GT-R oil overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dip-sticks are imprecise. I've found variance on all vehicles vs stated capacity.
I have been changing oil of my vehicles since the first one many years ago. The CX-5 is the first vehicle I've owned and many other vehicles from friends and family that the stated oil capacity does not match the Full mark of the dipstick.

Rear diff may be a typo in the manual.
No, this definitely is not the typo. Mazda has revised the gear oil capacity on rear differential to 0.37 US quarts (from 0.45 quarts) on gen-2 CX-5 AWD. You'd believe Mazda should have known the error of typo on gen-1 CX-5 and issued a revision at least on factory service manual? Besides, everyone here who checked the gear oil level of rear differential from factory has found it's low. I believe Mazda preset the factory-fill to 0.45 / 0.37 quarts for rear differential. But then why the factory service manual states refill the gear oil to the fill-hole, which would be ~ 0.8 quarts, way more than factory specified 0.45 / 0.37 quarts?

The same on engine oil. Owner's manual says top off the oil to the Full mark when oil level is low, which means the oil capacity should be ~5.4 quarts instead of specified 4.8 quarts on 2.5L NA.

It's all of these inconsistencies and discrepancies by Mazda which makes me feel like unprofessional.

And why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on capacities and measurements?

I think the CX-5 had a smaller oil pan in the past and Mazda did not update the manual when they came out with the larger oil pan. My 2018 takes almost 5.5 quarts.

A good possibility. I had my oil pan replaced recently and the new one takes more oil to get to the full mark.

I think the CX-5 had a smaller oil pan in the past and Mazda did not update the manual when they came out with the larger oil pan. My 2018 takes almost 5.5 quarts.
So Mazda updated the rear differential gear oil capacity, air pressure on 19" tire, but forgot to revise the oil capacity for 3 model years?

Very sloppy job nevertheless by Mazda!

My 2016 CX-5 has original presumably "smaller" oil pan, it'd still take ~5.4 quarts to reach the Full mark on dipstick, not the specified 4.8 quarts.

Some vehicles have a normal full mark and a HOT full mark. Oil expands with increasing temp. This discussion has reached a low point for me. Ed
The oil level measurement is all based on the same stated procedure, hence oil expansion issue is irrelevant, as oil measured should be close to the same temperature.

Besides, when we buy a jug of engine oil, the quantity specified on it would not say 1 quart or 5 quarts approximately like Mazda did, would it? :)

Last edited:
The dipstick need not come into the equation when filling the engine after an oil change, only at routine inspections thereafter. Just like the factory, it will not be used when adding a metered amount of oil and it will be exact. Every engine that leaves the factory will have the same amount of oil reaching the exact same point on the dipstick which is also precisely the same on every engine - dipsticks and the indicated amount which for the diesel is lower than the full mark, do not vary. I have read on this forum several times that owners have grumbled about fluid levels being *low* on post delivery vehicles. The only time I might expect there to be slight variations would be with coolant where air might not be purged until after a period of running despite have also been filled with a precise amount.
Yes, been working on the automobile assembly line before I do understand every fluid level in every new vehicle should be the same measured precisely by the computer. The Full mark on dipstick is designed to match the oil capacity decided by engineers. If Mazda engineers believe 4.8 quarts is the best oil capacity for SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA and used that amount to every such engine during factory fill, then the Full mark on dipstick should be consistent at proper location for 4.8 quarts, not 5.4 quarts like the current location.

My point about Spotty Eric is that it will not normally be one of the technicians doing the pre delivery inspection but a semi skilled guy who working to what he knows best, might top off the oil. I did it the first time I changed my oil after coming from a Toyota which does not dilute. Since realising the issues, I don*t even bother breaking into the sixth litre to get 5.1 litres as 0.1 litre is only an *eyeful* and is on the right side. I can report that 6 full litres takes it right to the full mark which would instinctively feel normal to most of us.
Sounded like the higher-than-specified-capacity Full mark on our CX-5's dipstick is to cover the oil dilution / rising issue?

