2013~2016 Should I change transmission fluid in Skyactiv cars?

I have just over 156,000mi/250,000km on my CX-5. Ive had the dealer do flushes every 60,000mi/100,000km. No issues so far, though I wonder if they should be changing the filter too.

Quick update.

I called another Mazda dealer and they told me completely different story. They said they're specifically instructed by Mazda to NOT change the ATF in Skyactiv engines and they wont be able to do it for me even if I ask them to do it.

I called the original dealer (as mentioned in post #1) and asked the service advisor how they're planning to do a transmission flush when there is no hookup in the car. He said I am misinformed and they have done this hundreds of times on Skyactive cars. He reiterated this is NOT a drain-and-fill, but a proper flush.

I am completely lost now. One dealer wont even do it. Other seems to do a flush. Planning to call up Mazda NA to find out.

What I don't understand at all is how can a dealer recommend ATF change (flush or drain is immaterial) when Mazda themselves recommend against it.

Quick update.

I called another Mazda dealer and they told me completely different story. They said they're specifically instructed by Mazda to NOT change the ATF in Skyactiv engines and they wont be able to do it for me even if I ask them to do it.

I called the original dealer (as mentioned in post #1) and asked the service advisor how they're planning to do a transmission flush when there is no hookup in the car. He said I am misinformed and they have done this hundreds of times on Skyactive cars. He reiterated this is NOT a drain-and-fill, but a proper flush.

I am completely lost now. One dealer wont even do it. Other seems to do a flush. Planning to call up Mazda NA to find out.

What I don't understand at all is how can a dealer recommend ATF change (flush or drain is immaterial) when Mazda themselves recommend against it.
Because if a stealership can sucker another $150.....

Look it's the same story with the dealers here. One offers a flush, another won't touch it. And don't expect to get anything clear out of Mazda NAO. I asked them to define lifetime fluid in years or mileage and they refused.

What you should do is either take them at their word and not touch the transmission, or else drain and fill....but if you do that make sure you use Mazda ATF Type FZ. If you take it to some lube shop, they'll do red fluid and you really shouldnt mix fluids.

Also...if this dealership insists they can flush, insist you be allowed to watch and see what they say to that. ;)

Last edited:
MAZDA doesn't say DO NOT CHANGE THE ATF as someone stated above. MAZDA doesn't have a change mileage/time listed on their schedule nor have I read that MAZDA states it is a "Life-Time fluid". My MAZDA mechanic said to change it at 100,000 miles if that makes me feel good, and to me that seems reasonable IF I don't use my CX5 for trailer pulling. Ed

Last edited:
I have just over 156,000mi/250,000km on my CX-5. I*ve had the dealer do flushes every 60,000mi/100,000km. No issues so far, though I wonder if they should be changing the filter too.

How much did your dealer charge you for these 'flushes'? You are paying attention to the conversation gong on here right?

How much did your dealer charge you for these 'flushes'? You are paying attention to the conversation gong on here right?
Yeah I simply don't believe any Mazda dealer in the US would do a true ATF "flush" on SkyActiv-Drive transmission. Distinguishing between ATF drain-and-fill and a true flush is important, as drain-and-fill can only replace less than half of the total ATF capacity of a transmission each time (~3.5 qts. of 8.2 qts. total ATF capacity on SkyActiv-Drive), but a true flush should replace entire ATF.

One way to tell is if the dealer details the parts for ATF "flush", check the quantity of Mazda OEM ATF FZ used. If it lists only 4 or 5 quarts that definitely means it's a drain-and-fill!

Also I don't think any Mazda dealer would allow you to watch and see what they're doing during ATF flush. They'll tell you that you're not allowed in the area because of the insurance reason. ;)

On the bill I got, dealer charged 4 qts of ATF FZ. $14 per.
So, drain and refill for $150.

On my '09 CX9, my dealer did say they did flushing.
They said they had a device to remove fluid from torque converter.
That was with the Aisin tranny.

On the bill I got, dealer charged 4 qts of ATF FZ. $14 per.
So, drain and refill for $150.

On my '09 CX9, my dealer did say they did flushing.
They said they had a device to remove fluid from torque converter.
That was with the Aisin tranny.

Yikes. I think I spent a little over $150 for enough fluid to do 3 drain and fills heh.

If they're doing a drain-and-fill with 4 quarts, with no other follow up visits, aren't they effectively replacing only less than half of the ATF? Even assuming you have to change the ATF, is this the way to do it?

Doesn't make sense.

The dealership that did my ATF fluid change told me that they 'SUCK' the old fluid out with a state the art equipment. And they told me that it is not a lifetime fluid, it still needs to be changed @ 60k mi using the fluid designed for Skyactiv engines (blue ones).

I love stories about state of the art equipment. Service advisors are the best at telling them, without a bit of knowledge on the subject. Unfortunately, many customers have to take that as a professional explanation.

If they're doing a drain-and-fill with 4 quarts, with no other follow up visits, aren't they effectively replacing only less than half of the ATF? Even assuming you have to change the ATF, is this the way to do it?

Doesn't make sense.
It makes sense as drain-and-fill diluting the old ATF with fresh ATF. Doing it one time youd have about a half of fresh fluid in your transmission. Many DIYers doing drain-and-fill twice or 3 times within several weeks to get fresher ATF in the transmission.

Since theres no better way to drain old ATF out of an automatic transmission like the engine, as more than half the old ATF will be stuck inside of torque convertor and valve body. A state the art equipment sucking the ATF out is merely a traditional ATF flush machine which needs outside ATF lines to intercept old fluid and feed fresh fluid while the ATF is circulating into an external ATF cooler usually located inside of radiator. On our SkyActiv-Drive transmission Mazda designed a way that the AFT cooler is a part of transmission, with engine coolant circulating into the transmission ATF cooler. A traditional ATF flush machine simply cant do the job, unless a special ATF cooler adapter with outer ports is used to let the flush machine hook up. But I doubt Mazda NAO would approve this method, otherwise Mazda would design an adapter as an OEM special tool for its dealer to use. The factory service manual would also mention this ATF flush method for its SlyActiv-Drive transmission. We see none of these happens.

I love stories about state of the art equipment. Service advisors are the best at telling them, without a bit of knowledge on the subject. Unfortunately, many customers have to take that as a professional explanation.
(evil)

BTW, how is your ATF flush adapter project going?

They are paid to sell that script.. state of the art = retrofit vacuum cleaner

BTW, how is your ATF flush adapter project going?

I've made it, there's a thread with pictures. I intend to do the fluid exchange sometime in June.

Interesting, thank you.

Having done the drain and fills myself, I'm not entirely sure how to do a flush even if I got the adapter. Do you have to use some kind of machine?
No, no machine is necessary, but the one that supplies constant measured flow of the new ATF would be beneficial. As long as it supplies the same amount of fluid that is being expelled.

It seems that Mazda has specifically asked dealers not to touch ATF fluid around 60K miles or less - probably due to liability issues. I think Lifetime fluid is just another way of saying "We think not changing it will last 200K miles" - which is a target for most manufacturers. I am still torn on doing ATF change - $300 to change it twice within 1000 miles - when I will be selling it at 120-150K miles. Maybe worth it but most 2nd hand buyers wont appreciate that.

Back