Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 94

Thread: GT-R oil overfilled

  1. #31
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,778
    Just checked mine. 16XX miles. Oil was about 1/8" over the top hole. I'm not really concerned about this.

  2. #32
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,007

    Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Just checked mine. 16XX miles. Oil was about 1/8" over the top hole. I'm not really concerned about this.
    So we can safely assume Mazda “over-filled” every 2.5T and “under-filled” every 2.5L NA from factory.

    Of course this’s based on common knowledge from our conventional wisdom and experience. But Mazda wants to be different from everybody else and has different definition on “Full” and “Add” marks on dipstick.

    BTW, does your 2019 GTR have symptoms described in this thread?

    2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

  3. #33
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,778
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    So we can safely assume Mazda *over-filled* every 2.5T and *under-filled* every 2.5L NA from factory.

    Of course this*s based on common knowledge from our conventional wisdom and experience. But Mazda wants to be different from everybody else and has different definition on *Full* and *Add* marks on dipstick.

    BTW, does your 2019 GTR have symptoms described in this thread?

    2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch
    Maybe a mild version, kindof like a non-VW DCT at low speeds. My bet is the lockup is just tighter in the tuning or tq converter physically.

  4. #34
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,007

    Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

    BTW, there’re people insisting Mazda is doing the right thing keeping the oil level in between 2 dots of the dipstick instead of at the Full mark because keeping the oil level at the Full mark is unnecessary and may not be a good idea. Some even praised Mazda changed the wording from “Full” and “Add” to “Max” and “Min” marks for those 2 dots on the dipstick in owner’s manual so that it won’t confuse the CX-5 owners. Now Mazda factory-filled engine oil on 2.5T over the “Maximum” mark on dipstick, what’s now?

  5. #35
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,778
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    BTW, there*re people insisting Mazda is doing the right thing keeping the oil level in between 2 dots of the dipstick instead of at the Full mark because keeping the oil level at the Full mark is unnecessary and may not be a good idea. Some even praised Mazda changed the wording from *Full* and *Add* to *Max* and *Min* marks for those 2 dots on the dipstick in owner*s manual so that it won*t confuse the CX-5 owners. Now Mazda factory-filled engine oil on 2.5T over the *Maximum* mark on dipstick, what*s now?
    They explained in the manual, no?

  6. #36
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,007

    Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    They explained in the manual, no?
    No, the manual changed the wording only with no explanation, and:

    Quote Originally Posted by 2017 CX-5 Owner's Manual

    7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.

    CAUTION
    Do not overfill the engine oil. This may cause engine damage.

  7. #37
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,778
    Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    No, the manual changed the wording only with no explanation, and:
    Inspect the engine oil level periodically. When inspecting the engine oil, if the engine oil level is exceeds the *X* mark on the dipstick, replace the engine oil. This should be done by an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer. When replacing the engine oil, inspect the oil level using the oil dipstick and refill so that the engine oil level is within the range between MIN and MAX as shown in the figure.
    http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/e...?kw=dip&hw=dip

    "X" seems to mark the spot...that it becomes an issue.

  8. #38
    Registered Member

    2018 CX-5 Sport

    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/e...?kw=dip&hw=dip

    "X" seems to mark the spot...that it becomes an issue.
    OMG the dipstick and oil measure for the diesel engine is complicated.

  9. #39
    Registered Member yrwei52's Avatar
    Donated: $8

    2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Plano, Texas, USA
    Posts
    8,007

    Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

    Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Inspect the engine oil level periodically. When inspecting the engine oil, if the engine oil level is exceeds the "X" mark on the dipstick, replace the engine oil. This should be done by an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer. When replacing the engine oil, inspect the oil level using the oil dipstick and refill so that the engine oil level is within the range between MIN and MAX as shown in the figure.
    http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/e...?kw=dip&hw=dip

    "X" seems to mark the spot...that it becomes an issue.
    Yes, you're quoting the oil level checking for SkyActiv-D 2.2, not the SkyActiv-G 2.0 of 2.5. There's no "X" mark on dipstick for Mazda's gas engines.