A question for you guys with the 2.5G engine. Do you have an X mark above the full line like the diesels do?
No, the dipstick on our SkyActiv-G has only 2 dots, indicating Full and Add marks, or Max and Min marks. I understand on SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel, the dipstick used to have 2 dots too. The higher "X" mark was added afterwards to "fix" the oil dilution issue on diesel, trying to ease the worries from those diesel owners when oil level is rising.

Yes, been working on the automobile assembly line before I do understand every fluid level in every new vehicle should be the same measured precisely by the computer. The Full mark on dipstick is designed to match the oil capacity decided by engineers. If Mazda engineers believe 4.8 quarts is the best oil capacity for SkyActiv-G 2.5L NA and used that amount to every such engine during factory fill, then the Full mark on dipstick should be consistent at proper location for 4.8 quarts, not 5.4 quarts like the current location.

It's a design choice. Clearly its a case of the oil level is considered within acceptable parameters as long as the level is between the two holes on the dipstick. I understand your want of precision, but in this case, does it really change anything? It's why many of us who DIY consider a 5 qt. jug of oil acceptable. Somehow if I had to guess, you buy a 6th quart and get to the top hole don't you? :p

Now the more egregious lack of precision is definitely with the ATF and other fluids you mentioned, like the rear differential. My ATF was likewise underfilled, and I had to add additional fluid when I drain/filled mine to reach the correct level marked on the ATF dipstick at the proper temperature, which unlike the engine oil dipstick, is much more precise in acceptable fluid level.

Sounded like the higher-than-specified-capacity Full mark on our CX-5's dipstick is to cover the oil dilution / rising issue?

Would be concerning if true, but I imagine perhaps some CX-9 owners could weigh in on if they have had such issues?

This thread is just calling for a corksport dipstick aftermarket Mod.

I just checked my Sig with 1k miles on the clock after it sat in the garage overnight.
Oil level is nearly 1/4" over full; but I'm unconcerned for 2 reasons:

(1) I checked it while cold after sitting overnight. The manual states:

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 8.5px Times; color: #0d0d0d}p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 7.0px Helvetica}p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica}p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.5px Helvetica}</style>1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.
5. Pull it out again and examine the level.
6. The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks.
7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}</style>8. Make sure the O-ring on the dipstick is positioned properly before reinserting the dipstick.
9. Reinsert the dipstick fully.

(2) Slightly overfull should be well within tolerance of what the engine can handle.
It's only when severely overfull that the engine crank can whip air into the oil and lead to lubrication problems.

Bottom line for me; no big deal.

Thanks for chiming in with what youre seeing on your signature.

I agree, I doubt its anything to be concerned about. I was mostly curious to see what other folks are seeing with the factory fill on a 2.5T.

The oil level measurement is all based on the same stated procedure, hence oil expansion issue is irrelevant, as oil measured should be close to the same temperature.

Besides, when we buy a jug of engine oil, the quantity specified on it would not say 1 quart or 5 quarts *approximately* like Mazda did, would it? :)

I agree with you, the dipstick has a full mark and a low mark. When the crankcase is full it should be at the full mark. My car actually was at the full mark when I got it new so that is what I am going to keep doing. It sort of sucks buying the 5 quart jug and one extra quart too but that is what I want to do. The extra quart is good for two oil changes so it's not that bad.

I agree with you, the dipstick has a full mark and a low mark. When the crankcase is full it should be at the full mark. My car actually was at the full mark when I got it new so that is what I am going to keep doing. It sort of sucks buying the 5 quart jug and one extra quart too but that is what I want to do. The extra quart is good for two oil changes so it's not that bad.
Your choice. 5 qt. jug does fine.

Just checked mine. 16XX miles. Oil was about 1/8" over the top hole. I'm not really concerned about this.
So we can safely assume Mazda over-filled every 2.5T and under-filled every 2.5L NA from factory.

