Who has done the Apple Carplay/Android Auto upgrade?

JRM1022

:
2016 Mazda CX-5
How do you update the software? My dad's CX-5 has version 51.00.--- and it says you need version 70.--.----. I am technologically impaired. What do I need to do to update this?

Last edited:
You need to update to v70, and install a hardware box.
Dealer charge varies from $250 to $500.
The hardware box costs about $145 on eBay.
Software update can be updated in 30 mins DIY (download it from web w/ instruction).
I did the software update already.
Waiting for the right time to buy hardware.

You need to update to v70, and install a hardware box.
Dealer charge varies from $250 to $500.
The hardware box costs about $145 on eBay.
Software update can be updated in 30 mins DIY (download it from web w/ instruction).
I did the software update already.
Waiting for the right time to buy hardware.

Thanks for the reply. I purchased the hardware box on eBay, I just need to figure out how to update the software. I've never done that before. I'm sure I can do it, I just need it explained in simple terms. I googled it and couldn't find a clear answer. If anyone can shed some light on how to update the software, it'd be much appreciated. I'd like to be able to do this without a trip to the dealership.

Thanks for the reply. I purchased the hardware box on eBay, I just need to figure out how to update the software. I've never done that before. I'm sure I can do it, I just need it explained in simple terms. I googled it and couldn't find a clear answer. If anyone can shed some light on how to update the software, it'd be much appreciated. I'd like to be able to do this without a trip to the dealership.

JRM,
See the link below. Proceed at your own risk, though..... have to put it up here... sorry.

https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware/NA%20N
(NA version. for other version, go up one level and select)

Last edited:
Managed to update the firmware today myself, thanks for all the help and links guys. Hardware kit came in the mail today. I'm going to swap cars with my dad tomorrow and install the kit. That should be the easy part. I'm very mechanically inclined, just not very technologically inclined.

The kit was less than $150 from a Mazda dealer on eBay, so total investment in this is less than $150 and a few hours of my time. Not too bad.

I got the upgrade on my 2017 CX5. Great update and cheap ($150).
I got the software upgrade for free at my local dealership. The hardware part took me about an hour because I was being really careful not to scratch the vehicle.

Very happy with it.

I do mods // upgrades // installs all myself, but I was too chicken to attempt the software update. (no) Too much to go wrong. (nailbyt) Was able to take it to the dealer and they did it for free, that was good. Just kind of play the part - "my bluetooth doesn't work with it now," "It glitches out often with the version now" etc etc. (laugh) If I want acp then I'll purchase // do the install myself, there's plenty of tutorials online. Dealer quoted me just under $500 for ACP for parts // labor install.

I went to my local Mazda dealership for routine maintenance soon after receiving the upgrade kit via eBay. Told guys in the shop that Ill be doing a CarPlay/AA upgrade myself. And they just put some bogus reason like xm issue in their work log to update my firmware to v70. Again this is my personal experience so result may vary but Id say worth a try.

Ask your dealers to upgrade to v70 while you still can.... under warranty, of course.
Mazda has sent out notice to all dealers that do not upgrade to v70 unless for installing Android Auto/CarPlay.
From what I have used for months, nothing goes bad with v70 (DIY per link I posted above).
I will install the hardware when the price goes down, and it will. I am in no hurry.

I got mine installed yesterday at the dealer (Heritage Mazda in Lutherville, Md) It was $399 and they had a 10% off coupon, so saved me $40 bucks. I had routine maintenance scheduled anyway, so I lumped it in. My kids have been telling me I'm crazy if I don't get it, so I bit the bullet. Of course it's only been a day, but I'm loving it so far.

JRM,
See the link below. Proceed at your own risk, though..... have to put it up here... sorry.

https://my.hidrive.com/share/hsodpqja.l#$/Mazda_Firmware/NA%20N
(NA version. for other version, go up one level and select)

Thanks for the link to the software and install instructions. I'll be attempting this tomorrow

Back