What features do you miss from the car you traded for the CX5?

I had BMW 3 series before and I do not miss any thing. CX5 is a much better car in all respect, more comfortable, better acceleration, quieter, consumes less petrol and has 4 wheel drive. The steering is on par with BMW. Stability on sharp curve was slightly better with BMW but it was a lower car than cx5. I hope it is far more reliable than BMW. Time will tell.

Speaking of BMW, I miss the red illuminated lights at night.

Interesting in that you dont miss anything from the RDX. I recently traded-in a 2013 RDX and so far I kinda miss the following features.

The more pleasant V6 sound when hard accelerating.
Top down rear camera view. Great view for tight parallel parking.
Auto tilt-down mirrors. Handy at preventing alloy rim curb rash. Although after positioning the CX-5 mirrors this is now a non issue.
Front covered phone storage with USB plug.
Larger centre console bin and arm rest.
Better position for the cup holders.
Getting a car loaner when servicing vehicle

Overall though I agree with you that the CX-5 is a class above RDX Gen 2. Hopefully that also includes long term reliably because the RDX was very reliable in the time period of ownership.

Those are all of the things that I miss from my TLX as well. Now I'll add a few more. I've had Hondas from the 90's that had power retention when the ignition is turned off of 5 minutes. This was for windows and sunroof. What is it with Mazda and this 40 second thing for the windows and the sunroof not even included? I also miss the TPMS giving a dash reading for the pressure in each individual tire. In all honesty, after owning the CX5 for about about a year, I love the way that it drives. I can't say much else outside of that.

We traded in our 2014 Mazda3s GT on the 19 CX-5 Signature. I miss the paddle shifters, but that*s about it.

Last edited:
Interesting in that you dont miss anything from the RDX. I recently traded-in a 2013 RDX and so far I kinda miss the following features.
The more pleasant V6 sound when hard accelerating.
Top down rear camera view. Great view for tight parallel parking.
Auto tilt-down mirrors. Handy at preventing alloy rim curb rash. Although after positioning the CX-5 mirrors this is now a non issue.
Front covered phone storage with USB plug.
Larger centre console bin and arm rest.
Better position for the cup holders.
Getting a car loaner when servicing vehicle

I came from a 2012 BMW Z4. It had auto-tilt mirrors, which I miss but I'm getting used to the 360 view on my Signature. I also miss the traffic report feature of the Nav system which allowed you to get the report while moving (Sirius Traffic Plus is disabled on the Mazda when moving).

I negotiated 3-yr maintenance as part of my CX-5 Purchase which includes loaner cars during service. While I owned the BMW I got quite a few loaners, usually X1 or X3 and occasionally a 3-Series. I'd put the 2019 Signature in the same class as any of those and feel that it is more pleasant to drive than the low-end BMWs.

2000 Acura 3.2 TL,

Armrests I could comfortably rest my elbows on while driving. Always ready to accelerate enough to perform an immediate and predictable turn into traffic. Better center console storage. Better DIY info and parts availability online. More comfortable AC (I get more complaints from my wife in the Mazda spite of dueling climate zones). I could retrieve things dropped between the seat and center console. I wasn't as worried about the paint. Didn't lose the time of day when I'm backing up or waiting for the infotainment to boot (often when I get in the car I start it, put it in reverse, then look to see what time it is).

My 2011 3 was pretty bare bones, so it had nothing that the 2019 CX-5 doesn't have (other than a trunk).

I miss having the power to the windows/sunroof staying on for a bit after the car is shut off. Virtually EVERY car/truck that I have ever owned had this feature. Not Mazda though. Why?

2000 Acura 3.2 TL,

Better DIY info and parts availability online.
Yep. A thick factory service manual was included with the new Acura back in the old days!

Even owner's manual by Honda has plenty of very detailed DIY info and accurate fluid capacities which offer valuable info such as the EXACT ATF volume for ATF drain-and-fill!

I miss having the power to the windows/sunroof staying on for a bit after the car is shut off. Virtually EVERY car/truck that I have ever owned had this feature. Not Mazda though. Why?
Miss that too

I'm pretty sure windows remain operable until the door is opened on my 2018 GT. Don't know about the sunroof, never use it.

The driver's window ONLY stays operational for about 10 seconds after the car is shut down, at least that's how my 2016.5 behaves.

Cooled seats the most. Outside of those... power remaining on for enough time after shut off to shut the windows and sun roof, auto tilt mirrors, heated mirrors, phone storage (less important now with AA/ACP installed, I cannot figure out a way to dim the interior lights... drives me nuts, full size spare, air bags on the rear for when i load it down at Home Depot, good place to keep the pistol when i dont want it on me, laptop plug up front....

Think thats really it. I love the fuel economy and ride, so if anything; I will be looking into replacing the seat covers to add cooled seats in the future. If i keep this.

The not needing to get gas thing with our old i3...
20180622-074520.jpg

A button to easily turn off the infotainment screen.

E brake lever!!!
Remote start (well you can have one, but with a hefty price)
Regular size fog lamps (not the tiny led pin type)
Customizable 2 din/1 din configuration
Stick shift (available on mid to high trim level)

Being able to open the door on the keyless entry system by just grabbing the door and pulling it open (versus having to press the button or the key on the remote).

My '09 Mazda6 had this, and I just cannot believe that it didn't port over once they dumped Ford.

My '19 Signature is amazing in every way, but this one detail just seems so silly.

Back