Drove a 2019 Signature Yesterday

mcrimm

:
Mazda 3 5 door SGT
We test drove a red SG yesterday near Destin Florida with the thought of replacing our 2015 Mazda 3 sGT. we need something larger in which to travel as we spend half of the year away from the snow and cold. We liked many of the features including the quieter cabin, HUD, dual electric seats and interior in general. The safety features are on par with todays standards.

The cons, considering this is the top trim, included lack of remote start, poor camera, backup camera not showing backup path, seat and steering wheel not moving automatically to ease egress from the car. These are what we noticed in a 5 minute test drive.

These are features from other top trim levels of vehicles we own or have owned.

The dealership ran the numbers and after lowballing me on the trade, came back with a trade figure that was still below our expectations. Were in no rush.

Well keep looking.

To get those items you will need to step up in price by about $10k, or compromise elsewhere, to stay in the same bracket.

May I ask: which car has all those you want and cost less than $40k?
Remote start is an accessory one can install later.

On my 2002 maxima, the seat moves back when you shut off the car and moves forward when you start it, steering wheel doesn't move tho. I honestly think that feature is useless and I end up turning it off. I can get in and out of the car fine with the seat as is. I feel like I actually had a harder time getting out of the car with the seat moved further back in that car :/

On my 2002 maxima, the seat moves back when you shut off the car and moves forward when you start it, steering wheel doesn't move tho. I honestly think that feature is useless and I end up turning it off. I can get in and out of the car fine with the seat as is. I feel like I actually had a harder time getting out of the car with the seat moved further back in that car :/

I wonder if that is a Nissan thing. I have a Pathfinder rental (CX-9 got rear ended) and it does that as well. No memory seats and my wife, who is shorter, can't actually reach the button without scooting far forward to push the button to the start the car and move the seat back into position!

We test drove a red SG yesterday near Destin Florida with the thought of replacing our 2015 Mazda 3 sGT. we need something larger in which to travel as we spend half of the year away from the snow and cold. We liked many of the features including the quieter cabin, HUD, dual electric seats and interior in general. The safety features are on par with today*s standards.

The cons, considering this is the top trim, included lack of remote start, poor camera, backup camera not showing backup path, seat and steering wheel not moving automatically to ease egress from the car. These are what we noticed in a 5 minute test drive.

These are features from other top trim levels of vehicles we own or have owned.
Yes, but you're not going to find ALL of those features you mentioned in ONE compact CUV in this price range, especially automatic steering wheel which requires more expensive electrical adjustments instead of mechanical, and this won't happen unless it's a high-end luxury compact CUV like Lexus NX.

Mazda North American Operations should include better predictive backup camera which would be showing the backup path, as this feature is available on CX-5 in other regions!

The closest one with most of these features you believe they're lacking on Mazda CX-5 Signature is Honda CR-V Touring. But Honda CR-V has concerns in other areas.

Unobtanium said it correctly, "to get those items you will need to step up in price by about $10k, or compromise elsewhere, to stay in the same bracket."

Last edited:
* Remote start is an accessory one can install later.
Its also super glitchy and poorly done.
Accessories even if they're OEM are still different from those features installed from factory. Accessories many times are designed poorly and are an after-thought. Not to mention they usually require taking part many parts to install, not a good idea to a brand-new vehicle. I personally would want features only from factory, not installed at the port, or worse, at the dealership.

And yes, Mazda OEM remote start accessory is the worst you can get. Remote Engine Start comes with an additional fob which looks like a product from 1970's featuring a telescopic antenna! Mazda Mobile Start is very slow and glitchy, which requires monthly subscribing fee.

Mazda North American Operations should include better predictive backup camera which would be showing the backup path, as this feature is available in other regions in CX-5!.

It also works here, but you need to put the camera in 360 mode. It would be nice if they showed up in normal mode, though.

