Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GT-R oil overfilled

Registered Member

Cx5

GT-R oil overfilled

Since I got the car home from the dealer with around 300 miles on it the oil has been slightly overfilled. Maybe an 1/8th” over the full hole. Just curious if anyone else with a signature or GT-R has noticed the same thing.

This is he opposite of my 2016 which has always been a little over half way between the holes on the stick even after an oil change. My 2016 3 GT was the was the same way.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Sounds insignificant, imo

2019 CX-5 GT 184 2.2 diesel auto - Sonic Silver

It is more of an issue with diesels but if the duty cycle of your car is such that it lends itself to dilution, it is already part way to a problem if it has been overfilled. What a lot of people don*t get is that a Skyactive engine takes 5.1 litres (5.4 qts) of oil which takes it to about 3/16* below the top mark. The top Mark is the maximum and not the target but plenty of old school oil changers including spotty Eric who is charged with prepping your 35k car will fill to the top line. Not a problem if your engine isn*t going to dilute but could mean it doesn*t make it to the next service if it does. Our high risk diesels are on a 12500 mile service interval which exacerbates the issue.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

The owners manual states that oil amounts listed are APPROXIMATE. I see 1/8 inch over the top mark is of no consequence to me. Ed

Donated: $8

2016 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD w/Tech

Arrow GT-R oil overfilled

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    It is more of an issue with diesels but if the duty cycle of your car is such that it lends itself to dilution, it is already part way to a problem if it has been overfilled. What a lot of people don*t get is that a Skyactive engine takes 5.1 litres (5.4 qts) of oil which takes it to about 3/16* below the top mark. The top Mark is the maximum and not the target but plenty of old school oil changers including spotty Eric who is charged with prepping your 35k car will fill to the top line. Not a problem if your engine isn*t going to dilute but could mean it doesn*t make it to the next service if it does. Our high risk diesels are on a 12500 mile service interval which exacerbates the issue.
    Then my question is why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on the Full mark of the oil level, hence confuses so many Mazda owners especially for the first-time Mazda owners?

Registered Member

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature; 2019 Mazda MX-5 30 AE, RF, #150/3000

I just checked my Sig with 1k miles on the clock after it sat in the garage overnight.
    Oil level is nearly 1/4" over full; but I'm unconcerned for 2 reasons:

(1) I checked it while cold after sitting overnight. The manual states:

1. Be sure the vehicle is on a level surface.
    2. Warm up the engine to normal operating temperature.
    3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
    4. Pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, and reinsert it fully.
    5. Pull it out again and examine the level.
    6. The level is normal if it is between the MIN and MAX marks.
    7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.
    8. Make sure the O-ring on the dipstick is positioned properly before reinserting the dipstick.
    9. Reinsert the dipstick fully.

(2) Slightly overfull should be well within tolerance of what the engine can handle.
    It's only when severely overfull that the engine crank can whip air into the oil and lead to lubrication problems.

Bottom line for me; no big deal.
    Last edited by Turborascal; 03-09-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    2019 Soul Red Crystal Metallic CX-5 Signature
    2019 Racing Orange MX-5 Miata RF/MT 30th Anniversary Edition (9th Miata)
    29 Mazdas since 1974

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Anchorman View Post
    If it's anything like GM, it's a machine that fills the car, not "spotty Eric" (or, since this happens in Japan, "Spotty Akemi").

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Sounds insignificant, imo
    This. An 8th....of an inch?!?
    And we're moving on....

Registered Member

17 Mazda 6 GT

If it's anything like GM, it's a machine that fills the car, not "spotty Eric" (or, since this happens in Japan, "Spotty Akemi").
    Now THAT made me laugh out loud.

