2013~2016 Buying advice

pinoyxr

I'm looking into buying a used CX-5 sport. I test drove one a few years back and am aware of the relative lack of power of the 2.0 compared to the 2.5 but I have to have a manual. I'm looking at a 2015 with less than 40k. I would appreciate if everyone could share their experiences with their cars. Any potential wear and tear items that would make me avoid the car? Any issues with engine, tranny, infotainment, interior trim, suspension, etc? Thanks in advance.

Pretty reliable car. No gotchas with that year and trim. That's good mileage.
Definitely a contender.

I was lucky enough to find a 2014 with 38k miles on it back in October that I quickly snatched up. It's a 2.0L manual, which is what I set out to find. If you don't buy it expecting to win races with it, the 2.0L is totally fine. 1st and 2nd are short enough where it can hustle out into moving traffic plenty well. I've been enjoying a very consistent 32-34mpg with 50/50 highway and back roads driving. The 2.0L, while a bit underpowered, is rev-happy and smooth right to red line. I've seen better gas mileage cruising in the 3000rpm range than 2000-2500rpm, so it seems that it likes to rev.

So far I've only had two minor issues with it. I had a rattle in the back that I found out was common: https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123834864-Loose-CX-5-Spoiler-Inserts . I went in and put threadlocker on the nuts and she's nice and quiet now. The other issue is that the stock CD player no longer ejects discs. Sort of strange since I've never had a radio fail on me, nor have I heard others having this problem. I'll be fitting a navigation system in soon, so this isn't so much of a concern.

I'm liking this thing a lot so far!

I'm looking into buying a used CX-5 sport. I test drove one a few years back and am aware of the relative lack of power of the 2.0 compared to the 2.5 but I have to have a manual. I'm looking at a 2015 with less than 40k. I would appreciate if everyone could share their experiences with their cars. Any potential wear and tear items that would make me avoid the car? Any issues with engine, tranny, infotainment, interior trim, suspension, etc? Thanks in advance.

Why does it HAVE to be a manual? (drive2)

I used to be that way also... However the Skyactiv Automatic is made for people like us who hate automatics.

The transmission is locked up, and there is no mushiness or slushiness, and you can put it in MANUAL mode, and shift manually if you want.

You can put it in SPORT MODE if you want, and also you can even add PADDLE shifters like I did for really easy upshifting and downshifting.

Just be sure not to automatically rule out the automatic. You cannot beat the fuel economy of the 2.0 engine though...

Your comments about the Skyactiv automatic are absolutely true. Later model Hyundai/Kia automatics are equally as good in my opinion.

I equate preferring manual to preferring a certain type of music. There are types of music that I don't like and will probably never like. Other people out there absolutely love those same types of music for reasons that I'll never understand. I'll give them an opportunity to explain why, and I'll even take the time to listen to some of it, and I'll still think they're crazy. It's human nature.

Without going on a huge rant, preference for a manual is either understood or it isn't, and either way is fine. For me personally, if an automatic could add 50hp to any car, shave thousands off of the purchase price of the car, shift exactly the way I like every time, wash and wax the car every day for me, make all FM radio commercials go away, and include a voice-activated feature that would dispense perfectly-cooked strips of bacon from the center HVAC vents, I'd still prefer a manual.

When somebody says it HAS to be a manual, that's because it HAS to be a manual.

Last edited:
Your comments about the Skyactiv automatic are absolutely true. Later model Hyundai/Kia automatics are equally as good in my opinion.

I equate preferring manual to preferring a certain type of music. There are types of music that I don't like and will probably never like. Other people out there absolutely love those same types of music for reasons that I'll never understand. I'll give them an opportunity to explain why, and I'll even take the time to listen to some of it, and I'll still think they're crazy. It's human nature.

Without going on a huge rant, preference for a manual is either understood or it isn't, and either way is fine. For me personally, if an automatic could add 50hp to any car, shave thousands off of the purchase price of the car, shift exactly the way I like every time, wash and wax the car every day for me, make all FM radio commercials go away, and include a voice-activated feature that would dispense perfectly-cooked strips of bacon from the center HVAC vents, I'd still prefer a manual.

When somebody says it HAS to be a manual, that's because it HAS to be a manual.

LOL! Yes, I understand completely. Like I said, I used to be that way also. However, now that my medical issues force me to drive an automatic car, the Mazda Skyactiv is the LEAST OFFENSIVE automatic I have driven.

Oh they are great, no question. They shift nice and firm, and more importantly, they don't try to shove themselves into the highest gear possible at all times. Crawling 4mph through a crowded parking lot trying to find a spot does not require freaking overdrive. Leave it in 1st! Also, the fact that Mazda put so much time into making a efficient, truly excellent automatic instead of resorting to using a soul-sucking CVT to increase gas mileage speaks volumes. Sure, they're a car company, and as the old saying goes, car companies only strive to make one thing and it's not cars. But man, I am so sold on the effort Mazda puts into the FEEL of their cars.

Did your 2014 Mazda3 have the Skyactiv manual? I still can't believe how good that transmission is. With the weight of each shift and the amazing feedback, I could have sworn that it was some clever rod-shifted setup like the good ol' days. I couldn't believe that a cable-shifted car could be that good. I've done a lot of work on the shifter in my 2007 and it's still nowhere near as good as the bone-stock setup in the CX-5.

Yes my 2014 3 was a manual. I agree that was one of the best Transmissions I had felt since the first gen Miatas.

Thanks to all who responded. I certainly appreciate your thoughts on the 6AT as well. Needless to say, it's not the first time I get asked, "but why get a manual?" I also appreciate @jonnymopar for his explanation of this choice. If I may share an old post from a thread at SubaruForester.org that was widely complimented regarding my choice to drive the FB25 6MT versus the FA20 (turbo with CVT).

Nowadays, I can't think of anything rational about driving a manual. Manuals are not practical for driving in traffic. In performance cars, no human could shift faster than a nice dual clutch auto. They're not even the most economical anymore because of CVT's. So, choosing to drive with a stick (or column) with 3-pedals is an irrational, emotional choice. That's why I have a 6MT 2.5i Premium.

I will continue my research but the 6MT CX-5 Sport's prospects just got better for me.

Well, so far, everyone that has posted in this thread "gets it" regarding the manual. (2thumbs) I appreciated your Subaru post. You explained like I always do. It always boils down to "I'll list off all the reasons that it's the wrong decision and nothing will change it for me."

As said before, as long as you set your expectations accordingly, the 2.0L is great. For me, the fact that it's underpowered is more than compensated by the fact that it's still fun to drive, it's still a manual, it's surprisingly economical (so economical that it got me a lower interest rate on my loan), it's (subjectively) the best-looking small SUV out there, it's comfortable, it's simple, and my 4 year old son and my 8 week old daughter are safe in it. A lot of research went into which car was going to bring my newborn daughter home from the hospital. So far I haven't questioned my decision in the least.

Back