GT-R oil overfilled

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I got the car home from the dealer with around 300 miles on it the oil has been slightly overfilled. Maybe an 1/8th over the full hole. Just curious if anyone else with a signature or GT-R has noticed the same thing.

This is he opposite of my 2016 which has always been a little over half way between the holes on the stick even after an oil change. My 2016 3 GT was the was the same way.

It is more of an issue with diesels but if the duty cycle of your car is such that it lends itself to dilution, it is already part way to a problem if it has been overfilled. What a lot of people don*t get is that a Skyactive engine takes 5.1 litres (5.4 qts) of oil which takes it to about 3/16* below the top mark. The top Mark is the maximum and not the target but plenty of old school oil changers including spotty Eric who is charged with prepping your 35k car will fill to the top line. Not a problem if your engine isn*t going to dilute but could mean it doesn*t make it to the next service if it does. Our high risk diesels are on a 12500 mile service interval which exacerbates the issue.

The owners manual states that oil amounts listed are APPROXIMATE. I see 1/8 inch over the top mark is of no consequence to me. Ed

It is more of an issue with diesels but if the duty cycle of your car is such that it lends itself to dilution, it is already part way to a problem if it has been overfilled. What a lot of people don*t get is that a Skyactive engine takes 5.1 litres (5.4 qts) of oil which takes it to about 3/16* below the top mark. The top Mark is the maximum and not the target but plenty of old school oil changers including spotty Eric who is charged with prepping your 35k car will fill to the top line. Not a problem if your engine isn*t going to dilute but could mean it doesn*t make it to the next service if it does. Our high risk diesels are on a 12500 mile service interval which exacerbates the issue.
Then my question is why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on the Full mark of the oil level, hence confuses so many Mazda owners especially for the first-time Mazda owners?

I just checked my Sig with 1k miles on the clock after it sat in the garage overnight.
Oil level is nearly 1/4" over full; but I'm unconcerned for 2 reasons:

(1) I checked it while cold after sitting overnight. The manual states:

<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 8.5px Times; color: #0d0d0d}p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 7.0px Helvetica}p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica}p.p5 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 11.5px Helvetica}</style>1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.
5. Pull it out again and examine the level.
6. The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks.
7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.
<style type="text/css">p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 10.0px Helvetica}</style>8. Make sure the O-ring on the dipstick is positioned properly before reinserting the dipstick.
9. Reinsert the dipstick fully.

(2) Slightly overfull should be well within tolerance of what the engine can handle.
It's only when severely overfull that the engine crank can whip air into the oil and lead to lubrication problems.

Bottom line for me; no big deal.

Last edited:

If it's anything like GM, it's a machine that fills the car, not "spotty Eric" (or, since this happens in Japan, "Spotty Akemi").

If it's anything like GM, it's a machine that fills the car, not "spotty Eric" (or, since this happens in Japan, "Spotty Akemi").

Now THAT made me laugh out loud.

But really, you're right. I just don't see some guy in an assembly plant pouring oil into engines all day long for a living.

The owners manual states that oil amounts listed are APPROXIMATE. I see 1/8 inch over the top mark is of no consequence to me. Ed
Again, why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on these fluid capacity specs with APPROXIMATE amount while others give you exact amount? Approximate amount or not, theres also inconsistency problem on fluid capacities. For example oil capacity given on specs is 4.8 quarts on 2.5L NA, but requires 5.3~5.4 quarts to reach to the Full mark. Front transfer case? 0.45 quarts to fill hole which is right on the money. Rear differential? 0.45 quarts on specs but we need ~0.8 quarts to reach to the fill hole!

The owners manual and factory service manual from Mazda all state that when top off the engine oil, fill the fresh oil to the Full mark of the dipstick. Refill the front transfer case and real differential? Fill to the fill hole!

Now whats the story of giving the wide range of torque specs on every bolt and nut from Mazdas service manual? Everybody else gives one torque value, not a wide range!

All of these give me the unprofessional feeling from Mazda. They simply dont care the precision of the engineering!

Again, why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on these fluid capacity specs with APPROXIMATE amount while others give you exact amount? Approximate amount or not, there*s also inconsistency problem on fluid capacities. For example oil capacity given on specs is 4.8 quarts on 2.5L NA, but requires 5.3~5.4 quarts to reach to the Full mark. Front transfer case? 0.45 quarts to fill hole which is right on the money. Rear differential? 0.45 quarts on specs but we need ~0.8 quarts to reach to the fill hole!

The owner*s manual and factory service manual from Mazda all state that when top off the engine oil, fill the fresh oil to the Full mark of the dipstick. Refill the front transfer case and real differential? Fill to the fill hole!

Now what*s the story of giving the wide range of torque specs on every bolt and nut from Mazda*s service manual? Everybody else gives one torque value, not a wide range!

All of these give me the unprofessional feeling from Mazda. They simply don*t care the precision of the engineering!

Actually, they are realists. Bolt stretch as supplied via use of a torque wrench is incredibly difficult to truly gauge.

What is the temperature? Is that wet, or dry torque? Has the screw been used and tightened once before, or not?

These are all factors.

As a fun fact, did you know that the nut holding the barrel onto our armed force's M4, MK18, and M16A2 weapons has an acceptable torque range of 35-80 ft-lbs, roughly?

I just checked my Sig with 1k miles on the clock after it sat in the garage overnight.
Oil level is nearly 1/4" over full; but I'm unconcerned for 2 reasons:

(1) I checked it while cold after sitting overnight. The manual states:

Bottom line for me; no big deal.

Mazda CX-5 Owners Manual said:

3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.

7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.

CAUTION
Do not overfill the engine oil. This may cause engine damage.
Id say leaving the car overnight then measure the oil level definitely meet the step #3 ⋯

Actually, they are realists. Bolt stretch as supplied via use of a torque wrench is incredibly difficult to truly gauge.

What is the temperature? Is that wet, or dry torque? Has the screw been used and tightened once before, or not?

These are all factors.

As a fun fact, did you know that the nut holding the barrel onto our armed force's M4, MK18, and M16A2 weapons has an acceptable torque range of 35-80 ft-lbs, roughly?
I can accept your explanation on wide range of torque specs provided by Mazda. But how do you explain the inconsistency and discrepancy of fluid capacities? ;)

And under-filled engine oil on 2.5L NA but possibly over-filled on 2.5T from factory?

Some vehicles have a normal full mark and a HOT full mark. Oil expands with increasing temp. This discussion has reached a low point for me. Ed

I can accept your explanation on wide range of torque specs provided by Mazda. But how do you explain the inconsistency and discrepancy of fluid capacities? ;)

And under-filled engine oil on 2.5L NA but possibly over-filled on 2.5T from factory?

Dip-sticks are imprecise. I've found variance on all vehicles vs stated capacity.
Rear diff may be a typo in the manual. The M4 castle nut had one for years, actually! Listing torque as 40 in-lb +-2.5 instead of ft-lb! Or, maybe the rear diff is not meant to be filled that high? Fluid dynamics in a diff is cool...

Some vehicles have a normal full mark and a HOT full mark. Oil expands with increasing temp. This discussion has reached a low point for me. Ed

My Z06 would vary significantly based on oil temp, and even gave temp parameters for properly checking it.

The dipstick need not come into the equation when filling the engine after an oil change, only at routine inspections thereafter. Just like the factory, it will not be used when adding a metered amount of oil and it will be exact. Every engine that leaves the factory will have the same amount of oil reaching the exact same point on the dipstick which is also precisely the same on every engine - dipsticks and the indicated amount which for the diesel is lower than the full mark, do not vary. I have read on this forum several times that owners have grumbled about fluid levels being *low* on post delivery vehicles. The only time I might expect there to be slight variations would be with coolant where air might not be purged until after a period of running despite have also been filled with a precise amount. My point about Spotty Eric is that it will not normally be one of the technicians doing the pre delivery inspection but a semi skilled guy who working to what he knows best, might top off the oil. I did it the first time I changed my oil after coming from a Toyota which does not dilute. Since realising the issues, I don*t even bother breaking into the sixth litre to get 5.1 litres as 0.1 litre is only an *eyeful* and is on the right side. I can report that 6 full litres takes it right to the full mark which would instinctively feel normal to most of us. A question for you guys with the 2.5G engine. Do you have an X mark above the full line like the diesels do?

I think the CX-5 had a smaller oil pan in the past and Mazda did not update the manual when they came out with the larger oil pan. My 2018 takes almost 5.5 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back