Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GT-R oil overfilled

Gen-1 Kodo Design 👌 ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by RobB48 View Post
    Must admit that I did not check the oil after purchasing my CX-5 Signature. With about 1,200 km I now did the 5 minutes specified check and it's about 1/4" above the full mark. Quite surprised because usually factory fills are right on. Wonder why it's not?

Now with service departments overfill is to be expected. It does not matter what make of cars, I always have to specify to not overfill the oil every time I get an oil change and most of the time they do it anyways to various degrees.
    Eh...reports of factory underfilled ATF (can confirm that one), and rear diff oil. Would not say they are spot on at the factory personally. At least as far as the CX-5 is concerned.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 83k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Signature

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Eh...reports of factory underfilled ATF (can confirm that one), and rear diff oil. Would not say they are spot on at the factory personally. At least as far as the CX-5 is concerned.
    Based on my recollection of vehicles from the past few years (Acura's). Further, my memory is not what it used to be.

My God this thread is still rolling? [emoji16]

Registered Member

2018 CX-5 Sport AWD

For the first time in 35 years I paid someone else to change my oil. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change and they over-filled it, but not by much. This dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. My guess is they put 5 quarts in it. The manual states 4.5 liters or 4.8 quarts. I will do my next oil change and measure out 4.5 liters. We'll see how that works out.

Registered Member

cx5 gt +pp 2018

btw, the US cx5 takes 5 us quarts and is not enough. sits in the middle of the oil stick.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    I just checked the oil on my 2019 GT Reserve at 500 miles, it was 1/8" over the max.
    My driving conditions don't lend themselves to put it at risk for oil dilution, but it's good to keep an eye on it.

Funny, I've been driving for coming up on 50 years now, and this is the first time in my life I'm regularly checking the oil for fear of the level being too HIGH.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by selmorides View Post
    For the first time in 35 years I paid someone else to change my oil. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change and they over-filled it, but not by much. This dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. My guess is they put 5 quarts in it. The manual states 4.5 liters or 4.8 quarts. I will do my next oil change and measure out 4.5 liters. We'll see how that works out.
    This is one thing I definitely don't get with Mazda.

While the manual calls for that, with 5 qts you actually wont even be to full. Takes 5 and then some to fill to full. I really do not understand why they have 4.8 quarts listed in the manual. I'm estimating here, but I'm guessing it's closer to 5.5 quarts to be overfilled. I think Yrwei said he adds 5.3 quarts to get to full mark, but don't quote me on that.

That said...Many of us NA engine folks just drop in a 5 quart jug and call it good. Others add part of a 6th quart to get it to full. I'm not that anal about it though. Not sure if the turbo is different, but at least in the NA, as long as the oil level is in between the 2 dots on the dipstick, you are fine.

If you regular do your own, don't overthink it. It's very easy to perform an oil change on this vehicle and for many of us, the amount of oil is as easy as a 5 quart jug from Walmart.
    Last edited by ColoradoDriver; 03-31-2019 at 12:55 AM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

Cx5

First oil change at 5200 miles last week. It took 5.5 quarts to read just below the top hole on the stick. My guess is they put 6 quarts in at the factory.

Iíll be sending a sample out for analysis. Hopefully it doesnít come back with high fuel dillution.

Donated: $45
    CX Moderator

'15 CX-5 Miata GT AWD w/Tech 2.5L

I always do the 5qts, along with a filter change. In light of recent incidents I probably should put 5.5.

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    I always do the 5qts, along with a filter change. In light of recent incidents I probably should put 5.5.
    Unless I am missing it in another thread, you tend to post stuff like this without actually expanding on what said recent incidents were that led you to this conclusion, until someone like me asks, so I am asking.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoDriver View Post
    Unless I am missing it in another thread, you tend to post stuff like this without actually expanding on what said recent incidents were that led you to this conclusion, until someone like me asks, so I am asking.
    Should be this:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Top_Her View Post
    Had a low oil pressure incident during a sharp turn at low rpm on Satuday... lost some copper on an end bearing for sure. Luckily it's minor. 4.5qt of 5w30 and a .5qt bottle of STP high mileage additive preclude ticking until around 4500 rpm. Probably could never mess with it and be fine just minding my rpms but I'm gonna replace the end bearings. Ofc they are on nationwide backorder ��. Bad part is I had a box of ow20, atf and gear fluid for a fluid swap in car to be used the next day lol.

13' CX-5 and 16' Mazda6 both Touring w/Tech/Bose

Quote Originally Posted by cz5gt View Post
    btw, the US cx5 takes 5 us quarts and is not enough. sits in the middle of the oil stick.
    I am experiencing the same with the Mazda 6's 2.5l non-turbo engine.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

My MAZDA manual states that all fluid capacities are APPROXIMATE. We have so much time to waste that we keep a question like this going? Ed

Banned

16.5 CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech BRMica

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    My MAZDA manual states that all fluid capacities are APPROXIMATE. We have so much time to waste that we keep a question like this going? Ed
    Apparently so...LOL

Jebus, just put 5 quarts in and forget about it. It won't make a damn bit of difference. Thread closed, lol.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5 GS AWD

5.5 qt every time.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast