Rust getting formed after this winter

:
2019 CX5 GT-R
Hi All

in a years time I'm seeing rust formation on the exhaust pipe. How are other members handing this ? Please suggest

Rust formation .jpg

If you live in Ontario like I do, then you'll probably get snow in the winter, like I do.
Along with that comes road salt, lots of it.
To NOT have a little rust starting on a 2016 vehicle in our climate would be a surprise.
I'm going with: What you see is normal and to be expected.

Yep pretty much normal. I see the underside of your car has a layer of salt on it, so I assume you live in an area that gets snow and roads salted. Salt is highly corrosive, and with it comes rust. That is only surface rust and nothing to be concerned about at this point. There are things you can do to slow down the rusting, like Krown or Fluid Film undercoating. Avoid rubber type undercoatings like Ziebart.

Hi @JRM1022 / @Buzzman12 Thanks for your comments. This month is mylast service under warranty hence wanted to get the opinion. Have a nice week end

If your are inclined you can paint it with high temp primer and paint but from my experience mufflers rarely fail from rust. Most of the time it is the pipe and areas where something has been welded to it that fails. Joints, heat shield brackets etc.

That seems a bit on the much side, imo. I'm no expert though. I'll take a look at my 16 tomorrow and see how it compares.

If you don't wash regularly, even in winter,(especially hosing off the bottom) then this is to be expected. Most exhaust systems rust from the inside out due to corrosive gases though.

Back