Extended Warranty - To buy or not to Buy

TrudyCX9

I just bought a pre-owned 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring with 27k miles. Dealer was selling me HARD on the extended warranty to cover any costs associated with the infotainment, electronic, etc issues. This coverage would have cost an additional $50/month (3k total) over 5 years. I figured to just save my money and if an issue comes up, pay for it then. Anyone veteran CX-9 owners have experience with this?

I just bought a pre-owned 2016 CX-9 Grand Touring with 27k miles. Dealer was selling me HARD on the extended warranty to cover any costs associated with the infotainment, electronic, etc issues. This coverage would have cost an additional $50/month (3k total) over 5 years. I figured to just save my money and if an issue comes up, pay for it then. Anyone veteran CX-9 owners have experience with this?

Bought my 2017 Signature without any extended warranty...thought at the time I didn't need it. So far after over 2yrs of ownership no issues so maybe I saved myself $2-3K. If something goes wrong then I'll use that savings towards repair.

An extended warranty that runs concurrent with the manufacturers warranty is pretty much just a one or two year warranty. The reason they are pushing that HARD is because they make an insane amount of profit selling you what is often a worthless product.

I bought my 2018 with extended warranty, but only because I got a ridiculous deal on it during negotiation.

Everyone's price is different when it comes to peace of mind. That said, I wouldn't pay $3k for an extended warranty. I've owned mine for just over a year with 20,000 kms on it and no major issues. For 2016 owners, most of the issues were with the infotainment, so as long as your firmware is up to date and it works, you're probably good to go. If you feel like you want it, negotiate the price down aggressively. It will be profit for them no matter what price they sell it at. But I wouldn't say that anyone needs it.

Back