16-17 owners ... what warranty work have you needed?

Currently have almost 42,000 miles on our *16 GT AWD. Warranty issues have consisted of squeaky rear suspension (replaced with no issues ) and a constant concern with the infotainment system. We*ve had blank screens, locked screens, etc... numerous updates and a screen replacement (all under warranty) have seemed to fix it.

Currently the left rear brakes squeak like a school bus and the passenger door edge weather seal is misplaced. But overall we love the car and plan on keeping it for quite a while.

I should mention that this is happening to mine as well, both driver's side and passenger side. It happened because I was too lazy to wipe down the door jambs and door edges after rinsing it at the car wash, then allowed the doors to sit overnight and freeze. Then in the morning, I'd have to use a bit of force to open the door. My dumb ass did this a few times over the winter, and the weather seal can only take so much. It usually just pops right back into place though.

Does a Technical Service Bulletin count? Had to get the passenger side rear suspension replaced due to squeaking noise. Was covered for free.

I worded my comment in a confusing way, but no. I always come to a full stop before shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa, always. The noise I am talking about happens immediately when I press the accelerator after shifting. The conditions for this can be park->drive, drive->park, and reverse->drive (always at full stop).

Mine has made that noise too. Havent brought it to the dealer to get looked at tho.

When putting in gear and pressing the accelerator, I hear a creak or clunk sound coming from the front end.

Is this what you are experiencing? Also, what was the solution?

CX-9 2016 - I had infotainment problems with screen going dark, freezes etc. Dealer tried new SD card which made it better, but not fixed. Eventually dealer replaced the entire screen. Now fixed. I had the weather strip noise others mentioned. That's about it. I loved the car, but traded for a 2019 since dealer gave me a great deal. So far I only have one big complaint about the lights on the small heater system buttons, I posted it in the lounge. Overall, CX-9 is a terrific automobile.

I had the infotainment screen replaced due to the screen going black intermittently or not coming on when put in reverse. Other than that, my 17 has been great.

Mine has made that noise too. Havent brought it to the dealer to get looked at tho.

When putting in gear and pressing the accelerator, I hear a creak or clunk sound coming from the front end.

Is this what you are experiencing? Also, what was the solution?

Yes, this is exactly it, I am glad I was not going crazy. That clunk does not inspire confidence, even though functionally I am not experiencing any drivability issues. I plan to bring it up when I take it in for an oil change next month.

Regarding the driver mirror having a slight vibration at higher speeds. It seems to be normal my 2018 cx5 does it , as did another I drove. Also I just drove a 2019 Mazda 3 to check it out and the driver mirror does the exact same thing. It*s very slight so it is what it is.

Had my driver*s side mirror replaced because of the vibration issue at highway speeds...was replaced under warranty

I have a 2017 GT and the front brake rotors were warped at 11000 miles. The dealer replaced them under warranty. No problems since and I have 22k miles on the new rotors (33k on the car)

Had my driver*s side mirror replaced because of the vibration issue at highway speeds...was replaced under warranty

120 mph on the autobahn (see my avatar) and I never noticed this vibration. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

120 mph on the autobahn (see my avatar) and I never noticed this vibration. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

The mirror vibration seems to be more prevalent on the CX-9, for some reason.

Comment/Question with regards to this topic:

I own a 2018 Cx9 with total confidence package.

1. I am noticing a lot of the posts here involve brake pads/rotors were replaced under warranty- interesting that this is the case, as most warranty do not cover the brakes as it is treated as a wearable item- is this not the case with Mazda? Did anybody have issues at the dealership quoting it as such?
2. Speaking of, do you know where I can actually see the online version that explains all of the coverage? Only thing I see online is a mazda website with no detailed information. I see a pdf on search, but it is a 2012 version.
3. I myself am dealing with a fascia bumper issue that was there since I bought it originally (bought cpo version). Dealership "repaired" but still issues persist. probably not covered under warranty?
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865864-2018-cx9-Front-bumper-sticking-out-suggestions&highlight=

Comment/Question with regards to this topic:

I own a 2018 Cx9 with total confidence package.

1. I am noticing a lot of the posts here involve brake pads/rotors were replaced under warranty- interesting that this is the case, as most warranty do not cover the brakes as it is treated as a wearable item- is this not the case with Mazda? Did anybody have issues at the dealership quoting it as such?
2. Speaking of, do you know where I can actually see the online version that explains all of the coverage? Only thing I see online is a mazda website with no detailed information. I see a pdf on search, but it is a 2012 version.
3. I myself am dealing with a fascia bumper issue that was there since I bought it originally (bought cpo version). Dealership "repaired" but still issues persist. probably not covered under warranty?
https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865864-2018-cx9-Front-bumper-sticking-out-suggestions&highlight=

Speaking to point #3, do you mean the black plastic lining around the wheel arches? If so, that is covered under warranty and should be repaired or replaced. In my case, they replaced the fender lining and it looks much better now. Apologize if I misinterpreted the issue, my company's network blocks imgur so I'm not able to see the image you linked in the thread you posted.

No warranty work. No problems.

By the way, cast iron brake discs do not warp. I know, common chatter is about warped rotors. If they warped, which they do not do, the warpage would be into a cup shape, not runout. Brake discs develop an uneven layer of brake pad material deposited onto them. This is caused by brake usage that exceeds the design parameters of the pad friction material...the driver gets the brakes too hot. Removing the deposited material eliminates the brake chudder that is blamed on warped rotors. The material can be removed by resurfacing the rotors or simply by cleaning them with sandpaper and solvent. The pads need to be replaced by higher spec pads to prevent this from reoccurring.