Of course thiss based on common knowledge from our conventional wisdom and experience. But Mazda wants to be different from everybody else and has different definition on Full and Add marks on dipstick. ;)

BTW, does your 2019 GTR have symptoms described in this thread?

2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

So we can safely assume Mazda *over-filled* every 2.5T and *under-filled* every 2.5L NA from factory.

Of course this*s based on common knowledge from our conventional wisdom and experience. But Mazda wants to be different from everybody else and has different definition on *Full* and *Add* marks on dipstick. ;)

BTW, does your 2019 GTR have symptoms described in this thread?

2018 CX 5 Low Speed Transmission Hesitation/ Jerk / Lurch

Maybe a mild version, kindof like a non-VW DCT at low speeds. My bet is the lockup is just tighter in the tuning or tq converter physically.

BTW, therere people insisting Mazda is doing the right thing keeping the oil level in between 2 dots of the dipstick instead of at the Full mark because keeping the oil level at the Full mark is unnecessary and may not be a good idea. Some even praised Mazda changed the wording from Full and Add to Max and Min marks for those 2 dots on the dipstick in owners manual so that it wont confuse the CX-5 owners. Now Mazda factory-filled engine oil on 2.5T over the Maximum mark on dipstick, whats now? (uhm)

BTW, there*re people insisting Mazda is doing the right thing keeping the oil level in between 2 dots of the dipstick instead of at the Full mark because keeping the oil level at the Full mark is unnecessary and may not be a good idea. Some even praised Mazda changed the wording from *Full* and *Add* to *Max* and *Min* marks for those 2 dots on the dipstick in owner*s manual so that it won*t confuse the CX-5 owners. Now Mazda factory-filled engine oil on 2.5T over the *Maximum* mark on dipstick, what*s now? (uhm)

They explained in the manual, no?

They explained in the manual, no?
No, the manual changed the wording only with no explanation, and:

2017 CX-5 Owner's Manual said:

7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.

CAUTION
Do not overfill the engine oil. This may cause engine damage.

No, the manual changed the wording only with no explanation, and:
Inspect the engine oil level periodically. When inspecting the engine oil, if the engine oil level is exceeds the *X* mark on the dipstick, replace the engine oil. This should be done by an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer. When replacing the engine oil, inspect the oil level using the oil dipstick and refill so that the engine oil level is within the range between MIN and MAX as shown in the figure.

http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/contents/07030402.html?kw=dip&hw=dip

"X" seems to mark the spot...that it becomes an issue.

Inspect the engine oil level periodically. When inspecting the engine oil, if the engine oil level is exceeds the "X" mark on the dipstick, replace the engine oil. This should be done by an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer. When replacing the engine oil, inspect the oil level using the oil dipstick and refill so that the engine oil level is within the range between MIN and MAX as shown in the figure.
http://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8gj1ee18b/contents/07030402.html?kw=dip&hw=dip

"X" seems to mark the spot...that it becomes an issue.
Yes, you're quoting the oil level checking for SkyActiv-D 2.2, not the SkyActiv-G 2.0 of 2.5. There's no "X" mark on dipstick for Mazda's gas engines.

Seems like all the concern and confusion is because the engines are delivered with the oil below the MAX line, and the stated capacity seems to yield a reading below the MAX line when changing.

That should not be a problem. Level is only a problem when it falls BELOW the MIN line, or above the MAX line. ANYWHERE in between [check when the engine has reached full operating temp and cooled off for 5 minutes] is fine. It does NOT have to be at MAX. I prefer mine to be a little below.

When changing oil, DO NOT fill all the way to MAX, because the oil you put in is cold and will expand when hot. A 5 qt jug should be fine. Next time you check it, you can adjust as necessary or if desired. Even if it's only halfway between the lines it's fine.

The exact level is not such a BFD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back