16-17 owners ... what warranty work have you needed?

SDL

:
2016 Mazda CX-9 GT
Just curious how 16/17 owner's vehicles are holding up? I have a 16 with about 25K and 5 months left of warranty. I've had to take it to the dealership to replace a few parts: bushing, springs etc. I was hearing lots of creaking noises when driving over bumps. The dealer did a warranty replacement and it took care of it, but there were other noises still happening, so I took it back today and they were able to confirm them...got more parts in order. I don't drive offroad or anything like that and although SoCal roads suck...shouldn't cause this.

Also...Since I purchased this vehicle I've hear a rattling noise that has been driving me crazy. Last night I finally figured out where it was coming from! The steering wheel... I was slowly driving in my neighborhood when I heard the noise and noticed that if I pulled the steering wheel towards me, the noise stopped. I told the mechanic at the dealer today and he confirmed it. Apparently it's the air bag module that they're going to replace? I hope that takes care of it b/c it seriously drives me crazy!

And as a side note...has anyone driven the '19? Is it quieter than the 16? In one of the reviews I think they measured the 16 at around 65-67 dB and more recently another channel was measuring the 19 at around 58 dB... but since they weren't using the same instruments, I'm curious?

I test drove the 19 signature and didn*t notice any difference compared to the 18 signature I purchased after.

I purchased the '19 over an '18 primarily for the ventilated seats (I live in AZ) and Android Auto/Apple Carplay. I've since come to appreciate other added features like the 360 camera and folding mirrors. I only test drove the '19 so can't compare quietness from first hand experience but as far as I can tell the major change in that area was just making the removable floor mats thicker - they are thick and the carpet itself is pretty thin. Based on those observations I can't imagine there being a significant difference between the quietness of the '19 vs previous models.

Amazing that something as simple as thicker floor mats can make a difference in sound but that is one of the things they did. Good thing the car comes with them. Maybe I'll buy some 2019 floor mats for my 2018 lol..

Good to see no responses yet as to needed warranty work.

Just curious how 16/17 owner's vehicles are holding up? I have a 16 with about 25K and 5 months left of warranty. I've had to take it to the dealership to replace a few parts: bushing, springs etc. I was hearing lots of creaking noises when driving over bumps. The dealer did a warranty replacement and it took care of it, but there were other noises still happening, so I took it back today and they were able to confirm them...got more parts in order. I don't drive offroad or anything like that and although SoCal roads suck...shouldn't cause this.

Also...Since I purchased this vehicle I've hear a rattling noise that has been driving me crazy. Last night I finally figured out where it was coming from! The steering wheel... I was slowly driving in my neighborhood when I heard the noise and noticed that if I pulled the steering wheel towards me, the noise stopped. I told the mechanic at the dealer today and he confirmed it. Apparently it's the air bag module that they're going to replace? I hope that takes care of it b/c it seriously drives me crazy!

And as a side note...has anyone driven the '19? Is it quieter than the 16? In one of the reviews I think they measured the 16 at around 65-67 dB and more recently another channel was measuring the 19 at around 58 dB... but since they weren't using the same instruments, I'm curious?

Driver side mirror (the mirror itself) was wiggling while driving at highway speeds...they replaced entire mirror (mirror and clip holding it) under warranty of course but other than that no other issues after over 2 yrs of ownership

Driver side mirror (the mirror itself) was wiggling while driving at highway speeds...they replaced entire mirror (mirror and clip holding it) under warranty of course but other than that no other issues after over 2 yrs of ownership

Interesting, this is one of the first things I noticed in both side-view mirrors on my drive home from the dealership at the beginning of the month ('19 GT AWD). I thought about asking about it but figured I'd get the "they all do that" response. Letting some of the air out of the tires helped as the dealer left them up around 42-46 psi. I'll keep an eye on it-- and YES, hopefully the lack of response to this thread is a good sign regarding Mazda's reliability rating!

Just something really minor for me. I have an 18 with half the mileage you have. I noticed that the front fender/wheel plastic trims started showing some minor gaps (1-2 mm separation from the painted panels). It looked like some clips had come loose, but I couldn't push the trim back into place. Dealer replaced them under warranty, no questions asked, and it looks great again, but I am watching it.

computer of the car was changed due to a faulty barometer which made the cx9 "think" it was 5000 meters below sea level. believe me the dash looked like a christmas tree, hte second warranty was front disc brakes which were warped. i have hd no other issues

A few rattles and squeaks and a new rear brake caliper, pads and rotor after the brakes got stuck and overheated. The brakes were outside the 36k warranty but Mazda still covered it.

No warranty work. No problems.