You may say that, but it's wrong. These vehicles do not get the brakes "too hot". what happens is the mechanic ham-fists the lug nuts on, warps the hats, and when they heat up the warp is more apparent. I played this game with Nissan NA and they finally mentioned it with regards to the GT-R at a tech conference, and they applied this principal to my 370Z, and began hand-torquing lug nuts. No more warped rotors (previously turning them and even REPLACING them did nothing to solve the issue...because they got warped being installed).

These cars use ceramic pads. You aren't heating them up on your drive to work enough to transfer material.

Your info is as regards to metallic/semi-metallic pads driven hard at the track and then someone sits t here with the brakes applied. Not a grocery-getter with ceramic pads.

When it comes to warped rotors on a car like a CX5/CX9, I just replace them. Turning them won't fix hamfisted install that warped them. You MAY have success with proper install if the rotor moves back to its original shape. This wasn't my case, as they had massive run-out when spun up on the lathe regarding my 370Z.

Last edited:
Speaking to point #3, do you mean the black plastic lining around the wheel arches? If so, that is covered under warranty and should be repaired or replaced. In my case, they replaced the fender lining and it looks much better now. Apologize if I misinterpreted the issue, my company's network blocks imgur so I'm not able to see the image you linked in the thread you posted.

Unfortunately, no- it is termed the fascia I think- if you consider the two bumpers that split at the bottom of the headlights, there is a piece that is sticking out on the front end. Probably you can't see the picture, but actually it is sticking out a lot worse than the picture anyways. The initial evaluation was that some parts needed to be tightened- they did the work and too bad it didn't really actually fix the problem. It is impossible to get a hold of these guys, which is really making it a bad experience in general. I was considering calling mazda direct, but I think all they will say is sorry, but this is out of warranty.

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately, no- it is termed the fascia I think- if you consider the two bumpers that split at the bottom of the headlights, there is a piece that is sticking out on the front end. Probably you can't see the picture, but actually it is sticking out a lot worse than the picture anyways. The initial evaluation was that some parts needed to be tightened- they did the work and too bad it didn't really actually fix the problem. It is impossible to get a hold of these guys, which is really making it a bad experience in general. I was considering calling mazda direct, but I think all they will say is sorry, but this is out of warranty.

thanks for your reply!

I saw the picture, and that should definitely be covered under the warranty. As White Pearls suggested in your original thread, it's likely an issue with a loose or misaligned fastener. Definitely go back to the dealership and raise a stink, or get Mazda Corporate involved. If the car has never been in an accident, that would be considered a manufacturer defect. If not, then all of the CX-9s on the dealer's lot should be exhibiting the same issue. Mine does not look like that.

Don't be afraid to fight for this, this is exactly what your warranty is for.

I saw the picture, and that should definitely be covered under the warranty. As White Pearls suggested in your original thread, it's likely an issue with a loose or misaligned fastener. Definitely go back to the dealership and raise a stink, or get Mazda Corporate involved. If the car has never been in an accident, that would be considered a manufacturer defect. If not, then all of the CX-9s on the dealer's lot should be exhibiting the same issue. Mine does not look like that.

Don't be afraid to fight for this, this is exactly what your warranty is for.

Thanks for the encouragement. It is almost impossible to contact the original dealer though. I did put in an appointment with a dealer that is a little bit closer to me in hopes that they will see things differently and allow for the warranty repair.

Another question is that in the extended warranty statement, it is written that it is required for owner to go through scheduled maintenance within 1000 miles of recommended miles. If I didn't match the exact mileage, have anybody been rejected because of failing to follow maintenance schedule?

Due to closest mazda dealer being 1.5 hours away for me, I only went for the oil change and tire rotation the last time I went to the dealership.

So the only time that it was recorded I went through with actual mazda dealership maintenance is at mile 17k and now, I am at 25k.

Now, looking at the owners manual, it is said that the maintenance follows I need to go through a maintenance at 15k and at 22k miles or 1 year in between. I had this car less than one year so no issues with that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement. It is almost impossible to contact the original dealer though. I did put in an appointment with a dealer that is a little bit closer to me in hopes that they will see things differently and allow for the warranty repair.

The closer dealer should handle the problem. They all work for Mazda, and they all get compensated equally by Mazda for the warranty work that they perform. So it doesn't matter which dealer you go to for the work, as long as it gets done.

Another question is that in the extended warranty statement, it is written that it is required for owner to go through scheduled maintenance within 1000 miles of recommended miles. If I didn't match the exact mileage, have anybody been rejected because of failing to follow maintenance schedule?

As far as I know, there haven't been any issues regarding warranties or warranty rejections on this forum. Your best bet is to keep a copy of the recommended maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, and keep a log of when you did the service, as well as a copy of the invoice for that service that shows the date and the tech's signature. Alternatively, if you do your own maintenance like change your own oil, change your own cabin filter, etc., keep a log book of when you did the service, the mileage at the time, and keep receipts of the parts you used for the service. Also note when you perform self-inspections and when you lube the joints.

Now, looking at the owners manual, it is said that the maintenance follows I need to go through a maintenance at 15k and at 22k miles or 1 year in between. I had this car less than one year so no issues with that.

I believe the 1000 miles applies to 1000 miles after 15k or 22k. So if you perform the recommended maintenance at 15,700, then you're all good. But If you perform the 15k service 16,500, you might have issues. I don't think its that big of a deal though, it's more important to show that you performed the recommended service (or had the service done for you).

Back