Is anybody having seat comfort issues?

BirchBarlow

:
2017 Honda CR-V AWD
I test drove a GT-R the other day and I loved the drive, however the seat comfort was God-awful. It broke my heart. Has anyone here had seat comfort issues, and if so did you find a way to solve the issue?

I think the seats in my dad's 2016 CX-5 are more comfortable than the ones in my 2015 Subaru Outback. The Outback has nicer cloth though. Neither car's seats are as comfortable as my old 2004 Camrys seats were. Those were sooo comfortable.

I test drove a GT-R the other day and I loved the drive, however the seat comfort was God-awful. It broke my heart. Has anyone here had seat comfort issues, and if so did you find a way to solve the issue?

I've only had my '19 for a few days, but in that time driven about 450 miles.
My '16 had significantly firmer seat cushioning, which I think I may prefer. For me the hard/firm drivers seat of the 2016 CX-5 was my favorite part of the vehicle.

Last edited:
For me, the seats are way more comfortable than my wife's old CR-V. That said, it's a very personal thing. One person may think a seat is the most comfortable ever, while another will think it's the opposite. If you truly can't find a comfortable position, you shouldn't buy it. Nothing worse than being stuck with an issue like that.

I think i depends on a person's size and shape.

I love the seats in most Mazdas as they fit me perfectly, but I am a smaller guy.

I agree with above. Wife and I passed on many "luxury" vehicles because of personal fit in the seats. She is 5' tall, and it is even more important for her what is adjustable, and how comfortable things are.

I bought my '18 GT brand new and I'd say it definitely took 1,000 miles or so until the seats were "broken in." As for the support, my only complaint is how the side of the seats hug you when you're taking a turn fast. There is a spongy feeling that allows you to slide left to right a little bit.

The seats are definitely lacking. The base isnt wide enough and the bolsters dig into your thighs. The bolsters also arent high enough to be very effective.

The side bolsters for the back of the seat are kind of a joke. To be fair, Im a smaller guy, but I slide around too much. A let down considering its a sportier driving vehicle.

The seats in the 16 have a better base. The side bolsters do not dig into your thighs and are high enough to prevent you from sliding around. I find the side bolsters for the back are similar to the 19 and dont do a good job holding me in place.

The seats in the 16 3 I had were much more supportive and held me in place.

I've had my 2019 Reserve for 10 days now and have been tweaking the seat adjustment.

I can tell you that I started off with the seat too high. It's as though increasing the height involves inflating the seat bottom and not raising the entire assembly. It's has been making my right leg and buttocks ache, almost like a cramp or a pinched nerve due to sitting high on the inflated seat bottom putting pressure on it. I lowered (deflated?) it a bit and that seems to have helped.

I plan to start with a clean slate and try the adjustment steps in the order outlined in the manual to see if that helps, rather than just "winging it." But I'm with you. I hate to think I've got to come up with some aftermarket solution. Finding something to put across the seat back would be easy. Finding something safe & comfortable to remediate a seat bottom issue is gonna be tougher. Then there's the whole "don't defeat the ventilated seat feature" concern.

Last edited:
I find my cloth Gen 1 Touring seats very comfortable.

Going to all be pretty subjective based on weight, height, overall build, health issues (bad back, etc.).

I'm definitely in the camp who appreciates firm seats, but my wife has a preference for softer cushioning. For those people who find the seats too firm, has anyone found any seat covers or cushions that have helped?

I hate to throw this out there, because there are certain things a man of a certain age should know how to do without instructions: lace his shoes, tie his tie, adjust his car seat. But the manual gives specific steps to get a "good fit" driving position. It has helped me quite a bit with the comfort issue.

I have always liked to have my seat adjusted pretty far back...I don't like my face to be in the steering wheel. When I follow the steps in the manual (and they are pretty detailed), I find it has me sitting closer than I am used to, but it feels right for the car.

It is not an unpleasant change, and I've been driving this new way for a couple of days now. It has definitely taken pressure off of the back of my leg, although I'm still tweaking things a bit.

I dunno. It's something to try. I left my original position set as Memory #1 in case I wish to revert, and this one is in Memory #2.

It's a weird problem to discover at this point. I never noticed it during the test drives. But the lengthy test drives were in the 2018 fabric seats.

Just drove 4 hrs home and was as comfy as can be!! Mazda seats have been awesome for me!! 5-10"... 225 pounds. Madza for life!!

I find the fabric seats very comfortable. I*d opt out of leather seats in a heartbeat - I*m paying probably $2500 for something I don*t want. I don*t see leather as a luxury.

I find the fabric seats very comfortable. I*d opt out of leather seats in a heartbeat - I*m paying probably $2500 for something I don*t want. I don*t see leather as a luxury.

Completely agree. One of the reasons the GT didn't appeal to me.

Right there with you.

If it had been an option--even for free--I would have passed on it.

I, too, find fabric to be more comfortable. And it's easier to maintain.

I mean, I'll be honest, I made less than half of what I make now when I bought mine, so yes, price was a factor.

That said, had I wanted any of the techy packages, I would have added on to a Touring instead of going GT just to keep the cloth seats.

Back