Is Mazda's upcoming CX-30 on your shopping list?

Ive bought 3 CX-5s already and would guess that the CX-30 will get some options and new tech that the CX-5 wont get till the next update.

Definitely considering it.

The mounting issues on new Mazda 3's is giving me pause from being a 1st year new model buyer (multiple recalls already). Think I'll be waiting till the CX-30 is in a second year of production before seriously considering it.

The mounting issues on new Mazda 3's is giving me pause from being a 1st year new model buyer (multiple recalls already). Think I'll be waiting till the CX-30 is in a second year of production before seriously considering it.
Interesting that you mention not buying first year model runs. I bought a '17 CX-5, the first year model of second generation. I've had it over 2 years and I've had zero issues with it and no recalls. Although, Mazda added cylinder deactivation tech to the '18 and '19 models which is being recalled due to a glitch in programming. The system is essentially letting internal engine parts to impact each other, stalling the engine and not allowing a restart.

My lease on my "other" car runs out in a few months.

Considering Mazda-3 or CX-30. It will depend on 3 variables, compared to the others on my short-list.

1) Total Cost of Lease (Money @ Signing + Total of monthly payments + Disposition Fee)
2) Gas Mileage (compared to others on my short list)
3) Feeling during Test-Drive.

I haven't seen any definitive numbers on American Gas MPG??

Just replaced my '14 cx-5gt with almost the exact same thing just newer low mi cpo in black bc they killed off my fav liquid silver:( So one could safely assume I wanted more of the same..but I kinda wanted something a bit (not CX-3 or Kona small) but smaller, lighter and a bit more agile but the '14 was saying it was time so more of the same is what I decided on. While I appreciate the added sound isolation and few nicer bits (other than the metal trim that reflects like a b!tch onto side mirrors) that the late gen1s received I think the 30 is probably tops on my list for its replacement- ahead of the GTR probably. I want to be a little lower and little more agile than current and while more power would be nice(though gen2 seats are a hard(soft) fail imo and part of why I stuck w/gen1)- less weight is all that 2.5NA needs to shine and hoping the 30 will do those things. Also, if it does grace my driveway its so getting rebadged, not debadged: CX-3000GT - that's funny and a selling point for me as I was thinking how dumb the naming of it is..and yes I know why but its still dumb and then it came to me- CX-3000GT is where its at if I can't have a CX-4..take that China!

Last edited:
I am intrigued by the CX-30 although all the plastic cladding is a negative for me. I currently drive a 2010 3 Hatchback 6 speed with 73k miles on it. I love this car and not looking to trade up for a few more years (I hope!). It's been very reliable and I love driving it. I thought I might want to go with a CX-5 next time but after driving one while mine was in for repairs I decided it was not for me. I don't like the huge C-pillar on the new 3's, the visibility is horrible. Also I read they are changing the independent rear suspension to a torsion beam set up on the 2020 3's and the CX-30 will have the same underpinnings as the 3. I believe this will significantly impact the handling of the car. Big disappointment!

Just took my 16 in for its first service, got a loaded non-turbo 19 CX-5 loaner and I'm 99.9% sure that won't be my next car and a turbo doesn't address my main issues with it which are the seats and the steering. In pics the 30s seats look more aggressive so quite hopeful there and the fact that this model wasn't designed for our market so hope the heavier steering and tauter suspension make a comeback also.. To previous post I was disappointed as you are about the loss of the independent rear but I don't think it will ruin the car- Mazda seems to know how to engineer and implement better than most..so we'll see. The cladding is excessive and a bit cheese but if they get the important parts right I can overlook the looks.

I was out test driving the CX-30 Skyactiv-G (122hp) with auto transmission a few days ago.
The engine is a bit sluggish compared to my current CX-30 (with 120hp and auto transmission) but it was driving fine.
The car it self is miles ahead of the CX-3.
The interior is extremely nice and quiet, the seats are excellent and it's well build, so a very premium feel.
It was very easy to find a good driving position (it had electric seats). Every control is basically like in previous models, so everything worked as I'm used to.
The infotainment system is a huge improvement, quicker, better resolution and the menus are a bit different but not much (mostly they are vertical now instead of hoizontal).

