Fake license plate from the dealer?

:
Miata and CX-5
This afternoon, while completing the paperwork for the CX-5 I was purchasing, the dealership's finance employee printed some fake license plates (which the salesperson installed on the car prior to me driving home).I asked the finance lady about it and she replied"it's the new law to prevent people from avoiding bridge tolls".
Is this a common thing now, fake license plate numbers replacing the old dealer-name (until the real license plate from the DMV is received) ?

This afternoon, while completing the paperwork for the CX-5 I was purchasing, the dealership's finance employee printed some fake license plates (which the salesperson installed on the car prior to me driving home).I asked the finance lady about it and she replied"it's the new law to prevent people from avoiding bridge tolls".
Is this a common thing now, fake license plate numbers replacing the old dealer-name (until the real license plate from the DMV is received) ?

Yup, it's the law in CA as of 1/1/19. Not fake plates, just temporary until the DMV assigns and sends you permanent ones. Lots of folks used to keep dealer paper plates to avoid tolls and other fees/fines.

Is this different from the temporary paper tags that are issued in every state that I've lived in? They always have had expiration dates.
And what was "the old dealer-name", just a paper tag with the name and no dates?

CA was a bit different.,My understanding is you could have driven without plates basically. On newly purchased cars till you get your permanent plates from DMV.

Now they are like most other states giving 'paper' printout temp plates until you get permanent plates.
Makes it easy to identify your car, while before you could have driven into as many cameras you want :)

Is this different from the temporary paper tags that are issued in every state that I've lived in? They always have had expiration dates.
And what was "the old dealer-name", just a paper tag with the name and no dates?

Yes, previously here in California , within the license plate frames was paper/cardboard which essentially was advertising for the dealership.

OP should rename the Thread "Temporary license plates from Dealership?"
Using "fake" kinda seems misleading, but a good way to grab attention...haha

I was wondering about these new plates myself.
So now I know, thanks.
I know people, that are driving with that dealer paper plates for months, since they have purchased their new car. One of them is a cop(!).

Now they are like most other states giving 'paper' printout temp plates until you get permanent plates.
Makes it easy to identify your car, while before you could have driven into as many cameras you want :)

Not so in Minnesota. Just a temporary piece of yellow paper taped to the rear window.

In PA we get our permanent plates before the car leaves the dealer. I sold my 3 privately and brought the plates along to pick up my CX-5. They already had new plates on the car. They do put a paper on the back window to show the registration fee was paid.

Yup, it's the law in CA as of 1/1/19. Not fake plates, just temporary until the DMV assigns and sends you permanent ones. Lots of folks used to keep dealer paper plates to avoid tolls and other fees/fines.

WOW.. California is Jonesing for every single toll penny.. They cant go the 45-60 days without taxing you somehow.

(headshake(headshake

WOW.. California is Jonesing for every single toll penny.. They cant go the 45-60 days without taxing you somehow.

(headshake(headshake

The reality is that many folks were keeping anonymous paper plates on their vehicles MUCH longer than 45-60 days. It's like fare evaders on public transit. Personally, I'm all for cracking down on scofflaws!

Got temporary / "fake" paper license plate (with VIN and expiration date) on my newly purchased 2018 Toyota Yaris iA / Mazda2 in the Bay Area. I didn't think anything special at the time as it looked like those temporary paper plate in Texas which has been using for many years on newly purchased vehicle. Once got permanent license plate yesterday it caught me by surprise that the registration sticker is still on the plate. Most states has moved the registration sticker to inside of the windshield as the plate is too easy to get stolen with current registration sticker. Iowa had done that in late 70's and Texas had done that in 80's. And everything-supposedly-at-the-leading-edge-in-the-USA California still has registration sticker on the license plate? Especially consider how expensive the registration fee is (~$300 annually in California vs. $55~$75 annually in Texas)!

Last edited:
PA did away with the plate sticker a few years ago. Now it's just the yearly registration card you carry on you or with the vehicle.

FL still has temporary paper tags, but many dealers are authorized to issue real tags right there on the lot. $250 fee for new wheels on the road brand new tag, so Ive always brought a tag to transfer to the new vehicle I was purchasing. I dont plan on ever getting a third car so hopefully I dont ever have to pay that outrageous one time fee again.

Only issue is what my dad ran into. When he bought a Jeep, he brought a tag to transfer and told the dealership. The dealership screwed up though when finalizing everything. They gave his car a brand new tag and forgot to transfer the old one. Wham: $250 extra that was absolutely unnecessary 🙄

Back