Is Mazda's upcoming CX-30 on your shopping list?

I think in here Europe, the CX-30 will target the Nissan Quashqai, Opel Grandland, Renault Kadjar and the like.
The X1, GLA and Q3 are in a different segment and a bit more expensive and more on price with the CX-5.

While I agree with you that the CX-5 (Signature & GTR) is in the conversation with X1, GLA and Q3, I think that the
Q3 hatchback would compete with a turbo CX-30 or possibly Skyactive-X engine. Without those 2 options (in the states at least) I think that
Mazda is missing out.

Is this size in between a cx3 and a cx5? Also is it being released in USA? Seems like a weird niche.

I would be very interested in a smaller cx-5. If Mazda does not offer a manual transmission, I will not consider it. Another thing I would like is it offered in flat white paint. Not really into the mica sparkle. Most all other companies have white paint. I see new BMW with white paint, not sure why Mazda won't do this.

Consumer reports says it will be offered with manual trans and 2.0 engine, But not so sure they will have the 2.0 ( which I would prefer over the 2.5).

On the cx-5 I also like the way Mazda monitors the tire pressure on my CX-5 without the sensors on the wheel. So I hope Mazda is listening.

Edit.
No longer on my shopping list. Cant get it in a manual transmission or an 2.0.

Last edited:
I need a new daily work driver and I've been putting it off for a couple years. Right now I have an '06 Mazda 3 GTS that's been relatively trouble free. (I also have a 2000 Millenia that only has about 75,000 miles - until a few months ago I'd only spent $25 in repairs - now that total is still less than $1,000.) I kept waiting for the diesel CX-5 but have decided it's never going to happen even though it's still on the Mazda website. I've found the CX-3 much better looking than the CX-5 but it's way too small for my taste - I test drove one about a year ago. I had never heard of the CX-30 until a few days ago when I saw this forum. The CX-30 is now on the Mazda website along side the diesel CX-5. From everything I've now been able to read and see, I'm interested in the CX30. I think it looks nice, cladding and all. I think it's even better looking than the CX-3. I've been tempted to defect from Mazda and came within a nat's breath of buying a Jeep Grand Cherokee Upland a few months ago - I had the deal made but after sleeping on it I didn't want to spend the money. I'm actually more tired of the 3 than it being worn out - it's 13 years old with about 132,000 miles. Now I have a new goal post for a different vehicle - when the CX-30 comes out. I just wish it would be available in the Ceramic Metallic like the CX-3 and Miata... (I'm not going to hold my breathe on that...)

I need a new daily work driver and I've been putting it off for a couple years.

although we own 2 mazdas in the household cx-3 and cx-5, i hear that mazda is releasing their hybrid cars end of year.
If good, which i think it will, i will probably add another mazda to the stable.

Going back to the cladding, I am just happy that Mazda didn't follow Hyundai regarding the Kona. I like the Kona's lines but they killed it by wrapping the black plastic around the head and taillights. It makes the car look cheap.

I see a date of 2020 so not a contender for us this year.

Going back to the cladding, I am just happy that Mazda didn't follow Hyundai regarding the Kona. I like the Kona's lines but they killed it by wrapping the black plastic around the head and taillights. It makes the car look cheap.

I see a date of 2020 so not a contender for us this year.

Ill definitely check one out, Im hoping to get my PT job this summer at the local Mazda dealer so maybe I can get up close and personal with one..."

This has the potential to be a winner, though not sure about overlap between the new 3 hatch with AWD and the CX-30. Seem like potentially very similar in size and function. I do like the look of the CX-30 over the new 3 hatch. I am in the camp that doesn't like the cladding though. We'll see what the engine choices are here in the US. I am not holding my breath that we will see AWD with a manual trans. Didn't happen with the new 3 so not likely here.

Recently got a 2019 CX3 and happy with it so far as a daily commuting car aside from our CX-9...while it is a 3yr old model it still looks ok and a fun zippy and nimble car to drive. While I really like the interior design of the upcoming CX-30 (same int as the new 2019 3 which btw I have cross-shopped and tested extensively) I do not like the CX-30s prominent plastic cladding. I may consider it once our lease is up on the CX3 but that is in 3yrs time...

