hold side mirrors memory back so we can phase it in as a new feature for future model years. super dumb non-luxury move by Mazda. Agreed. Mirrors, especially.

-the entertainment/gps system is very slow acting for the first few minutes after starting the car. Again, no other car Ive driven with gps/entertainment systems including satellite radio take that long to boot up. The logic/layout is fairly user friendly but I dont like how if you tune to a favorite radio station, change the view to say, GPS, then go back to favorites it starts you at the top of the list again. It should start the menu on the channel you are on. Agreed on it being slow, otherwise happy. interface beats touch screen. Like it!

-The safety system suite offers a nice balance between too much and too little. Our Jeep Grand Cherokee has many false readings with its lane departure system. The Mazda rarely does. I'm neutral.

-still appreciate the above average steering/handling and general road manners. They are at the top of the class for sure. Definitely! Reminds me of my 370Z, but with lower limits. Amazing for the price and vehicle type!!!!

-its a very easy car to drive. Excellent sightlines, easy to steer/maneuver; the size isnt too big and not too small; its not terribly busy on the highway.

Weve had one random and unexplained electronic glitch. Out of nowhere, all of our radio favorites were deleted and the service schedule binder reset to 5000. Were taking it in for its first oil change soon so well mention this to the service advisor.

Hope this is helpful and useful to someone. None of my cons are dealbreakers. Id buy this car again because the pros far outweigh the cons. Its a good looking, functional run-around vehicle for a family of four.

I have a GT-R, and my responses are in red the same issues. Very pleased with it! If I had a family, I'd probably want something bigger. Props to you for making it work!

If you press "Favorites" twice, the second time it goes to the currently tuned station.

After seeing the infotainment on the new Mazda 3 - it blows the current system away. Interior for new 3/6 is also a notch better. My guess is it makes its way to CX-5 in 2021. Amazed at how much mazda has cramped into the new 3 for 24 grand. The manual hatch with red / grey combo is stunning. After owning my CX5 for 3 years I am not super impressed with build quality. Its on par or slightly behind other makes. Thankfully the cloth seats are amazing on touring. Indestructible and feels new after 30+ months.

After seeing the infotainment on the new Mazda 3 - it blows the current system away. Interior for new 3/6 is also a notch better. My guess is it makes its way to CX-5 in 2021. Amazed at how much mazda has cramped into the new 3 for 24 grand. The manual hatch with red / grey combo is stunning. After owning my CX5 for 3 years I am not super impressed with build quality. Its on par or slightly behind other makes. Thankfully the cloth seats are amazing on touring. Indestructible and feels new after 30+ months.

If only they coulda crammed that manual in with AWD...

We*ve got almost 4000 miles on our XX-5 Signature. Here*s my thoughts on a few select items:

-speaking of transmissions...this one is very very well sorted. I can see why Mazda is hesitant to change transmissions.

They're not hesitant, they just don't have another one to replace it with. Developing engines and transmissions cost lots of $$$. It is a fine transmission however I hope they come out with one with more gears for gas mileage.

Things that would make the CX-5 perfect:

-A new transmission with more gears
-Updated infotainment from the new Mazda3
-LED turnsignals like the new Mazda3
-Larger infotainment screen like the new Mazda3
-Integrate the rear USB ports into the center console like most vehicles already do

My problem with the Signature is the pricing. At 40K MSRP, I'd rather just spend an extra 6 and get an RDX with the A-Spec package.

Last edited:
Thankfully the cloth seats are amazing on touring. Indestructible and feels new after 30+ months.

Agreed! I love my cloth seats personally. As good as the day I bought the car nearly 6 years ago.

I was actually a little surprised about the infotainment when I saw it. A family member recently purchased a used 2016 and that Mazda Connect system is dog slow compared to the one in my 2014.

Agreed! I love my cloth seats personally. As good as the day I bought the car nearly 6 years ago.

I was actually a little surprised about the infotainment when I saw it. A family member recently purchased a used 2016 and that Mazda Connect system is dog slow compared to the one in my 2014.

Didnt someone a while back suggest stopping your contacts from syncing upon startup every time to speed up the Bluetooth connection?

Didnt someone a while back suggest stopping your contacts from syncing upon startup every time to speed up the Bluetooth connection?
She didn't even have her phone connected at the time. When I say slow I mean the startup was slow and it was laggy at times selecting different apps/options.

Mazda Connect is slow mainly due to BT connection to the paired phone.
Try to start w/o cell phone nearby, and see how fast it boots up.

I am not saying this is a customers' problem.
It is still Mazda's issue to resolve or improve.

They're not hesitant, they just don't have another one to replace it with. Developing engines and transmissions cost lots of $$$. It is a fine transmission however I hope they come out with one with more gears for gas mileage.

Things that would make the CX-5 perfect:

-A new transmission with more gears
-Updated infotainment from the new Mazda3
-LED turnsignals like the new Mazda3
-Larger infotainment screen like the new Mazda3
-Integrate the rear USB ports into the center console like most vehicles already do

My problem with the Signature is the pricing. At 40K MSRP, I'd rather just spend an extra 6 and get an RDX with the A-Spec package.

The Sig sells for like $35k though.

The only issue I have had with my GTR is in the infotainment center. It's super slow, the satellite sometimes takes several miles to start playing music, and I've had issues with it locking up while my phone was connected (only happened once). In general, I have never had an issue with the radio so I notice any problems the way I have with the Mazda.

We are in the UK at the moment and have a simple Hyundai Kona. The infotainment system, with CarPlay, is fantastic. I think one reason it works so well is that it is very simple. This is a base model car so no XM or vehicle controls. But overall, a very nice, responsive and clean system.

Back