By the way, cast iron brake discs do not warp. I know, common chatter is about warped rotors. If they warped, which they do not do, the warpage would be into a cup shape, not runout. Brake discs develop an uneven layer of brake pad material deposited onto them. This is caused by brake usage that exceeds the design parameters of the pad friction material...the driver gets the brakes too hot. Removing the deposited material eliminates the brake chudder that is blamed on warped rotors. The material can be removed by resurfacing the rotors or simply by cleaning them with sandpaper and solvent. The pads need to be replaced by higher spec pads to prevent this from reoccurring.

No warranty work. No problems.

By the way, cast iron brake discs do not warp. I know, common chatter is about warped rotors. If they warped, which they do not do, the warpage would be into a cup shape, not runout. Brake discs develop an uneven layer of brake pad material deposited onto them. This is caused by brake usage that exceeds the design parameters of the pad friction material...the driver gets the brakes too hot. Removing the deposited material eliminates the brake chudder that is blamed on warped rotors. The material can be removed by resurfacing the rotors or simply by cleaning them with sandpaper and solvent. The pads need to be replaced by higher spec pads to prevent this from reoccurring.

Interesting, thanks!

"warping" can also be caused by the over-torquing of wheel lug nuts and i would put my money on it being the most common reason. i am actually impressed that my local discount tire store using torque wrenches to finish mounting wheels. if i take my vehicles anywhere i can't see the tires being mounted i generally loosen up the nuts and re-tighten them with my torque wrench.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1642

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/tire_changing

If they warped, which they do not do, the warpage would be into a cup shape, not runout. Brake discs develop an uneven layer of brake pad material deposited onto them. This is caused by brake usage that exceeds the design parameters of the pad friction material...

My only issue thus far is my driver windshield fluid nozzle decided to stop working one day in the middle of winter. Dealer replaced the nozzle under warranty. Other minor gripe is the infotainment system resetting itself multiple times when the car is cold, but not enough of a hassle for me to take it to the dealership for the TSB work yet since the weather is warming up now. 2017 GT with 26,xxx km (16,xxx miles).

I am taking mine in soon, so no feedback yet on the cause but after shifting from reverse to drive under low speed conditions (like backing up), I am hearing a faint clunk on the transmission. I have only experienced this when I've been driving for a while. The rear middle seatbelt latch in the back also seems to get intermittently jammed.

Mine is a 2017 with 26k miles

I am taking mine in soon, so no feedback yet on the cause but after shifting from reverse to drive under low speed conditions (like backing up), I am hearing a faint clunk on the transmission. I have only experienced this when I've been driving for a while. The rear middle seatbelt latch in the back also seems to get intermittently jammed.

Mine is a 2017 with 26k miles

Should you be shifting from Reverse to Drive while the car is still moving? Wouldn't that cause undue wear on the transmission? I always come to a stop before switching gears.

Should you be shifting from Reverse to Drive while the car is still moving? Wouldn't that cause undue wear on the transmission? I always come to a stop before switching gears.

I worded my comment in a confusing way, but no. I always come to a full stop before shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa, always. The noise I am talking about happens immediately when I press the accelerator after shifting. The conditions for this can be park->drive, drive->park, and reverse->drive (always at full stop).

I worded my comment in a confusing way, but no. I always come to a full stop before shifting from reverse to drive and vice versa, always. The noise I am talking about happens immediately when I press the accelerator after shifting. The conditions for this can be park->drive, drive->park, and reverse->drive (always at full stop).

Ah I see. Hmm, keep us posted with what the dealer says. Mine doesn't do that, but I only have 20,000 km on mine.

Interesting, this is one of the first things I noticed in both side-view mirrors on my drive home from the dealership at the beginning of the month ('19 GT AWD). I thought about asking about it but figured I'd get the "they all do that" response. Letting some of the air out of the tires helped as the dealer left them up around 42-46 psi. I'll keep an eye on it-- and YES, hopefully the lack of response to this thread is a good sign regarding Mazda's reliability rating!

Regarding the driver mirror having a slight vibration at higher speeds. It seems to be normal my 2018 cx5 does it , as did another I drove. Also I just drove a 2019 Mazda 3 to check it out and the driver mirror does the exact same thing. Its very slight so it is what it is.

The only issue I have had is being rear ended! And even thought the car has been "fixed", there is now a slight rattle coming from the back when going over bumps.

Also, my computer mileage is always exactly 0.4 MPG less than manually calculated. This is on 13 tanks in a row and counting.

Currently have almost 42,000 miles on our 16 GT AWD. Warranty issues have consisted of squeaky rear suspension (replaced with no issues ) and a constant concern with the infotainment system. Weve had blank screens, locked screens, etc... numerous updates and a screen replacement (all under warranty) have seemed to fix it.

Currently the left rear brakes squeak like a school bus and the passenger door edge weather seal is misplaced. But overall we love the car and plan on keeping it for quite a while.

Back