2016 Cx-5 sport rear tire wear

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
I have a 16 CX-5 sport with around 40,200 miles and the original Geolander tires. I got the rear brakes replaced last year in July by my mechanic. Initially he didn't understand the Electronic Parking Brake. So, at that time I felt a bit of a drag when I drove the vehicle after the brake pads were replaced.

I researched the rear brake job on this site and sent him the procedure to put the vehicle in maintenance mode in order to replace the rear disc pads. So, he re-did the procedure for me and the vehicle seemed to drive better. However, I have noticed the rear tires seem to have been wearing out faster than the front tires.

If I do the Penny test, it seems to me I have to replace the rear tires. On my dash I don't seem to see the parking brake engaged or the vehicle in maintenance mode.

So, could the brake job caused the rear tires wearing out faster than the front? I want to replace all four of the tires with Bridgestone Ecopias with the 70k mile warranty from Costco.. However, I want to make sure the rear brakes won't wear out the new tires.

Any way to tell? My oil change is due so I will be taking it to the dealer. I suppose they can tell me if the rear pads and calipers are ok.

I had bought the vehicle used back in August of 2016 with about 16,950 miles. Ever since I owned it, I rotated every 5,000 miles.

may be they never rotated before you and rears used to be front for 17k miles?
which may explain why they are low now.

Change them. No other option.

If a mechanic does not understand what has to be done on my car, he won't touch my car.

Back