Do people living in hot climates such as Texas or Arizona use 0w-20?

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
I am curious if people in hot climates use 0w-20 weight oil. It is going to get warmer fast where I am, and 0w-20 is such a low viscosity. Mazda recommends it so I am using it.

I did in my 2015 CX5. I lived in NWA at the time, and drove through TX a lot. 106K miles when traded, and zero engine issues.

5qt. jug of 0w20 Castrol Edge from Walmart for me. Has been anywhere from $19 - $28.

Last edited:
Yes, I get Mobil 1 0W-20 from Costco, 6x1Qt= ~$29.

Pretty good deal.

I actually noticed running the longer oil change interval, that I needed to add a quart around 5k miles. I am at 6k now. I noticed last oil change I did that I was down a quart, and now I confirmed it again. Not sure what that means. :\

I use 0w20 mazda moly. This would be my first Arizona summer on the cx5.
Have to change 5k miles or 6mo because of the warranty.
Once I do my next uoa I can share and compare with my first uoa in winter weather...if phx can have winter :)

Last cars were run here with 5w20 blend and no issues . Key here is to change it regularly.

re,Castrol, I noticed the same. My local walmart price goes up and down when they have promos every month.Now is 29 used to be 24 last month.
Its tempting but I get mazda moly for around 35$ and that satisfies me.

to ColoradoDriver: Probably this 0w20 is just too thin thats why by 5-6k miles a bit of it is gone...
More like this is good oil for Alaska but hello CAFE...
its a shame mazda does not directly give us to use 5w30 in USA.

I use 0w20 mazda moly. This would be my first Arizona summer on the cx5.
Have to change 5k miles or 6mo because of the warranty.
Mazda recommends flexible oil change interval for 2018 CX-5 which is up to 7,500 miles or 12 months. This should satisfy the warranty requirement.

I use 0W-20 Mazda moly in Texas. I'm tempting to use 5W-30 oil where Mazda recommends it for SkyActiv-G to other regions in the world.

I'm going 10k between oil changes(once a year), and around 7k I check the level and every time, I have to put in a quart. Tha 6 quart box from Costco, works out well for me.

0w20 will be fine in TX AND it will satisfy the warranty requirements. After warranty is over use 5w30 if it make you fell better. Ed

unfortunately in my case Arizona falls into schedule 2 of the 2018 maintenance - 6mo or 5k miles due to
-dusty conditions
-extreme hot conditions in summer

unfortunately in my case Arizona falls into schedule 2 of the 2018 maintenance - 6mo or 5k miles due to
-dusty conditions

I highly advise considering:

-Transmission fluid drain/fills. Our desert high heat environment is extreme.
-Consider 7k mile oil changes but check level at 5k miles. I have good results with Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 not burning off.
-Change oil in February to last through July. Then July through January. To mitigate oil to full exposure to our 4-month 100-degree summers.
-Using AEM Dry flow filters. Folks don't realize how just one sand storm accumulates as much sand in our engine filter as 1 year in other cars. Reusable filter.

-I'm currently experimenting with Amsoil 0w20 Signature Series oil. My cousin in Gilbert, AZ is using it in his Mazda3 and sent oil analysis to Blackstone labs at 1-year/10k miles. Got good results back.

Last edited:
-dusty conditions
Just checked the owner's manual for 2018 CX-5. Schedule 2 (severe driving conditions) still uses Flexible maintenance for oil change, although there're 2 exceptions:

• Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation such as police car, taxi or driving school car.
  • Driving in dusty conditions.

Back