Last edited:
Aloha from Hawaii! It's been ages since I wrote, but my Protege recently turned 18 and my 2011 Mazda2 is my daily driver and is 8 years old. I will be considering the CX-30 since the CX3 is off my Mazda2 and I've noticed the tight room all around when I looked at it at the car show. IMO the Mazda CX30 would fit my needs, but only if a nicely equipped one doesn't come close price wise to a CX5. Otherwise one would think to go with the CX-5, but here in traffic filled Hawaii the CX30 would be a good size.

Yes CX30 is on my list, the CX3 is a bit too small and doesnt offer the new Mazda tech features found on even a mid trim CX5....and its similarly priced, just not the bang for the buck for me.
CX30 will have alot of tech that I desire standard hopefully.

My fiances 2018 CX5 Touring spoiled me during our 2000 mile drive last vacation, its tough going back to regular cruise control/no blind spot/no lane keep assist etc. Ill be trading in a Jeep Renegade which has treated me fine but lacks things that make highway trips less wearing.

Size-wise is the CX-30 right in the middle between a CX-3 and CX-5 ?

Yes, they simply couldn't call it a CX-4 has that model already exists in some markets. The CX-3 is essentially a mazda2 with an every so slight ride height and not worth it (it should't be called an suv). I am wondering if the cx-30 is more based on the mazda3 so expect prices to start at around 22K

Definitely, yes. I drive a CX-5 and my wife has a Mazda3 sedan. When we're ready to replace the 3, the CX-30 will be in contention.

I am definitely considering this. I currently have a 2014 Mazda 3 SGT Hatchback with 70k miles. No issues at all but I am looking to upgrade to all the new safety features next year and still get a decent trade-in on my car. Don't really like the styling of the new hatchback and definitely need more room than the CX-3. I did drive a CX-5 recently, but honestly, it is a little too big for me. I like the hatchback size and styling. I think the CX-30 could really fit the bill for me. Also cross shopping the Hundai Kona Ultimate, but I don't think the interior is as nice, although the price point is likely a couple thousand less than what a similarly equipped CX-30 will be. I'm anxious to find out the specs on this. Hoping it will be at our car show here in Charlotte NC in November of 2019.

"Is the CX-30 on my shopping list?"

The answer is a big "negative Ghost Rider..."

Our CX-5 is fine, although lately it has felt "limited" or "cramped" on a recent road trip. I guess that is because we brought more than ust luggage (for 3) with us. It doesn't do bad, but I miss the space of our '04 Pathfinder, while not leaps and bounds more, but for some reason, the PF seemed to swallow a bit more than the CX-5...maybe its the sloped rear glass

Instead of the CX-30, I would much rather have a frikken Mazda6 wagon available in the States. Why Mazda, why...or why not Mazda, why not?

I want a '6 wagon with three pedals; you know, something to actually drive. Mazda has a great race history and promotes a 'zoom zoom' lifestyle with slogans telling me the car is more than the sum of its parts, so why can't the States have a '6 wagon? Does the "more than the sum of its parts only apply to the MX-5 because it is a small 2-seat roadster?)

I love the look/proportions of the CX-9, but I don't need a 7 passenger car, nor do I want an auto so the CX-9 loses on two checklist items.

So, back to the CX-30. I may have missed most of the promotional hooply on it, but I'm not understanding the purpose of the vehicle. I agree with most that the current CX-3 is way too small for anything and when it comes in smaller than the Mazda3, it makes very little sense.

In fact, if Mazda just did the "Subaru Crosstrek" or "VW Mk2 Golf Country" treatment to the Mazda3, minus the black cladding, I believe they would have a winner. People crave lifestyle vehicles, and I think Mazda is missing the mark in their car department.

I guess you missed the memo that Mazda doesn't care about Zoom Zoom anymore. 3 pedals would be nice, but good luck getting it. Where's the Speed line, where's the manuals?

As for them missing the mark with the CX-30, couldn't agree more...

I think you've missed the main point with the CX-30.
It's not designed specifially for the US market but more for the European and Japanese markets, where it slides in quite nicely between the CX-3 and the CX-5.

And if it follows the options from the new 3, we'll get every engine with either manual or automatic transmission (even the new 180hp Skyactiv-X).
So put pressure on Mazda US, as it's most likely them who decides what to sell in the US.

I'm pretty sure the CX_30 will sell in large numbers in Europe and Japan.

Back