16-17 owners ... what warranty work have you needed?

The closer dealer should handle the problem. They all work for Mazda, and they all get compensated equally by Mazda for the warranty work that they perform. So it doesn't matter which dealer you go to for the work, as long as it gets done.

As far as I know, there haven't been any issues regarding warranties or warranty rejections on this forum. Your best bet is to keep a copy of the recommended maintenance schedule in your owner's manual, and keep a log of when you did the service, as well as a copy of the invoice for that service that shows the date and the tech's signature. Alternatively, if you do your own maintenance like change your own oil, change your own cabin filter, etc., keep a log book of when you did the service, the mileage at the time, and keep receipts of the parts you used for the service. Also note when you perform self-inspections and when you lube the joints.

I believe the 1000 miles applies to 1000 miles after 15k or 22k. So if you perform the recommended maintenance at 15,700, then you're all good. But If you perform the 15k service 16,500, you might have issues. I don't think its that big of a deal though, it's more important to show that you performed the recommended service (or had the service done for you).

Thank you Sm1ke for your reply!

2017 Signature with almost 100,000 KM's and no warranty issues.

Recently did a full brake job (pads/rotors all 4 corners) replaced the belt, plugs and cabin filter...also updated the firmware on the infotainment system. Oil and filter every 5-8k (KM's)....including tire rotation. Brake fluid flush will be done before winter.

I do all my own work and keep meticulous records service logs and receipts. I have much better results through the years not letting those stealership apes touch my cars

Our warranty was a prime reason to buy this car, 3 year bumper to bumper and 5 year drive train with unlimited mileage.

Best car I have owned to date for reliability. Almost hope some stuff goes before warranty is out.

Oh and to get ahead of those that think I will not get warranty coverage doing all this myself, this is an excerpt from the Owners Manual:

For self maintenance, a statement that you completed the maintenance yourself, displaying mileage and the date the work was performed. Also, receipts for the replacement parts (fluid, filters, etc.) indicating the date and mileage must accompany this statement.

Last edited:
Just curious how 16/17 owner's vehicles are holding up? I have a 16 with about 25K and 5 months left of warranty. I've had to take it to the dealership to replace a few parts: bushing, springs etc. I was hearing lots of creaking noises when driving over bumps. The dealer did a warranty replacement and it took care of it, but there were other noises still happening, so I took it back today and they were able to confirm them...got more parts in order. I don't drive offroad or anything like that and although SoCal roads suck...shouldn't cause this.

Also...Since I purchased this vehicle I've hear a rattling noise that has been driving me crazy. Last night I finally figured out where it was coming from! The steering wheel... I was slowly driving in my neighborhood when I heard the noise and noticed that if I pulled the steering wheel towards me, the noise stopped. I told the mechanic at the dealer today and he confirmed it. Apparently it's the air bag module that they're going to replace? I hope that takes care of it b/c it seriously drives me crazy!

And as a side note...has anyone driven the '19? Is it quieter than the 16? In one of the reviews I think they measured the 16 at around 65-67 dB and more recently another channel was measuring the 19 at around 58 dB... but since they weren't using the same instruments, I'm curious?

While my vehicle doesnt qualify to be in this thread, (2018 CX-9) I just had the infotainment screen replaced at 20k.

For a while now, when in the sun, the screen had what looked like moisture bubbles under it.

Service guy said this is a known issue.
$1500 warranty repair.

2017 Signature with almost 100,000 KM's and no warranty issues.

Recently did a full brake job (pads/rotors all 4 corners) replaced the belt, plugs and cabin filter...also updated the firmware on the infotainment system. Oil and filter every 5-8k (KM's)....including tire rotation. Brake fluid flush will be done before winter.

Nice, glad to hear yours is running strong! How's the nappa leather holding up? Also, are you still on the OEM tires? If so, which ones? I've read a lot of reviews that stated they only got 25-65k on their Bridgestone Ecopia tires.

While my vehicle doesn*t qualify to be in this thread, (2018 CX-9) I just had the infotainment screen replaced at 20k.

For a while now, when in the sun, the screen had what looked like moisture bubbles under it.

Service guy said this is a known issue.
$1500 warranty repair.

Yikes. Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to keep an eye on mine.