  10. #40
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - southern Oregon
    Posts
    2,268
    Seems like all the concern and confusion is because the engines are delivered with the oil below the MAX line, and the stated capacity seems to yield a reading below the MAX line when changing.

    That should not be a problem. Level is only a problem when it falls BELOW the MIN line, or above the MAX line. ANYWHERE in between [check when the engine has reached full operating temp and cooled off for 5 minutes] is fine. It does NOT have to be at MAX. I prefer mine to be a little below.

    When changing oil, DO NOT fill all the way to MAX, because the oil you put in is cold and will expand when hot. A 5 qt jug should be fine. Next time you check it, you can adjust as necessary or if desired. Even if it's only halfway between the lines it's fine.

    The exact level is not such a BFD.

  11. #41
    Registered Member

    Cx5

    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    86
    Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    Seems like all the concern and confusion is because the engines are delivered with the oil below the MAX line, and the stated capacity seems to yield a reading below the MAX line when changing.

    That should not be a problem. Level is only a problem when it falls BELOW the MIN line, or above the MAX line. ANYWHERE in between [check when the engine has reached full operating temp and cooled off for 5 minutes] is fine. It does NOT have to be at MAX. I prefer mine to be a little below.

    When changing oil, DO NOT fill all the way to MAX, because the oil you put in is cold and will expand when hot. A 5 qt jug should be fine. Next time you check it, you can adjust as necessary or if desired. Even if it's only halfway between the lines it's fine.

    The exact level is not such a BFD.
    My post was specific to the factory filled 2.5t being slightly overfilled per the stick. Not the 2.5na that reads in between the high and low holes with the recommend amount of oil.

    I’m just curious if other 2.5t owners are seeing the same thing.

  12. #42
    Structural Member shadonoz's Avatar
    Donated: $5

    2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    State of Jefferson - southern Oregon
    Posts
    2,268
    Quote Originally Posted by 2001birdowner View Post
    My post was specific to the factory filled 2.5t being slightly overfilled per the stick. Not the 2.5na that reads in between the high and low holes with the recommend amount of oil.

    I*m just curious if other 2.5t owners are seeing the same thing.
    I lost track of that. It's a legitimate question. It looks like you got one affirmative response, and no negatives so far. I hope more turbo drivers respond.

    Interesting how our threads wander around.

  13. #43
    Registered Member Anchorman's Avatar

    2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Derbyshire UK
    Posts
    2,567
    The problem you’ve got is knowing whether the engine was overfilled at the factory or topped up by the dealer. Adding one unnecessary penny to a production line product tends not to happen.

  14. #44
    Registered Member

    CX5 GT-R

    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    South-Central US
    Posts
    7,778
    Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    The problem you*ve got is knowing whether the engine was overfilled at the factory or topped up by the dealer. Adding one unnecessary penny to a production line product tends not to happen.
    I can all but promise you that it wasn't topped off at the dealer. I worked for a dealer for a year, and we NEVER ONCE topped anything off that came from the factory. Doubt we even checked it, honestly. None of my other cars I bought new were topped off by the dealer, either.

  15. #45
    Registered Member

    2019 CX-5 Signature

    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    12
    Must admit that I did not check the oil after purchasing my CX-5 Signature. With about 1,200 km I now did the 5 minutes specified check and it's about 1/4" above the full mark. Quite surprised because usually factory fills are right on. Wonder why it's not?

    Now with service departments overfill is to be expected. It does not matter what make of cars, I always have to specify to not overfill the oil every time I get an oil change and most of the time they do it anyways to various degrees.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Overfilled CV Boots?
    By FukuokaKid in forum Mazda5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-09-2019, 01:34 PM
  2. 2017 CX-9 Oil overfilled and interval
    By Staphwildman in forum CX-9 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM
  3. Dealer overfilled oil
    By JTNY in forum CX-5 Engine & Transmission
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2017, 08:23 AM
  4. Oil overfilled by dealer
    By zorobg in forum CX-5 General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-30-2014, 08:12 AM
  5. Oil overfilled from factory?
    By FrequentFlyer in forum Mazdaspeed3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 10:10 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •