'16 CX-5 possible rear brake drag causing tires to wear?

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I have a 16 CX-5 sport with around 40,200 miles and the original Geolander tires. I got the rear brakes replaced last year in July by my mechanic. Initially he didn't understand the Electronic Parking Brake. So, at that time I felt a bit of a drag when I drove the vehicle after the brake pads were replaced.

I researched the rear brake job on this site and sent him the procedure to put the vehicle in maintenance mode in order to replace the rear disc pads. So, he re-did the procedure for me and the vehicle seemed to drive better. However, I have noticed the rear tires seem to have been wearing out faster than the front tires.

If I do the Penny test, it seems to me I have to replace the rear tires. On my dash I don't seem to see the parking brake engaged or the vehicle in maintenance mode.

So, could the brake job caused the rear tires wearing out faster than the front? I want to replace all four of the tires with Bridgestone Ecopias with the 70k mile warranty from Costco.. However, I want to make sure the rear brakes won't wear out the new tires.

Any way to tell? My oil change is due so I will be taking it to the dealer. I suppose they can tell me if the rear pads and calipers are ok.

If the parking brake releases without delay or drag (the vehicle will roll on a slight incline) it is probably free but jack it up to test for sure. If it is binding enough to cause tire wear, I think you would be aware of them being hot.

As easy way to check to see if you have brake drag is to drive your car for a bit without using the brakes at all, then coast to a stop somewhere where it's safe to do so. Place the trans in park and get out. Check the temp of each rotor with your fingers (or an IR thermometer if you have one). If you didn't use the brakes to stop or slow down then each one of the rotors should be relatively cool to the touch. If not, something is dragging.

I have a 16 CX-5 sport with around 40,200 miles and the original Geolander tires. I got the rear brakes replaced last year in July by my mechanic. Initially he didn't understand the Electronic Parking Brake. So, at that time I felt a bit of a drag when I drove the vehicle after the brake pads were replaced.

I researched the rear brake job on this site and sent him the procedure to put the vehicle in maintenance mode in order to replace the rear disc pads. So, he re-did the procedure for me and the vehicle seemed to drive better. However, I have noticed the rear tires seem to have been wearing out faster than the front tires.

If I do the Penny test, it seems to me I have to replace the rear tires. On my dash I don't seem to see the parking brake engaged or the vehicle in maintenance mode.

So, could the brake job caused the rear tires wearing out faster than the front? I want to replace all four of the tires with Bridgestone Ecopias with the 70k mile warranty from Costco.. However, I want to make sure the rear brakes won't wear out the new tires.

Any way to tell? My oil change is due so I will be taking it to the dealer. I suppose they can tell me if the rear pads and calipers are ok.

It is unlikely that the tire wear you are seeing was affected by the brakes.

#1 Is it possible that the mechanic, because he did not understand the maintenance mode, and performed the repair improperly, that brake attempt #1 might have caused damage to the mechanism? There is a TSB for this mechanism.

#2 Without actually LOOKING at your tires, it is hard to diagnose over computer, but is the tire worn uniformly across the tire? If so, then most likely you have just a worn out tire. But if you have any feathering, cupping, uneven wear, then it might be time to look at the alignment.

Yes it's possible rear brake drag causing tires to wear. And the problem very likely is from your rear brake calipers which cause dragging by Electrical Parking Brake. You need a new pair of revised rear calipers. See the TSB for more details:

TSB R052/16C - Noise from REAR BRAKE/Trace of Rear Brake Dragging

If you got 40K miles from the factory tires consider yourself lucky and replace your tires.
Have your brakes inspected at the same time - it will be obvious if they have been dragging.
I would have expected the fronts would have worn more than the rears. But maybe you have been doing some tire rotation.
Also there is no way that dragging calipers will increase tire wear. Dragging calipers will increase pad and rotor wear - but the tires turn as usual and get normal wear caused by friction with the pavement.

Back