Another question is that in the extended warranty statement, it is written that it is required for owner to go through scheduled maintenance within 1000 miles of recommended miles. If I didn't match the exact mileage, have anybody been rejected because of failing to follow maintenance schedule?
First, separate the original factory warranty from the so-called extended warranty. The original factory warranty is all that matters during the warranty period. If you don't get maintenance done on schedule, and you have a part failure that you try to get repaired under the warranty, and that failure is caused by you not doing maintenance...yep, that claim will be refused. I do not know if any car company has ever published how much grace period they give if the exact time or mileage for maintenance isn't observed. There is no way the entire warranty will be rendered void due to lack of maintenance, just parts that need the warranty service (oil changes, fluid level checks, etc.) You are protected by a strong federal law regarding warranties.

You do not need to get the maintenance work done at a dealership. Any licensed repair shop can do the work. Give them the list of required jobs shown in your owner's manual. Get all the items detailed on the service order and keep your copy. You can do the work yourself, but the record keeping must have a way to show that you did the work.

The so-called extended warranty is not a warranty. Read the fine print, and the word "warranty" is not used about this product. It is a prepaid repair contract. Contract law is not as consumer-friendly as warranty law. The repair contract covers what it says in writing as long as you perform the duties it requires of you in writing. If this contract says that you need to get certain maintenance work done on their schedule, then if you don't do it you have voided the contract.

The so-called extended warranty is not a warranty. Read the fine print, and the word "warranty" is not used about this product. It is a prepaid repair contract. Contract law is not as consumer-friendly as warranty law. The repair contract covers what it says in writing as long as you perform the duties it requires of you in writing. If this contract says that you need to get certain maintenance work done on their schedule, then if you don't do it you have voided the contract.

That is some excellent information that needs to be repeated many times, I learned all about the 3rd party warranty scam long ago...I preach it's banishment from people's lives every day. Simply self insure folks. It takes some discipline but set aside money for possible future repairs, you will come out ahead. Warranties in general are a form of gambling, the "Bookie" who is selling the product that is presented as a warranty simply sets the line where they know they will win over all as the saying goes "The house always wins". Sure there are some one off situations but in general you will always do better by self insuring for extended warranties.

There is a reason the selling of these products are so high pressure and frankly very persuasive. I walked from one dealer when purchasing this current CX9, I flat out refused an extended warranty basically speaking what I said above and dude went in on how many things can fail on the car. I said well the guy outside who sold me the car says its great but now your telling me this is a piece of crap with all these things that will go wrong...which is it? He looks at my wife and I %$& you not says "Are you ok with this?" Got up and left....never to return. They make huggge monies on these products.

@sm1ke The leather is doing great but note that I am pretty North (Near Ottawa Canada) where the UV is less of a factor. I do treat the leather about 3 times a year and the car is garage kept...this could be my long term car if all goes well.

So far only warranty work I've had done on my 2016 are:

1. Replace Squeaky rear passenger side spring due to MSP49 TSB 02-004/18
2. Black/blank screen from infotainment screen due to TSB 09-034/17

Also I requested the dealership to update PCM to latest version due to an intermittent shaky idle that causes whole car to tremble at a stoplight until I turn off and back on the car. This I had to pay about $90 out of pocket because they couldn't reproduce the issue and since there was no TSB or knowledge from Mazda, was unsure if a PCM update would fix the issue.

Also despite having decent pad material left, I have a front passenger brake squeal during light braking at low speeds that will likely need a pad replacement due to TSB 04-006/18.

Nothing too major being an early adopter of the 2nd gen redesign. Most of the TSBs for our vehicle can be found on NHTSA at: https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2016/MAZDA/CX-9#manufacturerCommunications

aleki2424 - I also hear this every now and then. Found this online that says its normal.

January 3, 2019 MANUFACTURER COMMUNICATION NUMBER: 04-001-19-3556
Components: SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
NHTSA ID Number: 10153319

Manufacturer Communication Number: 04-001-19-3556

Summary

Some customers may report a slight clunk/bang/buzz noise or jolt from the front of the vehicle. This concern will most likely occur during the vehicles first forward movement after starting the engine. This is a normal operating noise of the Anti-Lock
Brake System (ABS). Do not attempt any repairs. If you encounter a customer complaint for this concern, explain that the noise comes from the ABS/TCS/DSC "Malfunction Detection Function" initial check and that there is no problem. This initial checkis
a necessary function to ensure the normal operation of the ABS/TCS/DSC system. It occurs when the vehicles first moves forward under the following conditions. NOTE: Some customers may describe that the noise does not occur all the time. It does
occur all the time, but the sound is more likely to be heard on a slow start and not on a quick start (quick acceleration) when engine noise is louder.

New rear brake caliper, pads (not rotor as both got resurfaced) after the brake got stuck and overheated. Pay $100 deductible with the extended warranty as the vehicle is at $56K.

Latest posts

Back