Overall an excellent car and I'm very hooked on changing my CX-3 for CX-30 but I would go for the Skyactiv-X, even though it's a bit more expensive (though here in Denmark we get the fully adaptive LED headlights with the Sky-X, so that helps with the higher price a bit).

And it looks better irl than in pictures.

Never like the torsion bean rear suspension in my old Prius.
Will need a testdrive to be sure....

Last weekend I stopped by one of the DFW area Mazda dealers to see if there was a CX-30 sitting around. They were in the process of prepping some that had been recently delivered. I was, honestly, a little disappointed. It kind of struck me as a revamped Dodge Caliber... Maybe it will grow on me...

2i4LUCW

2i4MVXy

Attachments

• CX30a.jpg
    CX30a.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 290
Last weekend I stopped by one of the DFW area Mazda dealers to see if there was a CX-30 sitting around. They were in the process of prepping some that had been recently delivered. I was, honestly, a little disappointed. It kind of struck me as a revamped Dodge Caliber... Maybe it will grow on me...

49269469086_41df3df167_4k.jpg

49269668642_a7d4b1432d_4k.jpg

My lease on my "other" car runs out in a few months.

Considering Mazda-3 or CX-30. It will depend on 3 variables, compared to the others on my short-list.

1) Total Cost of Lease (Money @ Signing + Total of monthly payments + Disposition Fee)
2) Gas Mileage (compared to others on my short list)
3) Feeling during Test-Drive.

I haven't seen any definitive numbers on American Gas MPG??

so did you end up testing the new CX-30 to replace your other car?

If something were to happen to my 2013 CX-5 the CX-30 would be at the top of my list. There is however, something to be said for not having car payments. The CX-5 has been a very reliable car with routine maintenance. At 147K miles now.

Sat in one this week. Back seat space is awful and interior quality is deceiving. The simplistic design looks cheap, IMO. Also, parts of the interior are blue? Not sure why.

If Mazda wanted a Crosstrek killer, this won’t work. They didn’t learn from the CX-3. This thing is too small.

Interesting to see such varying opinions on the CX-30...I personally like it a lot and I hope it's a hit for Mazda but I can understand it all depends on what people are used to, looking for...What their expectations are etc...Also marketplace and region...It would be great to see Mazda have another hit like the CX-5 in North America.

Interesting to see such varying opinions on the CX-30...I personally like it a lot and I hope it's a hit for Mazda but I can understand it all depends on what people are used to, looking for...What their expectations are etc...Also marketplace and region...It would be great to see Mazda have another hit like the CX-5 in North America.

Im hoping for a hit too. Would really like to see this brand take off. I just think it’s a miss, mainly because it’s cramped in the rear. Honestly, I don’t think the interior is all that great either.

Sat in one this week. Back seat space is awful and interior quality is deceiving. The simplistic design looks cheap, IMO. Also, parts of the interior are blue? Not sure why.

If Mazda wanted a Crosstrek killer, this won’t work. They didn’t learn from the CX-3. This thing is too small.

I have a CX3 and compared the interior space...the CX30 is only larger by 3cm in the rear legroom! Yes ext length is longer by 5” and wheelbase longer with slightly larger cargo area but at end of the day what matters will be the space inside which most people complained abt on the CX3 so not really a significant increase in space...

So I saw my first CX30 out in the open the other day.. Its a good looking car/suv out on the road. I still don't like the wheel well clading. Got to see it from a distance. I sat in one at the dealer and I like it. Like the interior. Now for a test dirve..
The American TV automotive show "Autoweek" did a quick review on the CX30 and liked it. I'll be waiting for their review as they are usually spot on with likes and dislikes... YMMV..
mitch

Mazda is releasing an appearance package for the CX-30.. Source

mazda-cx-30-appearance-package-02.jpg

mazda-cx-30-appearance-package-06.jpg

Looks more attractive to me, but defeats the purpose of what I thought the cladding was meant to convey (more ground clearance and ruggedness). The package has only been announced for Japan so far, and is priced at $3,147 USD after conversion.

Back