Replacement Liftgate Support Strut?

:
USA
:
2023 CX-50 PPT
Anyone have recommendations for an aftermarket replacement piston for the cargo door on a 2016 CX-5?

I had a Mazda TS or recall done on my car a couple of years ago, which replaced the original support pistons for whatever the specific reason was (I think sudden failure). Within the last 6 months, I noticed that the newer struts would squeak when opening or closing, and that noise got progressively worse and is driving me batty. It can be loud at times--people turning around to look at you loud. (eek2) Dabbing some grease on the shaft :D stops the noise for a relatively short time, but it always comes back eventually. The strength of the pistons also seems to be reduced.

Checked with my dealer on my last service and was told that the combined weight of my mods which added chrome (plastic) panels on the outer upper door "wings", two small LED light panels in the lower inner door, and a rear tiny dashcam is causing this issue.

Color me skeptical as the additional weight seems minimal, but I guess the balance of total door weight vs piston strength could have been upset. So, maybe a slightly upgraded piston would be best, plus I think I want to avoid just replacing with OEM again anyway due to the squeak factor. Of course I'd want to avoid a piston that's too heavy duty and that will fling my door open or then make it too difficult to close.

The noise problem from liftgate struts is caused by some added accessories on your liftgate? Ridiculous!

I simply believe the OEM liftgate struts, even though Mazda has redesigned them due to a safety recall, are not up to good quality standard hence failed early. My replacement hasnt been making any noise yet, but I can feel the lifting power is getting weaker and weaker only a year of rare usage! I saw a couple of members here having similar problem use Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly to quiet down the lifters and seems to have a good result. But this wont fix the weaker lifting problem. You may try those aftermarket lifters on Amazon such as the one from Lift Supports Depot which uses High Quality European Lift Supports. The reviews seem to be good. And the lifetime warranty is nice too.

Yeah I don't like the new liftgate struts myself. Liftgate doesn't open as far and agree they are weaker.

Yeah I don't like the new liftgate struts myself. Liftgate doesn't open as far and agree they are weaker.
Ha I forgot the revised struts are shorter too. Luckily I'm not that tall to bump my head to the liftgate.

My concern is they're getting weaker too soon. I actually complained to service advisor that the replacement struts were too strong at the time they put them on for the recall. Now they feel weaker than a year ago.

You might want to lube the ball joints at the end of the lift cylinders and the hinges for the hatch.Maybe the door and hood hinges and the locks and latches could use some lube also.I have yet to have these done when having my car in for servicing at Mazda dealer so I do it about once a year. Jmaz

^ +1

Avoided the recall as mine are in perfect condition and look new even though I live in a high-salt state!

I appreciate everyone's input, so thank you.

Yes, my original struts were fine but went ahead with the recall hoping that they knew something I did not. Indeed, originally, the replacement struts were much stronger than the originals and the door would almost fly open, but that quickly stopped after 6-8 months or so.

I didn't mention that the overall performance has dropped and the cargo door doesn't open quite as far on its own, but those who noted that are correct. Relatively short here, so not a huge issue in general, but annoying when there's a load of crap in my hands and I have to push the door up higher.

I'll try looking for the lifts on Amazon that yrwei52 suggested....thought there was some magic to making sure they had the right weight ratings, but as usual I was overthinking things.

Ha I forgot the revised struts are shorter too. Luckily I'm not that tall to bump my head to the liftgate.

My concern is they're getting weaker too soon. I actually complained to service advisor that the replacement struts were too strong at the time they put them on for the recall. Now they feel weaker than a year ago.

Hmm didn't notice this. Got the new struts via recall myself.

I had mine replaced at the dealer a few months ago. I did not want to replace them, but they kept on sending letters. I do not see any difference in them. Hatch seems to open to same hight. Maybe they not have longer ones, or maybe they just did an inspection on mine.

The noise problem from liftgate struts is caused by some added accessories on your liftgate? Ridiculous!

I simply believe the OEM liftgate struts, even though Mazda has redesigned them due to a safety recall, are not up to good quality standard hence failed early. My replacement hasnt been making any noise yet, but I can feel the lifting power is getting weaker and weaker only a year of rare usage! I saw a couple of members here having similar problem use Vaseline Pure Petroleum Jelly to quiet down the lifters and seems to have a good result. But this wont fix the weaker lifting problem. You may try those aftermarket lifters on Amazon such as the one from Lift Supports Depot which uses High Quality European Lift Supports. The reviews seem to be good. And the lifetime warranty is nice too.
Has anyone used the liftsupportsdepot struts?

Are they good?

Noticed liftsupports on amazon are made in turkey.

Are there any other good brands for the cx5?

Trying to get a little more height to the liftgate.
Anyone have any preference?

Latest posts

Back