I disagree for the 1,000th time that Mazda needs those stupid curvy lines in the backup camera. You people wanting that are embarrassing me. Learn how to use the static lines. They are 100% as good as the bendy's. The bendy's provide zero benefit to someone that is even moderately decent at backing up. Z-E-R-O
Stop it.
:D
(I am of course exaggerating, y'all don't embarrass me! lol)

I disagree for the 1,000th time that Mazda needs those stupid curvy lines in the backup camera. You people wanting that are embarrassing me. Learn how to use the static lines. They are 100% as good as the bendy's. The bendy's provide zero benefit to someone that is even moderately decent at backing up. Z-E-R-O
Stop it.

100% agree with you.

I have been in tight spots where the lines on our backup camera are more than sufficient to get out or to park. I don't understand why people need the lines to curve while they are parking, sounds like some of you would not survive in a world where back up cameras don't exist.

Last edited:
I don't NEED the curved lines for anything. I like them as a visual that shows me if my wheels are turned one way or the other. It's not at all a necessity, but just something nice to have.

Stop it.

I have come around to this idea. Bendy lines don't actually make any sense once you start moving.

I'm a straight-liner myself since I want to line parallel with the parking lines. Don't need "Bendy" Lines. Resolution could be improved but then again a minor thing imo.

I don't NEED the curved lines for anything. I like them as a visual that shows me if my wheels are turned one way or the other. It's not at all a necessity, but just something nice to have.
Exactly. We don't NEED 360 View Monitor、Front and Rear Parking Sensors found on CX-5 Signature. We don't NEED Traffic Sign Recognition System、Automatic Power-folding Side Mirrors、Windshield Wiper De-icer found on CX-5 GTR and Sig. We definitely don't NEED Windshield-projected Active Driving Display、Ventilated Front Seats、Heated Rear Seats、Heated Steering Wheel. But there're many features that are very nice to have, make us feel more comfortable, and may be make our driving safer. They also make the buyers feel they get more value with less money.

When I was questioning why Mazda North American Operations didn't feature memory seat which was available everywhere in the world but US back in 2015, many said memory seat is useless. Once Mazda started offering the memory seat in 2017, where were these people? The same is happening again. Bendy lines are useless? Wait until you've actually used it.

Just drove a Chevy Bolt electrical car on the other day and used the bendy lines during the reverse. It's very useful doing the tight parallel parking on the hilly road side in San Francisco area without hitting the curb.

Exactly. We don't NEED 360 View Monitor*Front and Rear Parking Sensors found on CX-5 Signature. We don't NEED Traffic Sign Recognition System*Automatic Power-folding Side Mirrors*Windshield Wiper De-icer found on CX-5 GTR and Sig. We definitely don't NEED Windshield-projected Active Driving Display*Ventilated Front Seats*Heated Rear Seats*Heated Steering Wheel. But there're many features that are very nice to have, make us feel more comfortable, and may be make our driving safer. They also make the buyers feel they get more value with less money.

When I was questioning why Mazda North American Operations didn't feature memory seat which was available everywhere in the world but US back in 2015, many said memory seat is useless. Once Mazda started offering the memory seat in 2017, where were these people? The same is happening again. Bendy lines are useless? Wait until you've actually used it.

Just drove a Chevy Bolt electrical car on the other day and used the bendy lines during the reverse. It's very useful doing the tight parallel parking on the hilly road side in San Francisco area without hitting the curb.

Oh, you've been around long enough to know how this goes...

WE DON'T NEED SOUND INSULATION! IT WILL RUIN THE HANDLING!
THIS CAR IS ABOUT DRIVING! IF YOU WANT COMFORT, BUY A RAV4 OR OTHER APPLIANCE!
ZOOMZOOM!

Yup. Bendy lines suck, until you have them. Then its bendy lines are a must have, super useful!

Lol. Seen it here many times just like you mentioned.

Yup. *Bendy lines suck*, until you have them. Then it*s *bendy lines are a must have, super useful!*

Lol. Seen it here many times just like you mentioned.

My 370Z had them. I kinda miss them, kinda not worried about it. My #1 complaint now is lack of remote start, but I knew that going in.

Back