GT-R oil overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like all the concern and confusion is because the engines are delivered with the oil below the MAX line, and the stated capacity seems to yield a reading below the MAX line when changing.

That should not be a problem. Level is only a problem when it falls BELOW the MIN line, or above the MAX line. ANYWHERE in between [check when the engine has reached full operating temp and cooled off for 5 minutes] is fine. It does NOT have to be at MAX. I prefer mine to be a little below.

When changing oil, DO NOT fill all the way to MAX, because the oil you put in is cold and will expand when hot. A 5 qt jug should be fine. Next time you check it, you can adjust as necessary or if desired. Even if it's only halfway between the lines it's fine.

The exact level is not such a BFD.

My post was specific to the factory filled 2.5t being slightly overfilled per the stick. Not the 2.5na that reads in between the high and low holes with the recommend amount of oil.

Im just curious if other 2.5t owners are seeing the same thing.

My post was specific to the factory filled 2.5t being slightly overfilled per the stick. Not the 2.5na that reads in between the high and low holes with the recommend amount of oil.

I*m just curious if other 2.5t owners are seeing the same thing.

I lost track of that. It's a legitimate question. It looks like you got one affirmative response, and no negatives so far. I hope more turbo drivers respond.

Interesting how our threads wander around.

The problem youve got is knowing whether the engine was overfilled at the factory or topped up by the dealer. Adding one unnecessary penny to a production line product tends not to happen.

The problem you*ve got is knowing whether the engine was overfilled at the factory or topped up by the dealer. Adding one unnecessary penny to a production line product tends not to happen.

I can all but promise you that it wasn't topped off at the dealer. I worked for a dealer for a year, and we NEVER ONCE topped anything off that came from the factory. Doubt we even checked it, honestly. None of my other cars I bought new were topped off by the dealer, either.

Must admit that I did not check the oil after purchasing my CX-5 Signature. With about 1,200 km I now did the 5 minutes specified check and it's about 1/4" above the full mark. Quite surprised because usually factory fills are right on. Wonder why it's not?

Now with service departments overfill is to be expected. It does not matter what make of cars, I always have to specify to not overfill the oil every time I get an oil change and most of the time they do it anyways to various degrees.

Must admit that I did not check the oil after purchasing my CX-5 Signature. With about 1,200 km I now did the 5 minutes specified check and it's about 1/4" above the full mark. Quite surprised because usually factory fills are right on. Wonder why it's not?

Now with service departments overfill is to be expected. It does not matter what make of cars, I always have to specify to not overfill the oil every time I get an oil change and most of the time they do it anyways to various degrees.
Eh...reports of factory underfilled ATF (can confirm that one), and rear diff oil. Would not say they are spot on at the factory personally. At least as far as the CX-5 is concerned.

Eh...reports of factory underfilled ATF (can confirm that one), and rear diff oil. Would not say they are spot on at the factory personally. At least as far as the CX-5 is concerned.

Based on my recollection of vehicles from the past few years (Acura's). Further, my memory is not what it used to be.

For the first time in 35 years I paid someone else to change my oil. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change and they over-filled it, but not by much. This dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. My guess is they put 5 quarts in it. The manual states 4.5 liters or 4.8 quarts. I will do my next oil change and measure out 4.5 liters. We'll see how that works out.

I just checked the oil on my 2019 GT Reserve at 500 miles, it was 1/8" over the max.
My driving conditions don't lend themselves to put it at risk for oil dilution, but it's good to keep an eye on it.

Funny, I've been driving for coming up on 50 years now, and this is the first time in my life I'm regularly checking the oil for fear of the level being too HIGH.

For the first time in 35 years I paid someone else to change my oil. I took it to the dealer for the first oil change and they over-filled it, but not by much. This dealer uses bulk oil supplied by Total. My guess is they put 5 quarts in it. The manual states 4.5 liters or 4.8 quarts. I will do my next oil change and measure out 4.5 liters. We'll see how that works out.
This is one thing I definitely don't get with Mazda.

While the manual calls for that, with 5 qts you actually wont even be to full. Takes 5 and then some to fill to full. I really do not understand why they have 4.8 quarts listed in the manual. I'm estimating here, but I'm guessing it's closer to 5.5 quarts to be overfilled. I think Yrwei said he adds 5.3 quarts to get to full mark, but don't quote me on that.

That said...Many of us NA engine folks just drop in a 5 quart jug and call it good. Others add part of a 6th quart to get it to full. I'm not that anal about it though. Not sure if the turbo is different, but at least in the NA, as long as the oil level is in between the 2 dots on the dipstick, you are fine.

If you regular do your own, don't overthink it. It's very easy to perform an oil change on this vehicle and for many of us, the amount of oil is as easy as a 5 quart jug from Walmart.

Last edited:
First oil change at 5200 miles last week. It took 5.5 quarts to read just below the top hole on the stick. My guess is they put 6 quarts in at the factory.

Ill be sending a sample out for analysis. Hopefully it doesnt come back with high fuel dillution.

I always do the 5qts, along with a filter change. In light of recent incidents I probably should put 5.5.

I always do the 5qts, along with a filter change. In light of recent incidents I probably should put 5.5.

Unless I am missing it in another thread, you tend to post stuff like this without actually expanding on what said recent incidents were that led you to this conclusion, until someone like me asks, so I am asking. :p

Unless I am missing it in another thread, you tend to post stuff like this without actually expanding on what said recent incidents were that led you to this conclusion, until someone like me asks, so I am asking. :p
Should be this:

Had a low oil pressure incident during a sharp turn at low rpm on Satuday... lost some copper on an end bearing for sure. Luckily it's minor. 4.5qt of 5w30 and a .5qt bottle of STP high mileage additive preclude ticking until around 4500 rpm. Probably could never mess with it and be fine just minding my rpms but I'm gonna replace the end bearings. Ofc they are on nationwide backorder ��. Bad part is I had a box of ow20, atf and gear fluid for a fluid swap in car to be used the next day lol.

My MAZDA manual states that all fluid capacities are APPROXIMATE. We have so much time to waste that we keep a question like this going? Ed

My MAZDA manual states that all fluid capacities are APPROXIMATE. We have so much time to waste that we keep a question like this going? Ed

Apparently so...LOL

Jebus, just put 5 quarts in and forget about it. It won't make a damn bit of difference. Thread closed, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back