But really, you're right. I just don't see some guy in an assembly plant pouring oil into engines all day long for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by erhayes View Post
    The owners manual states that oil amounts listed are APPROXIMATE. I see 1/8 inch over the top mark is of no consequence to me. Ed
    Again, why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on these fluid capacity specs with APPROXIMATE amount while others give you exact amount? Approximate amount or not, there’s also inconsistency problem on fluid capacities. For example oil capacity given on specs is 4.8 quarts on 2.5L NA, but requires 5.3~5.4 quarts to reach to the Full mark. Front transfer case? 0.45 quarts to fill hole which is right on the money. Rear differential? 0.45 quarts on specs but we need ~0.8 quarts to reach to the fill hole!

The owner’s manual and factory service manual from Mazda all state that when top off the engine oil, fill the fresh oil to the Full mark of the dipstick. Refill the front transfer case and real differential? Fill to the fill hole!

Now what’s the story of giving the wide range of torque specs on every bolt and nut from Mazda’s service manual? Everybody else gives one torque value, not a wide range!

All of these give me the unprofessional feeling from Mazda. They simply don’t care the precision of the engineering!

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzman12 View Post
    Now THAT made me laugh out loud.

But really, you're right. I just don't see some guy in an assembly plant pouring oil into engines all day long for a living.
    Sure would make for a great ingredients to a "rage quite" story someday, though!

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Quote Originally Posted by yrwei52 View Post
    Again, why Mazda wants to be different from everybody else on these fluid capacity specs with APPROXIMATE amount while others give you exact amount? Approximate amount or not, there*s also inconsistency problem on fluid capacities. For example oil capacity given on specs is 4.8 quarts on 2.5L NA, but requires 5.3~5.4 quarts to reach to the Full mark. Front transfer case? 0.45 quarts to fill hole which is right on the money. Rear differential? 0.45 quarts on specs but we need ~0.8 quarts to reach to the fill hole!

The owner*s manual and factory service manual from Mazda all state that when top off the engine oil, fill the fresh oil to the Full mark of the dipstick. Refill the front transfer case and real differential? Fill to the fill hole!

Now what*s the story of giving the wide range of torque specs on every bolt and nut from Mazda*s service manual? Everybody else gives one torque value, not a wide range!

All of these give me the unprofessional feeling from Mazda. They simply don*t care the precision of the engineering!
    Actually, they are realists. Bolt stretch as supplied via use of a torque wrench is incredibly difficult to truly gauge.

What is the temperature? Is that wet, or dry torque? Has the screw been used and tightened once before, or not?

These are all factors.

As a fun fact, did you know that the nut holding the barrel onto our armed force's M4, MK18, and M16A2 weapons has an acceptable torque range of 35-80 ft-lbs, roughly?

Quote Originally Posted by Turborascal View Post
    I just checked my Sig with 1k miles on the clock after it sat in the garage overnight.
    Oil level is nearly 1/4" over full; but I'm unconcerned for 2 reasons:

(1) I checked it while cold after sitting overnight. The manual states:

Bottom line for me; no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazda CX-5 Owner’s Manual

3. Turn it off and wait at least 5 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.

7. If it is near or below MIN, add enough oil to bring the level to MAX.

CAUTION
    Do not overfill the engine oil. This may cause engine damage.
    I’d say leaving the car overnight then measure the oil level definitely meet the step #3 ⋯

Actually, they are realists. Bolt stretch as supplied via use of a torque wrench is incredibly difficult to truly gauge.

What is the temperature? Is that wet, or dry torque? Has the screw been used and tightened once before, or not?

These are all factors.

As a fun fact, did you know that the nut holding the barrel onto our armed force's M4, MK18, and M16A2 weapons has an acceptable torque range of 35-80 ft-lbs, roughly?
    I can accept your explanation on wide range of torque specs provided by Mazda. But how do you explain the inconsistency and discrepancy of fluid capacities?

And under-filled engine oil on 2.5L NA but possibly over-filled on 2.5T from factory?

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Some vehicles have a normal full mark and a HOT full mark. Oil expands with increasing temp. This discussion has reached a low point for me. Ed

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast